1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with Loneliness

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Zoe, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Everyone,

There's a lot going on in my life right now--suddenly things have sped up--and as a result, I have a lot of questions. So please forgive me for starting a lot of threads.

So--long story short, I came out to my husband on Wednesday (three days ago). Today (Saturday), he tells me he's hiring a divorce lawyer on Monday. He also cut himself off from me emotionally very abruptly. And I know him--once he's cut him self off like that, he's not opening up again. He's gone into self-protection mode, which will be the basis for a different thread. This is what I mean by things happening suddenly.

Lots of emotions going one right now, but what's floating to the surface right now is my fear of loneliness. I was married once before, and I spent about 5 years as a single woman after that divorce. I was absolutely miserable. I had a job and friends, but I was incredibly lonely. All of my friends were married with children, and I had no one to call upon to come over on a Saturday night to watch girly movies and eat pop corn, if you know what I mean. And I'm also involved in community activities, so I saw lots of people during the day, but coming home to an empty house night after night left me feeling very dark.

My loneliness drove me into despair and into the worst depression I've ever known, including suicidal thoughts.

I think I'm a little more together now, but I'm worried about loneliness descending once we split, which looks like it'll happen very soon. I still don't have any single friends, and hanging out with my friends' families, while fun for a little while, begins to remind me of what I don't have. I also start feeling like an extra wheel--but I do realize how kind my friends are for including me.

So, for those of you who have left spouses or other long term partners once you came out, how did/do you deal with loneliness? I'm trying to be proactive--to come up with a strategy before I'm down in a pit of emotion.

Thanks so much--for this and for all the advice and perspective I've gained from this forum already.

--Zoe

2. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Zoe, I'm sorry hear what's happening. It is so hard to go through this transition and on top of it to fear the loneliness. In my twenties, before marriage, I went through a great deal of loneliness; I think it was one of the things that impelled me to marry. I am fearful of loneliness too, very much. Right now, we are altogether. But within a couple of years my kids will be gone and we will split up. I have not yet dealt with this so I can't give you advice, but I certainly understand the worry. I feel I will need to keep myself very busy and build up a network. This is hard because I've become a homebody. Change is inevitable. I don't know where you live but it would be good to form a network and meet other women who you can connect with. I'm in a gay men's group now and am looking at other activites available for gay men. And, come here to EC for support. Hugs. (*hug*)(*hug*)

---------- Post added 1st Jun 2013 at 06:23 PM ----------

Unfortunately, severe depression and I are old friends (or enemies). I have been extremely depressed and suicidal at times. You are not alone with this. I feel with depression, as hard as it is, the worst thing is to give into it and not act to help yourself. There's such a strong pull to be passive and let the depression take you over. Push yourself to take some action, be with people and find comforting things to do. Take care.

3. wrhla

I'm sorry that you're feeling so sad Zoe. I agree that loneliness is can be oppressive. But the difference between now and after your first marriage is that you're out of the closet now. That should give you a sense of freedom you didn't have before. I'm not saying it'll be a bed of roses. It will be a challenge to regain your footing, but having read a lot of your posts, I'm pretty sure you'll manage it.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The depression is the most important thing you need to be address, though you will have to deal with the other issues. Depression often comes from loneliness. This would be totally understandable when you're struggling with something critical in life, without the support system you need and deserve.

If you find that the depression is not lifting, do not delay in seeking help from someone who is qualified and not judgmental. I know depression quite well. As for the relationship part, I'm not that experienced. It seems that people often struggle with depression for a longer span of time in their lives than they are actually in any one relationship.

5. diegohrz

I don't know your exact situation, but there are some similarities to mine. As far as the loneliness goes, and if this kind of help is available to you, you might want to try to work on the depression through therapy? Try to see this moment as an opportunity to address your loneliness and why it leads to depression. What has worked for me to a certain extent is purposefully being alone and trying to accept that this is not pathetic or sad. I don't know if this is the case for you, but my fear of loneliness is what led me to be in an intense relationship with a woman while doubting my sexuality, which now means that on top of finally dealing with my sexual orientation issues, I have to process the most painful break up of my life. I know it sounds really corny, but I truly believe have to love yourself first before you can love another. You have to give your own life purpose, regardless of other people. Maybe it's not a bad thing that he is cutting himself off completely. It will force you to deal with your own issues. Try not to lose yourself in what ifs. You cannot change the past. So try to see this as an opportunity to finally address an issue you have always had and work on the root of your problem. Look towards the future. As I reread this, I'm thinking I'm kind of all over the place so I don't know if I've said anything helpful, but anyway: I really hope you can work this out, and know you are not alone. Good luck

6. SwirlingOcean

I'm sorry. This sounds like a very tough spot to be in. But you ARE stronger now because you know exactly who you are and have come face to face with it. Just that alone is amazing. I don't know how long it will take to feel "normal" again since this is very new for me too. But I think once you really settle into yourself you will realize that you are an amazing caring person that has a lot to offer the world. Your posts on here have really helped me. Knowing that you are awesome will help you radiate that to others and people will come to you.

