1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out but married; what to do?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by merlin, Jun 8, 2013.

1. merlin

merlin Guest

Hi fellow EC'ers,
    I only joined two days ago and enjoyed reading some of the discussions on a variety of topics. One of the things that struck me is the somewhat negative comments on married gay guys who are perhaps considered to be only interested in short term pleasures. Being a married possibly gay man who just came out to his wife and some friends I must say I don't recognize myself in that stereotype if you like, but I do see where it is coming from (yes, I heard about the parking lot stories etc.). I am serious about exploring my sexuality but I don't know how to do that without running into that issue of being that "married guy". If I would approach someone I like and be honest about still being married, I'm sure it will become a major obstacle. Don't get me wrong, I do understand that. I would probably also have second thoughts in that situation. Friends also told me I should not "use" a (gay) relationship as the trigger to get out of my current marriage. That is not fair to my new relationship or my wife. However, getting a divorce, live on my own is also a scary thought especially at my age (53). I would be very interested hearing from others who have gone similar experiences how they dealt with this issue. Is is fair to explore, go out there and engage in a potential relationship before I leave my wife, but with the serious intention to pursue that new relationship (so, not just looking for a fling). Am I too selfish, too much looking for a safety net? (perhaps that is a indeed a rhetorical question)

Please, let me know what you think? Just so you know, I'm not religious, so those arguments do not work for me.:icon_wink

Thanks (*hug*)

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'll ask the big question first - what does your wife think of all this?

Lex

3. merlin

merlin Guest

Hi Lex,

She thinks I should explore my sexuality, and is supportive of my current situation. Of course, whether that will remain if I would engage in a relationship, I can't really say. Does that make sense?

4. aliveandwell

aliveandwell Guest

hey Lex,

re: "She thinks I should explore my sexuality, and is supportive of my current situation."

Are the two of you in agreement about what "explore my sexuality" means? And "supportive"?

There are hundreds of ways to be "married". Or not. If I were either of you I'd just want to know I'm going forward with both eyes open - with ALL parties informed and on the same page. Seems only fair. Open communication makes for a level playing field and nobody getting blind-sided. And yes, I'd agree w/your friends that using a relationship to trigger an ending of the marriage would be a guaranteed mess. That scenario never goes well. And btw, I've been advised the same.

There's lots I'm considering also right now - with a wife who has a lot of unresolved anger that I'm a too handy punching bag for - to the point I question her mental health. Part of me loves the fantasy of being swept outta this mess. But it's my mess - shared with my wife - and if it needs to end I want to end it straightforward - not by default. Lots to consider. I seek a lot of help with the consideration. Been in therapy for five years with a man who happens to be gay. His main street cred for me though, is his experience caring for his partner who died of melanoma. He knows this cancer shit and the toll it takes on a relationship from the inside. The fact he happens to be gay means he also is someone I can talk openly about my sexuality, desire, challenges - the whole thing. He's my best ally - along with one good friend who encourages me, has faith in me, reminds me of my courage and advises me to question, but to not make any rash moves. That is, unless you want the drama -- as some folks do. Honest, vulnerable conversation - though uncomfortable, will lead you forward eventually. But while it's working out -- it's messy. Take my word -- fuckin' messy! But alive and real. The only kind of relationship I'm interested in.

Also, this Monday I'm taking a big step and meeting with my local Center for Independent Living - an advocacy agency for folks with disabilities. Maybe they can help me figure out how to live on a pittance of Social Security Disability as an independent man. Yep, scary shit at our age - especially with limited funds and ability to work. You're not alone, man. Good luck with yours.

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, you say you are questioning your sexuality, what does that mean to you?

It could mean you have never had gay sex right up gay sex while married but through denial labeled it something else (just physical) but an emotional side has reared its head raising complications.

6. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Merlin,

Your comment about the "married gay man" struck a chord with me. Honestly, I've never heard those comments, but I'm new to the game. What struck me was that my husband, to whom I came out to about a week ago, often hurls that same accusation at me. In his words, I'm ending our marriage because I "want to get my rocks off with some girl." He can't see that this is as much about emotional connection with a woman as it is about sex--really, even more so.

When I told my husband, we decided to divorce, although he is not very happy about. He is struggling to understand how I'm throwing what he sees as a perfectly good marriage to pursue someone else (a fictional someone else--there is absolutely no one else in the picture).

