1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thank you, EC and community

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by biAnnika, Jun 1, 2013.

1. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a member of two sexuality-related online communities, EC and another more specific to bisexuals. Each of the two has its good points and advantages.

But I want to acknowledge Empty Closets and the people who post here...you are some amazingly wonderful and supportive people! When a person posts with a problem or a question, you people are *always* there with insights, lessons learned, deep thoughts, practical advice, and invariably, support and love.

All EC members should appreciate this about this place: on my other site, people who ask questions or seek advice do find answers and insights...but too often it is amid a wash of nastiness, agendas, party lines, and sometimes subtle or even outright attack.

So far I have *mostly* been a reader and poster/supporter here...but in the future I may well be one of the ones who needs support, insights, or answers. When I do, you can bet those posts will be made here, rather than there.

Thank you to all who make this place what it is!

2. pnattmbtc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for reading my mind and writing my post for me. :slight_smile:

I agree totally about this site. I actually closed my account at another "support" sight, because I started receiving "private" invitations, not friend requests mind you..I know the difference, at any rate. EC has helped me stay balanced. Folks are supportive but they are also willing to "share their opinions" on why another choice or decision may be a better way to go.

Thanks again for the post biAnnika!

3. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)

4. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    (&&&)(&&&)(&&&) I think everyone on EC will appreciate your kind words (*hug*) Thank You (!)

5. EllieAugust

I also love this place- it has changed my life!

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    EC is the reason I came out to my Mom, the Members on here are amazing :slight_smile:

7. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This site has helped me so much; I'm so appreciative. Everyone is kind and supportive. It just really works for me.

8. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I couldn't agree more! I was just thinking of posting something very similar. I haven't been on this site very long, but it say it has changed my life wouldn't be an understatement.

For the first week or so, I mostly read and replied where I could. Then, things became messy here, and I've started posting questions. And just like you said, the responses I've gotten have been caring and thoughtful. I actually teared up at a few and laughed out loud (because the post was meant to be funny--not because I thought the post was silly) at some others.

I had a bad day yesterday on the homefront, and I immediately turned to this site. Almost instantly I relaxed--there are people out there who understand what I'm going through. I can't tell you how much better it made me feel to know I wasn't alone.

So thank you, thank you for your post and a huge thanks to everyone out there for being your wonderful selves.

I almost never use emoticons (here or anywhere else), but I feel one is warranted here. :slight_smile:

(&&&)

--Zoe

9. Biotech49

I came out in late December of 2012 but came onto this site because all of my friends have been out for awhile. They know where I am coming from but are removed from it by several years or even decades. I wanted to get a fresh view on being new to the LGBTQ world and this site has been amazing!
    :eusa_clap
    (&&&)

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From the few LGBT people that I have met before finding this wonderful place, I have always found them to be a little more savvy in the ways of the heart, just a little more sophisticated about relationships and their dynamics.

It seems LGBT folk have always, even before the internet, come together (out of necessity) to hash out these issues and to recognize in each other things that otherwise seemed so unique and unusual.

So my take on this site would be that it is a continuation of a long tradition, an ongoing conversation that the internet has enabled us to stumble into, and to continue.

Let's also take a moment to commend the "rules" of this site, as without them, this would be an entirely different experience!

11. Martjain

Hah! You took the words right out of my mouth! I was gonna post something similar, it's great that this community exists as a shelter for everybody inside and outside of the LGBT community. And it's healthy to acknowledge how great this place is.

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2013 at 11:06 PM ----------

Btw, can I ask you what's the name of that bisexual community you mentioned? I want to check it out since I'm also bisexual. I'm not gonna betray you guys haha, don't worry.

12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'm saying that I find this place to be special among LGBT forums. The other site to which I belong also has rules. It even has a moderator who bans people who get *too* far out of hand (although he tends to have a rather high threshold for banning). What it lacks is a membership who are by and large supportive and loving...who think first of how to help a person in need, rather than how to find the offense in their statement, situation, or question.

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2013 at 10:31 PM ----------

Absolutely, Martjain...only I *think* there's a rule here about publicly linking to other sites, especially ones with adult content (because we have such a young membership here). Become a full member, and I'll be happy to send you the URL in a private message.

13. Martjain

Oh I didn't know it had adult content, thanks anyway.

14. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know just which site you're speaking of, and believe me, EC is definitely the better candidate for support and advice it seems. Before registering, I scanned a little over half a dozen others to see where I'd feel most comfortable and benefit more from. Sure, it's dominated by gay men, and there are slightly more teenagers than I'm used to, but overall those are small complaints a person can live with. The biggest hurdle was telling myself 'these are your people' and taking the leap.

Haven't regretted it yet!

15. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oops! And I didn't notice your age...sorry about that, but the site does have an 18 year old age requirement.

Ok, I'll revise...become a full member and I'll pm you a link to the site as an 18th birthday present!

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2013 at 12:42 AM ----------

Very interesting if we're talking about the same site. In that site's defense, there are some incredibly awesome, thoughtful, loving and supportive people there, and you can get perspectives and kinds of information there that you can't get here. There's definitely a reason I've been a member there for 7ish years and still spend time there.

But as a place where support and thoughtfulness is the *mode*, and rudeness let alone attack is rare...well, this place is awesome.

I'm glad you found your people, took the leap, and have had no regrets!