But someone mentioned therapy and I think that is a good idea too. Maybe someone that specializes in LGBT issues. They can probably refer to other groups and events to meet people and make friends with others who are going through the same things. In the meantime, we are all here.

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You never get used to loneliness I don't think, you learn to live with it, but you never get used to it :frowning2:

8. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Diegohrz--Thank you so much for your advice. I think your absolutely right. And I really like your point about needing to love yourself--even it is cliched. :slight_smile: Hey--things become cliched for a reason. Now that you've prompted me to think it, there were lots of things going on in my life last time that made me not like myself very much--nothing to do with being gay. But now, those things are out of my life, or I've come to terms with them, so I'm already starting in a better place.

Also, I've been through this before, so maybe knowing what to expect will help me cut it off at the pass.

And yes--I do need to deal with why being along makes me depressed. I have to say, I have seen it as sort of pathetic, but I live in a place where being a single woman my age is something of an anomaly, so it's hard not to see myself as not fitting into the norm, and even though I know that's perfectly OK, it's still enough to bring me down.

Thank you so much for taking the time to offer such thoughtful words. This is such a great community.

--Zoe

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2013 at 03:16 PM ----------

Thank you, Arturoenrico, for your kind words and solid advice. Just knowing I'm not alone in this makes me feel better, although I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I know how loneliness can lead you into situations. I felt so bad, and was so anxious to relieve the loneliness that I made some, well, let's call them poor choices. :slight_smile:

Yes, once I give into depression, it's pretty much over. Once the apathy sets in, it's difficult to do anything to help yourself. I'm hoping that having been in that position once before, I'll be on the lookout for the signs, and I'll be able to be more proactive.

Thank you--this has been such a great community.

--Zoe

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2013 at 03:20 PM ----------

Thanks, Tightrope, for your advice. As I've read these replies as well as others, I'm dismayed by how many people in this community have suffered severe depression. I hope for all of us that as we find our true selves and our voices, we'll struggle less with this debilitating illness.

--Zoe

9. diegohrz

I don't know how to quote only a certain amount of text, cuz I suck with computers, so I just copied and pasted it :icon_bigg

Also, I've been through this before, so maybe knowing what to expect will help me cut it off at the pass.

^ you're already seeing upsides. Yay!

And yes--I do need to deal with why being along makes me depressed. I have to say, I have seen it as sort of pathetic, but I live in a place where being a single woman my age is something of an anomaly, so it's hard not to see myself as not fitting into the norm, and even though I know that's perfectly OK, it's still enough to bring me down.

^ Yes, having a life companion must be great, and true love does exist I am sure, but don't let society's expectations of you dictate your life. If you'd know what's hidden beneath the surface with a lot of those couples you talk about, I don't think you'd be jealous. You never know what happens behind closed doors :slight_smile:. If you find being happy alone difficult because of your surroundings, maybe change those? For example, city life makes being single more "socially acceptable" than when you live in the suburbs. Do what is within your might to become happier. Change only what you can change, because trying to change what you can't will only leave you frustrated. Also, realise that western society also dictates you to be happy. Preferably all the time. Know that this is just an image that is created by society and perpetuated by people. People who struggle like you, who fall and get up again. People generally pretend to be happier than they actually are, try not to get caught up in this.

Thank you so much for taking the time to offer such thoughtful words. This is such a great community.

^ Well, you seem like a very nice person yourself, who really puts in an effort to listen to what's being said, so you deserve it. Happy times (!)

10. Colcha

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm sorry you are going through this Zoe - I went through the abrupt divorce back in late 2011. It was very difficult emotionally. I wasn't forced out of the house until it sold which was last June. I then live with my dear friends who are married for about 8 months which helped so much and I didn't have to face that loneliness. I've been in my own apartment since April and am quite happy, but lonliness does creep up from time to time. I do maintain a friendliness with my ex since my daughter lives with him. I have also met a few great women friends on **********. That may not be for you, but I find great support there.

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Zoe,

Many of those who posted here seem to have hit the bull's-eye question, why is solitude equated with loneliness?

This question is a deep issue that needs to be addressed. I am enjoying my solitude, I like my own company. Yes, we are social creatures, but we are also creative, curious, thoughtful and independent creatures as well.