As hideous as my situation is, it was important for me to end our marriage quickly after coming out. Once I came out, it became sort of stupidly obviously that I was gay, and I have every interest in looking to date women. It was important to me to have this relationship completely over before even looking for another. From my perspective, even with open communication, it really isn't fair to all parties--or at least, it doesn't make it easy for everyone involved.

I should also say that my marriage has some very deep-seated issues that have absolutely nothing to do with my sexuality, ones that my husband, because of who he is, can't see or acknowledge. But I have not been happy in my marriage, and even before coming out, was looking for ways to leave it. So while my husband feels like I'm throwing away a good marriage, I feel exactly the opposite.

I do second (or third) the advice that you should talk to your wife and be clear on what exactly her idea of support and exploration are. My husband initially said he was happy for me and would support me, but that's no longer the case, and it turned ugly very quickly. So be as clear and open with your wife as possible, and ask that she be the same with you.

Good luck. I know how hard this is.

--Zoe

7. bdman

Greetings young warlock!

8. merlin

merlin Guest

Thank you all for your insights. I truly appreciate your reactions and sharing your own experiences. Let me get a few things straight in response to some questions. No, I haven't been in any sexual relationship with a man (up to this point) and although I have a major crush on someone who is a trusted friend, he does not reciprocate and I don't think this will ever be the case. So, at this point, I'm not doing an active exploration but I know that the possibility may arise. Re my wife's view on this, I think she will be supportive and remain so as long as I'm honest. That is, if I do find a men who pushes all the right buttons (and for me that is first and foremost an emotional connection as much as a sexual one), I will let my wife know for sure. I don't like to do things behind her back and I'm a bad liar to begin with :icon_wink. I also can relate to the observations for the spouse having a very different view on the marriage than oneself has (sorry for the bad grammar). My wife still finds it hard to believe I'm potentially gay (I come to that in a moment) and thinks it is a phase that will pass. She thinks our marriage is strong, but I don't think that. I also had plans to separate before the "coming out" issue came up. So, eventually and hopefully soon I can convince her to start accepting the option of a divorce and at that point (when reality kicks in) things may turn more ugly, I realize that.
    OK, on the question of my "questioning", the main reason I don't know how I tick (so to speak) is that I have never been in a relationship with a man. I have certainly fantasies about being with a man (well, the kind of men like my pretty avatar :icon_wink) and the guy I am totally in love with, but I'm not 100% sure if my view on that is too romantic (that is one side of me) and when it really would happen it might not be what I was looking for. I know, this is a probably a common anxiety for those of you who are stepping into this world for the first time as well, but I assume many of you are much younger (but as I learned from this wonderful community, not exclusively :icon_bigg).

I also have to admit I've been through this whole experience before. I broke up many years ago (when I was really young) with my girlfriend at the time because I had fallen in love with a beautiful young man (straight of course) and I lived on my own for 2 years. It was hell and I was very close to killing myself at the time. So, my fear of leaving my marriage and face the world alone with no partner is not just scary, it might be in some way risky. I know from the comments I read that several of you are going through these motions as well, and I feel your pain, even if some of you may have much harder choices to face so I'm probably still in a lucky position (with a good job etc.).

Thanks again for all your good advice. I find much comfort and strength in sharing these stories with you and reading about your experiences to know I am indeed not alone in this (*hug*).

9. Jim1454

Hi Merlin and welcome to EC. I'm glad you've found this place.

I think you likely would find some people who aren't going to want to get involved with someone in your situation. You're kind of sitting on the fence so to speak. You're keeping your wife around until such time that you've found a male companion, and you would be dating this male companion to see how it goes. Both of those other people might take issue with that.

If you're quite certain that you're gay, then you likely are. You have this history from years ago too - which is telling. In addition, you're not happy in your marriage for other reasons, so I get a sense that it's time to move on. THEN you'll be in a position to meet someone and be ready to commit to them. You won't be viewed as someone sitting on that fence.

My husband's ex wife initially wanted him to stay, and just 'experiment' on Friday nights or something. But that was clearly her 'bargaining' to keep him around so she wouldn't have to face a new reality as a divorced mother of 2. That wouldn't have worked, and he never took her up on that offer. They separated.

