1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the gay rollercoaster

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by hawaiianflower, Jun 14, 2013.

1. This morning I woke up and didn't feel very gay. It felt like I could live in my closet for a very long time.

Around 4 or so I started to feel a bit more lesbian. (There was this very nice looking woman)

By 10 I was feeling a little freaked out. Like...Oh my gosh I am gay?!? What in the world is this?

It's almost 12:30 and I feel like there is a hole in my chest waiting to be filled by a beautiful woman who loves me.

Is the rollercoaster of feelings normal? I would guess so, but it really makes for some interesting days.

2. Fellow

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd say I've feeling the same, there are periods I think to myself "Me gay? No wayy...", and periods I just want to shout out "YEAHH I AM GAY!!". In my opinion I think my head is still getting used to my new self and sometimes just needs a rest, aside from that yeahh gay for sure ^^

3. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My feelings are more consistant. As soo as I came out, I knew that is was true. It was so true that I found it sort of stupidly obvious, kind of like saying, "I have blue eyes."

And since then, while it has made me very happy to come to this understanding of myself, it's just become one more fact about me. I don't feel the need to question it or talk about it for hours on end with friends. It's become as simple as saying, "I'm five foot six." A simply statement of fact. I've never looked back.

Having said that, however, I'm going through a tumultuous time with my husband right now, as you might expect (I've only come out about a month ago), and there are brief moments when I think, "Oh, I could stay here with him...." but those never last more than a few seconds, and are born out of guilt, not any real desire to do so. When I think about it for even a brief moment, I know that I can't. Even if I some how wanted to or had strong motivation to, I know that the price I'd pay would be too high.

But I did love your description of the roller coaster of emotions. :slight_smile:

--Zoe

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Internalized homophobia versus desire.

An ongoing wrestling match for many.

You will see people here move from bi-curious to bisexual to gay here as the match progresses.

Not true for all but some.

It is a losing battle for homophobia for it erodes as self acceptance grows.

5. Exactly! I am glad to know someone else is having to adjust to it all.

I never doubt being a lesbian. I am like you in that it is so obvious, I can't deny it. I sometimes feel like it would be easier to stay with my husband. In ways, it would be, but not good for me at all. It is a desire to feel safe.

I started thinking of myself as bisexual because my first step was realizing I like women. About a month later I realized I was a lesbian and figured I better join EC. I know I dealt with some internalized homophobia because of the way I was raised, but I read a few theology books and am feeling better about it.

I do need to look inside myself and make sure there isn't any homophobia remaining. Thanks!

6. Biotech49

I came out as bi first then realized that that simply wasn't the case within a few days. I never did have hetero desire, I just had emotional attachments.

I dealt with internalized homophobia due to religious reasons. Was it religion that quelled my desire for men? Nah! LOL

7. It took me a little longer to go from bi to lesbian. I think it is because I am married to a great guy. I really didn't want to have to admit to him and myself that I had been wrong about my sexual attractions all these years. Once I realized what it was like to be sexually attracted to a woman, it wasn't difficult to realize that I have never really been turned on by a man.

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It certainly is. I'm not running anymore, and these urges feel natural to me, even if others aren't so accepting. I'd be lying if I said my attractions towards women suddenly disappeared over the past two years, or I realized they never existed - that might make things slightly simpler. I just feel a lot more balanced and fulfilled now, accepting myself.

There really wasn't a denial phase for me. As soon as I was certain these were genuine attractions, I accepted them and prepared for whatever would come next. Before that, it was a matter of 'if'.

9. I don't feel like it is a denial phase, but more of a feeling of being scared of the future. I think my fear of the hell that will be raised when I come out of the closet can make me want to feel like I never have to come out of the closet. My family will eventually be supportive, but first they will not believe me. They will question me and try to make sure I am a lesbian. They will tell me I am wrong and question why I have always been with men. It will be a very tough time for me. I joke about disappearing for a month while they come to terms with it, but it just isn't possible.

10. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That feeling could be because you're longing for a meaningful relationship with someone you want both sexually and romantically. Being in a relationship with someone a person desires tends to motivate them to be honest about their sexuality. They may feel that even if they are disowned by their family or friends, at least they'll have their lover to turn to. But this is only true for some people.

It's especially not easy for those of us who live in the Bible Belt.

11. Fellow

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah same thing here, I know I've never like felt attracted to girls, but until now I woulf force myself and try to look that way all my mates did. Finally grew out of it and the small attraction I might have felt was gone is 2 weeks or so xD

12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Ms. Flower!

I'm trying to figure out what's really going on here, and it's hard based on what you write. My first thought was "are you sure you're lesbian and not bisexual?" But then you say you considered that an eventually ruled it out.

So...when you say "I woke up this morning and didn't feel very gay"...do you mean you felt some attraction toward men? More toward men than toward women? Or that you just weren't very aroused at that moment (but that if you were to be aroused, it would definitely be by a woman)?

'Cause let's get two things "straight" (so to speak) here:
    (1) Not feeling arousal is very different from not being gay; and
    (2) Bisexuals do not always feel constant levels of attraction toward both sexes.

If when you look inside yourself, you just really don't have any sexual attraction toward men...ever...then you're lesbian, regardless of how much the thought of having sex with a woman appeals or doesn't appeal to you at a given moment (unless it *never* does, in which case you could be asexual).

If you find that some mornings you can get kinda excited about sex with your husband, say...but that by afternoon you have no interest, and find the notion of that cute chick at the grocery store appealing...but then by evening, that has waned. Or if these changes are more day-to-day or week-to-week...even year to year...those are all bisexual patterns.

