1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you celebrate?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by sagebrush, Jun 20, 2013.

1. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you celebrate or commemorate your coming out anniversary? If so, do you do anything special?

Today is the 2nd anniversary of my exiting the closet and locking the door behind me once and for all. While I arrived at the party very late, I am happy to finally be here... (&&&)

Now, where's the cake?

2. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rĂªves de New York et des blazers...
    I don't even remember the date :frowning2: I feel like it should be more of a milestone than I've made it, but then I haven't fully come out/slipped back in a bit, so I guess it hasn't quite got there yet.

3. Zach

I first came out to several close friends on a new years eve, so I end up celebrating every year.
    I also plan to celebrate on July 16th ..... it will be the one year anniversary of my divorce from my wife. (I might have to keep this tradition alive as well) :grin:

4. PeteNJ

Happy 2 years out! Awesome and cool.

I know friends who have had pretty big coming out parties early on. But not "anniversary" parties. I'll have to ask around.

But hey -- no reason you can't!

5. Happy Gayversary!

That is what I am calling today. It was a month ago that I realized I am a lesbian. (I identified as bi for a few weeks before that) Also, my brother came out to me the same day. I think I'll at least text my brother about it every year.

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations, mine don't come around until February :slight_smile:

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't celebrate a specific date, simply because it was a longish process. From the time I started contemplating it until the time I came out to the last big people in my life was about three years. :slight_smile:

That said, I'd like to think I celebrate it every day of my life.

Lex

8. PeteNJ

Need to add -- its Pride Month -- go to a Pride event and make it your own!

(Lex, that's awesome -- we talked about that at our Coming Out group last night, that life is so totally different being out -- its, just happy! Not that it's perfect, without challenges and sadness, but it is so totally different!)

9. You are onto something Lex.

First coming out is not something I think about all that often, but in reality it is a huge part of everything I do every day. It's in my relationship with my partner, my friendships and relations with damn near everyone I know. It's in my thoughts about the world, about myself, about other people. It's in how much I have grown and how the closet agony has melted away.

So yeah, I celebrate. By having a better life now, even though it came to be through some hardship.