But everyone is different - and this is your story! So the path you take will be unique to you. Good luck! And again - welcome!

10. We are in very similar situations. My husband is supportive and has suggested that I experiment with women. I told him that I couldn't just go mess around with just anyone. That has never been my style.

I got on a free dating site for a while, but suspended the account. I realized that I am not ready to consider finding a girlfriend. I will be at some point, but not now. I messaged a few girls and was up front right away with my situation. All but one was understanding.

I don't think there is anything wrong with testing the waters, as long as you are completely open with your spouse. I agree that you need to make sure that yall are talking about the same things and make sure that you know what she is okay with. I would also make sure you are ready.

11. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Merlin,

Welcome to EC! I have a lot to say to you as our situations are similar. I'm 56, married for 23 years with two kids, 17 & 20. I have been coping with a great deal of turmoil and emotional agitation since I told my wife, one year ago, that I questioned my sexuality. She was not surprised by this as she had asked me many times if I thought I was gay over the years, because of a lack of sexual interest. She also knew me from more than 25 years ago when I went through a phase of identifying myself as gay. About 6-7 months ago, she confronted me about this "questioning sexuality" thing, and I admitted at I was gay.

So this brings me back to what you said...
    OK, on the question of my "questioning", the main reason I don't know how I tick (so to speak) is that I have never been in a relationship with a man. I have certainly fantasies about being with a man (well, the kind of men like my pretty avatar ) and the guy I am totally in love with, but I'm not 100% sure if my view on that is too romantic (that is one side of me) and when it really would happen it might not be what I was looking for. I know, this is a probably a common anxiety for those of you who are stepping into this world for the first time as well, but I assume many of you are much younger (but as I learned from this wonderful community, not exclusively ).

I, too have not had a sexual relationship with a man. I've fallen in love, mostly with straight unavailable men, which led to bouts of depression and suicidal thinking. So I guess one of the reasons I convinced myself that I was straight was because I had never actually had sex with a man, despite my fantasy life. And, for a time, I was able to perform sexually. But, over time, I began to feel more and more false, deceitful, confused, isolated, depressed, and suicidal. I could not stop thinking about men.

I have not experimented sexually with men now and don't want to, at least not yet. My wife has made it clear that the "marriage is over" but we don't have a plan to separate yet, really because of the kids but separation will happen. She's definitely not interested in an "open" marriage. What I want and need right now is a network of friends. I'm participating in a gay men's psychotherapy group and going to start going to some events at the LGBT center in New York City. I would never do a bar scene and I don't want to date right now.

Unfortunately, I feel like my life as I know it has disintegrated and its devastating. Pretty much all of my friends were "couple" friends and I didn't have any gay contacts when I came out. Also, my wife wants to tell her family and our friends about my new sexual identity which is really hard on me.

So, I don't have much good advice to give you right now. I know you're interested in exploring your sexuality; hey, you're an adult and can do what you want. However, I don't know from what you say if your wife as the expectation will that you will recover. Just be honest with her because it will be a mess otherwise, or even more of a mess. Good luck to you.

12. ormanout

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As someone who is about in the same stage of coming out, I will offer the advice that was given to me. Take your time! It may seem like coming out and emerging into a new identity and life as an older adult needs to happen quickly....it's likely better that you move slowly and methodically forward. The advice I was given is that I shouldn't date or get involved with someone for at least a year after separating. While that may be hard to do, I understand why the advice was given.

For those of us who've been married for a long time, we have seen ourselves only in a partnered format. Leaping from a heterosexual partnership to a homosexual partnership is difficult and frankly, they just aren't the same things at all. I just finished reading "The Velvet Rage" which is a wonderful book and full of helpful tips about stages of identity development in gay men. We can't help but to start out in Stage 1 development, which isn't a very healthy place to begin a partnership.

I would suggest you work with a therapist on why living alone is such a daunting thought. To be a good partner, I believe you first need to be completely stable and comfortable with yourself.....accepting and loving yourself.....and not be dependent upon anyone else to "complete you." If you can master that, you become an attractive partner to others. Small steps are actually fine, as long as they are moving you towards a more authentic and healthy personal identity. Remember, as gay people, we have a lot of internalized homophobia to overcome, as well as self-hatred. Decades of that sort of damage cannot be undone overnight.