Just curious about what your actual experience is...can you clarify?

13. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [/QUOTE] I don't feel like it is a denial phase, but more of a feeling of being scared of the future. I think my fear of the hell that will be raised when I come out of the closet can make me want to feel like I never have to come out of the closet. My family will eventually be supportive, but first they will not believe me. They will question me and try to make sure I am a lesbian. They will tell me I am wrong and question why I have always been with men. It will be a very tough time for me. I joke about disappearing for a month while they come to terms with it, but it just isn't possible.[/QUOTE]

I had this exact same fear, although it was specifically about my father. My father and I have always had a somewhat tumultuous relationship. He was a way of pushing my buttons. When he gives advice or asks questions, I know in my heart he's just being a dad and looking out for me, but it's sometimes hard to remember that because his questions makes me feel like I'm stupid or very young.

For example, I told him recently I wanted to buy a new house (something I've done 1 1/2 times before). Here's what I got (imagine these in a stern father-knows-best voice):

--Are you sure?
    --You know, moving's expensive.
    --You know, you have to have a job to get a mortgage.
    --You'll have to give your real estate agent 6%.

And in the past 15 years or so, he's become conservatively Christian. He gives my brother all sorts of grief over his life style (which, honestly, maybe he should).

So when I came out to him, I completely expected what you described--disbelief and questioning. I could just hear it in my head:

--Are you sure?
    --How do you know?
    --Well, have you ever been with a woman before? Well then, how can you be sure?
    --You know, this means the end of your marriage.
    --Have you prayed about it?
    --You know, this will make your life more difficult, so you better'd be sure.

The strategy I used was just to be super confident and announce it like it was important, but still fairly casual, as though I was announcing that I found 1,000 hidden the sofa cushions.

Turned out, I didn't get any of the questions. I think he was so shocked, and this is so far out of his area of expertise (unlike selling a house), that he couldn't come up with any questions or didn't want to ask in case they were inappropriate.

So while I can't help you out with advice, I wanted you to know I felt the exact same fear. I had the idea that I would call them (they live several states away in a place that's difficult to get to, if you can believe such places still exist, so a face-to-face was not practical), tell my dad and then hang up to give him a chance to think about it. I wouldn't do it, of course, but it sure was nice to think about.

--Z

14. my responses didn't post correctly. :/ edit is to add them back in.

I really do long for it. I want it bad and I am afraid.

It helps living close to some bigger cities that have gay bars. I have yet to go to one, but it is nice knowing they are there.

I think it is fear. My nemesis. I am afraid of coming out, being alone, finding out that women don't like me, and how this will effect my son. I am a big planner. I was an 8 year old with a 15 year plan. I can't plan this. I am not sure when I will come out and I can't anticipate anything.

I know I am a lesbian. I feel no sexual attraction for my husband. I like to cuddle with him and get hugs, but I think it is because I need some type of connection and having a connection with a woman feels so far away.

It is always nice to know that other people understand. I really hope that is how my family reacts. Just jaw to the floor and never ask any questions. I doubt it though. I am the baby of the family and they all treat me as such. I can't go grocery shopping with my Mom without her trying to tell me what to buy. It is annoying, but she needs me to go with her.

I think I may go with emails. That way I can get what I need to say out without a ton of interruptions.

#14 hawaiianflower, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
  15. biggayguy

My feelings were the same as any life-changing event.

Denial - A years long period of denial
    Anger - What had God done to me?
    Sadness - over what my friends and family would think about me.
    Acceptance - I finally accepted who I am and that I like both genders.

Just wish it hadn't taken so long to go through those stages

P.S. My levels of attraction for men and women are fluid. Some days passing for straight feels fine. Other days I'm all revved up to hit the gay club.

#15 biggayguy, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  16. biguy that is a good way of saying it.

Sometime I feel like passing for straight isn't a big deal and then other times I feel like there is a sucking hole in my chest that will only be filled when I find the person who's soul can touch mine.

I am so glad I found EC. It is good to know people get it.

17. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know the feeling. I was so busy for a week and a half that I didn't really have time to think about being gay. I didn't really feel incredibly gay either

Then for this past week I've been crushing on a guy who was subbing here at work. He was not my usual type but there is this smile and twinkle in his eye that is irresistible. Also just an all around great guy. (I've worked with him previously.) Don't think he is gay, but it reminded me that I can find someone just as great as him once I am out.

I also had several pre-teen girls decide they needed to paint my nails while I was hanging out with them this last week. Each girl painted a different nail so they ended up rainbow colored. I kept the nail polish on for a few days and now I kind of miss it. It felt good to wear it and not care what people thought. :icon_bigg

18. That is cool. I have busy days that pass, like today, when being gay isn't on my mind as much.

I bet the nail polish looked cool.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you waiting to happen so you can come out?

I am waiting because I want my son to be a little older and I want to be a bit closer to finishing my degree.

19. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work for a religious org where some employees (including my bosses) are open minded while other coworkers are extremely conservative on social issues. The religion is extremely socially conservative so if it got above my bosses heads that I was gay, they very well could be forced by the powers that be to fire me. If they didn't fire me, they would probably lose their jobs. Only here through the beginning of August so it would be easier to come out then.

20. Oh man. That stinks that you have to worry about your job like that. You have a much better reason for not coming out than I do.

I really hope that this month brings some good rulings from the Supreme Court for us. We really need some anti-discrimination laws. Christians used to feel like the Bible supported the mistreatment of Black people. I don't know why people think it is so different this time.