1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for long term "out" & about

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Jun 25, 2013.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I got a question for the sages...

Just got back from voting in MA. First time voting at this local and I had to wander around the school looking for the correct door. I met another guy similarly looking for the correct door. We chatted as we walked around the building. Really nice guy.

Every one of my gay alarms was going off. I wanted to ask the guy; a) want to catch a beer, b) are you gay? . I did neither.

We simply wished each other a good day as we left the polling station.

I am use to long associations before "gay" comes up. How do you manage a "drive by" gay?

I don't want to miss opportunities. This is a numbers game.

I am new in town and know nobody.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're reluctant to go straight to the point - and that's not uncommon in your position - you can always act like he's simply somebody new you connect with. "Hey, I'm going to have to run, but I'd love to continue this conversation some other time. Could I get your e-mail address/phone number/facebook?" Or if you'd rather, you can offer to give him yours. However, this means he might simply not initiate contact.

Lex

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think question a would have been more appropriate than question b, just barely knowing the person. The opportunity for question b could have arisen over the beer, and maybe not. The important thing is forging the friendship first.

4. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    haha..."drive by" gay. That is awesome.

I agree with the guys above. Asking him for his number or out to a drink would be the best way to handle it. Then you can find out more about his sexuality later.

5. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    My question, what sort of work does he do; and ask if he has a business card, and if you have a business card, or you could act like some born salesman and offer a business card to anyone.

Stuff you think about after the moment has passed I know. :bang:

6. biggayguy

You could of asked if he wanted to go discuss politics over a beer. You never think of something like that in the moment.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some serendipitous things can happen under these situations. I was once in a store and just happened to ask a guy shopping there where I could get something to eat at 10 pm in this big city I was visiting for interviews. He told me of a popular nearby dive that was always crowded. He was fairly new to the city and offered to go with me to get something to eat. I sensed there was no ulterior motive. So we drove over there in our own cars, parked, went in, and ate. It meant nothing. He was just a friendly person. He gave me his card in case I got a job and moved to town. That situation brings a smile to my face - knowing that there are no nonsense, friendly people out there.