13. merlin

merlin Guest

Thank you Jim, Hawaiianflower, Arturoenrico and Ormanout for your support and advice. It is nice to know there are people out there who can relate to these issues and give me perspective. I realize that trying to get into a relationship while sitting on the fence is not ideal or even fair to either my wife or the person who would be attracted to me. I'm not too "worried" this will happen any time soon as others (gay friends) also told me that without having more confidence and a better image of myself (love yourself), I cannot expect others to be interested in me :icon_sad:. Add to this my age and the fact that I'm officially diagnosed with Anorexia, and you get the picture (not a pretty one for sure). :eek: Getting a divorce, be on my own and wait a year before getting serious about a relationship to get things in order seems a good path to go, and I do have such intentions (well, waiting a year may be a bit long :icon_wink. I do have professional support and I hope that this will help me to overcome some of my anxiety in living on my own (as I mentioned, the last time I tried this, I kind of failed miserably). I also hope to overcome my anorexia and start building my body back to a more acceptable and healthy status so I will feel more confident to go out there and present myself as a stronger (physically and mentally) person (!). When (even if) I will manage to separate (the first important step) from my wife is still a question mark. She is as I mentioned supportive but I know she is also very stressed about it (her world is collapsing and I have to respect that) and wants me to stay as long as I'm not 100% clear about where I belong. I agree that based on my history and feelings, I'm pretty sure I'm gay or at least bi-sexual so I don't want to run from that anymore or hide myself away in utter frustration. Sorry for this rant of self-pity. I've read stories where people are in a much more difficult situation so I have no right to complain. Sometimes it just feels good to vent a bit ;-). Thanks again for all your helpful words (*hug*). They truly make me think about where I want to go and ultimately, how to achieve happiness for me and those I love (now and in the future). There may not be a prince charming for me, but one day I hope there is someone who feels as strong about me as I do about him. That seems not too much to ask for, is it?:icon_bigg

14. PeteNJ

Welcome. Quite of few of us :astonished:ut late but great" men and women on EC. I'm one of them, who has found this community a lifeline.

For me, getting professional support and sharing my struggle with a handful of best friends was absolutely key to getting through this relatively sanely, well, at least not crazier ;-).

To me, the idea of living in 2 worlds -- staying with the woman I was with as well as exploring and learning about me as a gay man, well that was just way more complication that I could handle.

Let me say that in my experience, jumping off the cliff sooner rather than later was the right thing to do. And in the months since, I've never heard one story where waiting was better than getting on with the journey.

All the best, we're all in this together.

And if you read my posts -- you'll see -- this has, without question, despite the pain, been the very best year of my life! (and you can make this next year great for you, too!)

15. Jeff

There are other men out there who also wish to explore their sexuality with another man but do not want a LTR (relationship), or what is often called no strings attached. But this can backfire on anyone, when they agree to no strings, and then find that they have fallen head over heals in love with a guy who is only interested in sex, and no real relationship with you.

You would need to accept that they might have someone else on the side (just like you), and that might seem complicated. If you are still married how can you expect to find someone who is unattached, and that takes you seriously?

My advice is to consider "exploring your sexuality" and "a relationship" two separate things. That is because most guys you are going to meet will consider them separate issues. Then again, you could get really lucky.

16. tomthumb2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I actually envy you in that your wife is supportive of this. I am pretty sure my wife would cut my balls off. I have had numerous flings and always feel super guilty and I know that coming out is in my future, I just don't know when. All I know i that its the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing I think of when I go to bed so this can't go on like this much longer. All I know for sure is that it will be ww3 when it happens...

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have heard both sides of the coin - at the level where the rubber hits the road, and I'm obviously excluding the retired couple who sings in the church choir and may not even minimally relate - that married gay guys are viewed negatively, by some, and that married gay guys are viewed indifferently, by most. The latter group views it as a testing of the waters and/or assimilating.

As for the linearity of lining up a relationship prior to the divorce as a safety net, I think that some people are able to do that and others are not. It's entirely person specific. If you are doing it solely for the idea of a safety net, then it may not work out. To me, it sounds like that phase in life when late teens or young adults marry to get out of the house. Every time I've heard of that reason, the marriage failed. It should be about the quality of the rapport, if that's what you want, and not just a way to move from an established household seamlessly into another. At any rate, it sounds that you are fortunate to have a wife who appears to be understanding and asking you to be true to yourself.