At this time, in North America, there are more people living alone than ever before. Many have wondered what these singletons do with their time. Probably what I am doing right now, and probably more of it!

I wish you all the best in dealing with this blight of loneliness and learn to enjoy the things that only solitude can offer.

12. Wendy Lo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Zoe,

Sorry for what is going on in your life. I can not advise you very much on loneliness, but I can on depression. I am currently seeing a therapist due to depression. Not because of my "new found" sexuality, but because of being unemployed for 2.5 years. I realized it when I found I was no longer finding joy in my grandchildren and was angry about everything. I have seen the therapist 3 times and it is helping. I thought I was "to strong" to seek help, and have realized that maybe I am strong enough to seek help instead.

All of my friends are married, have boyfriends or "lives of their own." I know what you mean by 3rd wheel, it's lousy. All but one lives more than 50 miles from me, so I am not included in a lot of stuff they do. This does make me lonely. Because of my situation, I have joined a couple of on-line groups (not dating sites) so that I can meet other women.

I think if you know that the depression is probably going to occur, then find someone to talk to now, so that when it starts (if it starts) you will be able to better deal with it.

13. Venturing

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Zoe, I've been watching the boards for a while and I am just starting to post. I came out to my husband last year. He and I have both gone through the five stages of grief, several times up and down, and back and forth. I knew that depression would most likely be a more intense stage, and would linger, so I tried to watch for signs and head it off. I was just going to say that after 45 years I know myself pretty well, but then realized my situation and the irony of posting in the LGBT later in life section.... Anyways, I've had some very low points, always centered around my kids and the thought of how this will affect them. Thankfully they have been short lived, but i think the real challenges are yet to come. My husband and I have good days and bad days. We've discussed every possible outcome to our situation, and we have decided that we need to move on, separately. We are getting ready to move forward in the next few months. Anyways, I just wanted to reach out and say that you are not alone.

14. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahh--such wise words. You're so right, and it's great to be reminded of all of this.

Yes, I know what you mean about things not always being what they appear. And that is great to be reminded of. Plus, I think when I'm unhappy, I have a tendency to see everyone else as very happy. So when I see those couples, I take it at face value that they're the smiling, happy couple they pretend to be. And of course, as you wisely said, that is not always the case.

And how did you know I lived in the suburbs? :slight_smile: In fact, I live in family central. Three types of families live here: Those with small children, retired couples, and me. Brightly colored plastic climbing toys decorate about one in every three back yards here. In the mornings, I can sit and drink my tea and watch the parade of young, fit mothers pushing trendy jogging strollers past my house. I love my house and this is a beautiful place, but it's fair to say that I don't have a peer group here. A move closer into town might be just the thing. Very wise words about changing only what you can.

I liked, too, what you said about Western society dictation that you should always be happy (as well as a host of other things). So true. But it's so embedded in my/our consciousness, that it's difficult to remember it's only a construct. Thanks for the reminder.

^ Well, you seem like a very nice person yourself, who really puts in an effort to listen to what's being said, so you deserve it. Happy times (!)

Thank you for the very kind words. This community has already given so much to me, it's nice to know I'm giving something back.

Thank you so much for your post.
    --Zoe

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2013 at 08:12 AM ----------

Thanks, Colcha--

I appreciate the support, and I'm sorry to hear you went through something simliar. I'm hoping that my (ex) husband and I can remain friends, but he's very worried about his reputation and how people will view him, knowing he was married to a lesbian (gasp!). I don't think he'll be prone to stay in touch, although maybe things will settle once the dust has cleared.

I'm so glad you had friends to take you in. What kind people. I'm glad to hear you're through the worst of it. Part of me is excited about my new life, and while I'm excited about the possibility of being in a relationship with a woman, I know better than to rush into something in this burst of euphoria I feel for finally coming out--assuming an opportunity would present itself. But I am excited about becoming more involved with the LGBT community here, small though it may be, and that will also be a way to make friends.

What's so wonderful about all these responses I'm getting is that not only are people making good recommendations, they're helping me think of my own and giving me a new perspective on the situation.

People here are wonderful.

Thank you so much for your post. It did me good. :slight_smile:

--Zoe

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2013 at 08:15 AM ----------

Thank you, Great Whale. And I appreciate your reminder that solitude is not a bad thing. I think perhaps last time, I just had a little too much of it. :slight_smile:

But your point is well made and taken. I know I'll be referring back to this string often in the coming months, and your post is a nice reminder that this time alone, without the obligations of others, is a gift. I'll try to make better use of it.

