1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Past relationships that just didn't make sense

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Tightrope, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll put this here, because "later in life" may mean more experience with relationships coming and going.

Have you ever had a dating (and sexual) relationship where the person just didn't get you, yet was upset when you finally called it quits? These relationships are generally not that long-term, lasting maybe 6 months, 9 months, or a year. The thing is that the person criticizes you, either for using vocabulary that doesn't work for them, liking certain music, having certain hobbies, and other minor differences, and then felt like it was a real relationship when they were never plugged into you mentally. I'm wondering if they just wanted to BE in a relationship more so than relate the person they were currently seeing.

Any similar experiences?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes, of course! My whole marriage fit that particular mold...

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, GW. But was there petty criticism of minor things which describe your personality and personal style, and which made you unique, from early on? If so, that must have been tough.

If someone doesn't like the words I use or the way I process things, I find that I prefer not to be around people who can't relate to me.