1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family Gayness

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Biotech49, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Biotech49

Talked to my niece last night. She came out to me as a lesbian. Mama doesn't like it but she knew she could talk to me. I am so proud of her. That makes my son, another niece, and now her on my moms side. Also, I have a cousin on my moms side who is gay. Hmmm...

My niece can't be out and proud yet but the rest of us are and I think it will help her in her journey to know that she has the support of most of her family behind her.

I think it is true that if somebody you know is LGBT, it makes acceptance a lot easier. It's one of the reasons we come out in the first place, right? Love trumps hatred.

(&&&) :eusa_clap (!)

2. Munyal

I believe that family is willing to be more honest with each other around LGBT family. I have a second cousin, and she like guys about 90% of the time, but she has a female friend she really likes.

3. AAASAS

Yea, I kind of believe it.

The majority of my family beyond two generations ago is extremely religious, so they would've never admitted it, but me, my aunt, and my mom's second cousin are all gay. My aunt is from my dad's side, so there are gay people out on both sides of my family.

4. Jeff

My family is all straight on both sides so far as I know. This has been a problem for me. I was alone as far as family goes, and still am.

5. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Biotech- That's awesome! Cool she has you for a role model!
    (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

6. Rainbow Music

Yaay. Good for her. Way to go Girlie. I believe that if we have the support of other LGBT folks, that yes it does make things a lot easier. It's because of my ex-boyfriend, that it was so easy for me to come out. He stood there by my side through thick and thin. I also believe that if you have that Straight support group it make that bond even bigger. Since they don't have to experience what we as the Rainbow community go through.

7. Emberblaze

Man, that's gotta be nice. I wish I at least had a FRIEND who was gay or lesbian. In the coming to terms with my ssexuality from like 5th grade to 10th grade, those 5ish years were kinda lonley and awkward because I knew NO LGBT people what so ever.

Didn't think they existed at all. The first time I ever hung out with anyone thats gay was at this field trip I had last year. I spent the most of the trip trying to decipher if these two girls were gay, and finally, at a COMPLETELY random moment, they asked me if IIII was gay! Heh it was so funny and I was so shocked that I could't even ask if they were but they made it apparent that it was so.

I STILL don't know how they knew. Even if I DO give off gay vibes, I COULDN'T have showed it THAT much!

Heh but anyways, I digress naturally. It's good to have support, yeah ^^

8. Biotech49

In a conversation with friends this evening we talked about gay relatives. One friend had a few gay/lesbian relatives and she thinks her grandma was probably a lesbian who, because of the times, never truly lived her true potential. Kind of interesting. Half of my family is pretty liberal. It maybe one reason that we are okay with coming out (even though I lived a hetero lifestyle until I was 49).

9. Jim1454

I'm glad you're out and a role model for your neice.

I came out in my mid 30s, and in therapy was talking about my grandfather on my mom's side. I was saying how he and I got along well and shared a lot of interests - nice cars, being well dressed, etc. and my therapist asked "Do you think your grandfather might have been gay?" And it hit me - he very likely was. I haven't every shared that with my mom, because Grandpa passed away a number of years ago and didn't know if I should bring it up with my mom.

And to your other point - yes, I think it's important that we DO come out, as an example to others that gay people are just like everyone else. We work, we pay our taxes, we keep our houses in the suburbs tidy, etc. and there's nothing wrong with it. We are able to lead happy lives, and they will be able to as well.

10. biggayguy

There's always been rumors about this woman who's a friend of the family that she's crazy and gay. Every time I spoke with her as an adult she was quite lucid and well read. BTW she lives with another woman. I think her daughter was best friends with my mom. Then there's my cousin who never dates women and is always hanging out with guys. He has a nice car and a good job. He is also nice looking. His parents have been pressing him to get married or at least date.