1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reverse closets

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Tightrope, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is more of an observation about a phenomenon. This has happened and probably will continue to happen.

Some men and women will do a lot of roaming around, either with the same sex or both, and then find an opposite sex partner or spouse. Generally, they fly under the radar during this part of their lives and then either cease to act non-monogamously, because of age or lower sex drive, or continue to act on their impulses on the side. They are secretive. It sounds stressful and also unfair to the new significant other, unless they are on board with this.

I once knew a guy who made a comment about this. He was an only child and born later in his dad's life. He said: "I think my dad did a lot of guys in his day and then around 40 married my mom and sort of settled down." He didn't comment on his father's possible behavior after marrying or what his mother might have thought about this. Also, this is done for career advancement in some sectors and for people who want to better fit in to their places of worship. It's usually more obvious than these people think. Whatever.

Thought I'd share this. Has anyone seen this or similar situations?

2. biggayguy

I think most of these people are bisexual. Yet when they get married they take their wedding vows seriously. They strive to live a monogamous life. You should definitely be up front with someone you love if you are attracted to the same sex.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, that could be the case and they may strive for monogamy. However, as to whether they are honest with a significant other about it or not ... well, your mileage may vary.

They are usually not open about this with everyone, especially when it's done for social climbing reasons.

4. biggayguy

My bisexual ex-fiancé said she was okay with it. When I playfully looked at a man she got very jealous. She looked at women all the time but it was different when the shoe was on the other foot.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Society seems to have very different ideas about bisexuality within the genders. I think this, for some reason, also extends to opposite sex couples in which one or both are bisexual. So I believe you.

This also ties into another thread I started, about transparent types. Some of the somewhat apparent closeted and married way later guys I've known or worked with have been among the most condescending and even self-righteous toward me.