--Zoe

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2013 at 08:20 AM ----------

Thank you, Wendy, for your post. I'm sorry that you're in a similar situation with loneliness. And I love my friends for including me, but it can be strange when I'm out with them at someplace like the water park. There's my friend, her two children (all my friends seem to have two children about the same age--11 and 7) and me. The strange thing is, I really don't have a role to play, if that makes any sense. That happened when I visited my extended family recently--everyone there was a parent or spouse or grandparent or some combination, and then there was me. Everyone was running around doing their thing with the children and I just didn't know what to do with myself most of the time. Again, I know they mean well and love me, and I play a role, too, in that I didn't dive in more, but that's not really my personality. So I was left feeling lonely in the midst of a bunch of chaos.

All of this is to say that I'm sorry you're have a rough time right now--both with loneliness and the job search. I'm glad you found something to talk to. Your'e right-that can be extremely helpful.

Thanks for touching base. I wish you well.

--Zoe

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2013 at 08:25 AM ----------

Thank you for your post, Venturing. It means a great deal that you would reach out to me like this. I'm terribly sorry that even after a year or so, you are still struggling so much with the relationship with your husband. I know it can be so different when their are kids involved, but I don't know that from first hand experience. While my divorce is going to be abrupt (my husband can't stand the idea of being married to a lesbian), and that's tough, I'm almost glad it's not going to be a drawn out process. He so much wants me to find a way to say that I'm bi and to stay married, but the idea of that is pretty much intolerable to me. So no use bickering over it for several more months and putting us both through hell.

I'm glad you've come to EC. As you can see, there are many of us in similar positions. I hope you come here often and post so we can help you out. Great bunch of people here.

--Zoe

15. diegohrz

Haha, I'm no psychic. It wast just an example. Maybe I sort of assumed it from what you were telling about "I live in a place where being a single woman my age is something of an anomaly, so it's hard not to see myself as not fitting into the norm, and even though I know that's perfectly OK, it's still enough to bring me down". Also, I moved from a small town to a bigger city (big city by Belgian standards, which is still tiny), so maybe that's why I mentioned it. My coming out was far from a choice, it had to do with circumstances, but I could not have imagined doing this in my home town. Cities are a bit more anonymous and faceless, which can sometimes be a good thing :slight_smile:. It can however also lead to another kind of solitude. I understand that it would definitely be nice for you to have a group of peers you can relate to. Sometimes, making friends just IS hard. I hope things get better for you soon. In the meanwhile, I hope you find at least a minimum of support from things like this online community :wink:. Feel free to talk to me anytime

16. Joulesx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your story is very similar to mine. I always knew I was bi and my husband was aware of that. However the pieces simply kept coming together for me. I have known I was gay for quite some time. I just came out to my husband about a month ago. It's been a very rough month. He shut himself off from me...then opened back up...then got mean...then threatened to take the kids from me.... It's been an absolute roller coaster. I've had good days and bad days. Today just happened to be one of those bad days. And today I found EC.

As far as the depression goes, I've definitely had my experience with depression/anxiety. Do you have a therapist or counselor? Do you take, or have you ever taken medications for depression? Are you open to this? These are all questions to ponder in your own mind as the answers to them are for your knowledge only...

And as diegohrz mentioned above, finding social support is important. Even if it is "only" online.

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad you found us, in this little shelter from the storm. Welcome to EC, Joulesx!

18. PeteNJ

First, I've really spent time in therapy getting that it's perfectly fine to be alone and feel what ever I'm feeling. Sadness, loneliness, worry, anxiety. In fact its darned healthy.

I've spent a few nights getting wasted (drunk) instead of dealing with it -- and that's been a lesson too.

OTOH -- I have committed to myself to never, ever spend night after night on the sofa watching stupid TV wrapped in a blanket with the cats next to me. NEVER!

I've joined meetups, check the calendars at LGBT centers for events... and while it is ok to once and a while be alone and wallow -- beyond occasionally it IS unhealthy.

Lessons for me -- reach out to friends (straight & gay), take a deep breath - go to something where I know no one and have a fun time anyway.

19. phoenixinflames

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I understand how anyone with loneliness feels. I haven't dated anyone in like three years. It's very difficult to meet people in this small-minded town/county I live in. I could move to a bigger town, but it would effect me career wise. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm doing the therapy thing. It's great....refreshing and enlightening.
    I'm out to immediate family and close friends. I'm in a career and live in a town that doesn't take too lightly to the whole homosexual thing. Any advice anyone can give me would be great.

phoenixinflames

20. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think loneliness is an internal feeling about a loss of connection to others. It may feel more intense when someone is alone or in solitary; I don't equate it solitude. But one can feel lonely in a room full of people. I feel it is a hard feeling to cope with. At times solitude is ok for me. Loneliness feels like there is no one really there for me, who truly knows me or accepts me as I am.