You've come to the right place to discuss all these questions. People on here all have different situations, with some underlying similarities, and are all over the spectrum with how they relate to the people in their lives, their sexualities and their identities.

18. merlin

merlin Guest

Thank you PeteNJ for your comments. I am unfortunately a bit of a procrastinator and someone who likes to take the road of the least resistance ;-) But, I think you are right. Better to be clear sooner than later and at this point I am trying to get my wife slowly to accept the notion that I may have to leave her (but also hopefully convince her we can stay friends and I'll be there for her and my children).

I will definitely read up on your posts and I'm very happy for you that you had a great year (despite no doubt all the pain and troubles you had to go through)! That gives me hope for my future :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 13th Jun 2013 at 06:12 PM ----------

Thank you, Jeff. I agree that indeed exploring my sexuality does not mean it has to lead to a relationship, but to be honest, the thought of just sex without an emotional connection is not appealing to me. I might rather go the other way around, that is, for a strong emotional connection and see if that can lead to something more physical over time. For that, I need to become stronger, more independent and not tied into another relationship, I realize that as few men indeed (or women for that matter) would be interested in sharing that bond with another person.

It will be a long and difficult road as many of you have already indicated and experienced. Sigh.

---------- Post added 13th Jun 2013 at 06:19 PM ----------

Hi Tomthumb2,
    Thanks for your reaction and I'm sorry to hear your wife would turn the knives (literally and figuratively, I guess) on you. I won't say that my wife is comfortable with the situation but she tries to understand and she is (as I mentioned) still convinced I'm not gay. If I at some point would (have to) leave her, I'm not sure if my balls would be more secure than yours (she was once trained in self-defence, which often includes a ball-crushing kick ;-). I hope the situation will change such that you would feel more comfortable coming out to your wife and not finding relief in fleeting relationships (which does not seem to be something you really enjoy either given your guilt feelings).

Good luck and hang in there!

---------- Post added 13th Jun 2013 at 06:31 PM ----------

Thank you Tightrope for your reply. It is clear to me from the responses I'm getting that people have somewhat different views on this. I certainly do not envision to go out there and try to hook up with anyone just to get me out of my marriage (see my previous posts on this) because the emotional connection is really important to me and I want to play this fair and square for my wife. But, you're right of course, having a wife who at this point supports me, makes it a bit easier for me to at least explore a bit my feelings for other guys. As I mentioned in my first post, I have very strong feelings for one particular person at the moment, but he is straight but does not mind it that I flirt with him (to some extent, no real physical contact!). It is little but it gives me room to explore this side of me that I have never dared to expose to anyone. Saying "I love you" to another guy was the strangest thing that ever came out of my mouth when I said it the first time :icon_redf Being with him learned me to become more comfortable about my feelings and how to express them and for that I'm very grateful to him. Good friends are hard to find and even if it won't lead to more (as I hope(d)), it is valuable for building my confidence. Perhaps odd, but whatever works, right?

19. merlin

merlin Guest

Just a quick update for those who are interested in my story. My wife has now accepted the inevitable it seems and changed from being supportive to being resentful and angry accusing me for destroying her and the kids. I recognize this from the stories I've been reading here, so I will brace myself for more to come and having to find a place of my own soon. I wish she would understand I never meant to harm her (or the children, who I need to tell soon), but that at some point living a lie becomes impossible (for me). But, I guess when emotions run high and your basis falls away, those arguments hold no water anymore. If you have any advice on how to proceed next, please let me know. I feel torn between guilt, fear, anxiety and also some anticipation of a new and very uncertain life that seems ahead of me.

20. Jeff

Merlin, I think you are seeing the stages of what your wife is going through. The anger might not be what you see in another day or two. I sense it will have ups and downs. But still you are going through a rough ride.

I am not even in a ending relationship, nor coming out, or getting ready to move. But I feel anxiety and uncertainty about the future anyway.

At least you are moving forward, and you know what you have and had to do.

My advice is to think about the future and where and what you need to do. Maybe making plans can be a distraction from the stress - if that makes any sense.

It's forward and onward now!