1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is FtM a rejection of feminism?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by maverick, Sep 7, 2011.

1. maverick

Okay, let me preface this by saying I've been reading a lot of harsh words lately from self-identified butch lesbians about genderqueer, FtM, and transfolk. The gist of the conversations seem to run along these lines (this was a rant about Chaz Bono transitioning from Dykes For Dykes):

Okay, truth time. How many people (especially lesbians) feel this way about the transgender/postgender/genderqueer movement? Do you think that it is damaging to the identity and history that lesbians have already set up for themselves over the past several hundred years?

Is transgenderism just an extension of patriachy?

Am I doing a disservice to butch lesbians by not fully identifying as one? Am I *gasp* THE OPPRESSOR?

Am I the sexist one for identifying more with men than women, and identifying more with masculinity than femininity, or is there inherent sexist bias against straight cisgendered males in the lesbian community? Is it really a "man hating" thing, as cliche as that sounds?

For me personally, this drawing of a line in the sand between the biological sexes as a response to oppressive patriarchy is deeply unsettling, mostly because I feel intersexed, both mentally and physically. And let me just go on the record - for me, being transgendered has NOTHING to do with male privilege. I will never gain male privilege by transitioning. If anything, I shy away from physical transition because I'm afraid it will bring more prejudice against me, not less.

And it seems from these sentiments that such a choice would invite open discrimination, even within the queer community.

But I don't think this woman's rants are based solely in transphobia - I think there is definitely something to what she says (though I do think there is some androphobic sentiment and transphobia present in her words as well).

Are too many people transitioning? Has it become "faddish" rather than a life-saving procedure for the gender dysphoric? I somehow doubt so, considering the amount of bullshit one has to undergo in order to obtain treatment.

So what do y'all say? :grin:

#1 maverick, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, it's the feminists who call transmen sexist and myognists and treat transwomen like dirt that piss me off, and almost make me hate all feminists.

3. maverick

I wanted to see what this argument looks like in reverse.

#3 maverick, Sep 7, 2011
  4. Hot Pink

This doesn't apply to only FTM's. MTF's are often discriminated against these like-minded lesbian feminists. They say how we aren't true "womyn" and we don't understand what it really means to be a woman. That we'll never face the same oppression as them. They go under the assumption that transitioning allows us to retain our "male privilege." Just pointing out that I know how you feel.

I don't think you're betraying anyone. They think you are? So? Is that really going to stop you from doing what you have to do to not betray yourself? Just something you should think about.

5. Zontar

Is being (either transgender identity) an active rebellion against (insert social issue here)?

The answer is obviously no.

This has been brought up time and time again, especially how MtF's exemplify and reinforce feminine gender roles that feminists try to do away with. But the simplest explanation is, that's just how gender is.

Living how you want isn't an active rebellion against anything. Being transgendered isn't a choice.

#5 Zontar, Sep 7, 2011
  6. maverick

Is it just me, or does this "womyn" stuff sound really, really outdated? "I am WOMYN, HEAR ME RAWR!" stuff.

Like, I can understand women who lived through the feminist movement using terms like this because they were common during the uprising of females in their fight for equality, but I can't relate to them at all. And I especially don't relate to radical feminism, because while I believe in equal rights for men and women and I believe that they have equally significant things to contribute to humanity as a whole, I don't think women are superior to men.

Apparently, there are some radical feminists that not only believe we should overthrow the patriarchy, we should rise up and put in a matriarchy in its place. So where does a transgendered person fit into THAT society, where masculine-identified people are excluded from cultural circles entirely?

Here's another comment I came across from Gender Trender, applying specifically to MtFs AND FtMs this time:

This just seems like transphobia, straight-up. Or an inability to believe in anything BUT the gender binary. Seems awfully hypocritical coming from people who are suggesting that folks should live a mono-gendered/gender-centric life, but only if it's their chosen gender.

However, if you want to live as the OTHER gender, you're a traitor, and if you want to live in the no man's land between genders, you're pandering to the patriarchy by "acting like a man" to roll over for male privilege or "acting like a woman" to predate on women.

#6 maverick, Sep 7, 2011
  7. Veronica

To me it sounds like a desperate attempt to justify and retain an "us and them" view of genders. The whole idea collapses when considering the transgendered, bigendered and intersex people. So instead of facing reality, they try to convince themselves transgendered people are just out to "play" the other side.

This is much the same view of reality, or rather "lets interpret reality in favour of our own personal conviction"-approach, that I often see in fundamentalist religious people, the alternative medicine community and amongst the anti-science/pseudoscience folk.

Feminism needs to stop the trench-warfare. It is not one side against another as two opposing enemies. Proper feminism is a fight against discrimination. Men and women are equal, and that goes both ways. When you hold that position, transgender people doesn't fall between two sides in a war, but find themselves on equal ground with everyone else against the haters who cannot see past their own bigotry.

I really get worked up when people are discriminated against. When women are treated unfairly I react not because I have a good dose of female identity, but as a human being and a humanist.

... and yeah, women usually are the party discriminated against when genders are put up against each other, and for that I am a feminist and still think feminism has a purpose in society. But a lot of men also are that kind of feminists. It makes me doubly sad when women oppress themselves though. Fundamentalist religious women who adopt the inferiority teaching of their faith and even actively promote this and oppose it on their daughters and teach it to their sons.

I cannot believe that FtMs are after a privileged position, or that MtFs infiltrate womanhood to enforce stereotypes. That is absurd and conspiratorial on the level of 9/11 conspiracy and fake moonlandings.

---------- Post added 8th Sep 2011 at 12:15 AM ----------

Oh, and maverick, you really are good at starting interesting threads :slight_smile:

8. This^

9. Veronica

That should be "impose" obviously :slight_smile:

10. GuardianKitten

Honestly, this is just more cissexist bullshit spewed from the mouths of people who can't think outside the gender-defined-by-sex binary.

I have to admit, I'm paticularly disgusted by 'feminists' being offended and hating transwomen. YOU ARE ALL WOMEN, she is supposed to have the same rights you do, and the same rights any human does, but a group that should be an ally is working against you because you don't fit into their little boxes.

TBH, I ignore feminism. I'm all for gender equality (BOTH ways, which means men can get paternety leave and take days off to take care of their kids too -_- fucking 'equal' being more equal to mothers and not fathers), but feminists are *usually* sexist against men, which is completely hypocritcal.

11. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some homophobic feminists claim that lesbianism is assimilation, too. They're just using part of their worldview to justify their prejudice, like everyone else. Feminism really doesn't have anything to say about sexuality, other than the obvious implication of equality between sexual orientations and cisgenders as well as genders.

12. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I have to agree with Veronica. Also, I don't understand some of these arguments that are being made. I know some male feminists who are very adamant about it. So, I guess that's kind of what is confusing me here. Are males not really considered feminists by the really hardcore ones or?

13. maverick

Seems to me that men are considered inferior by radical feminists and can't be considered feminists because they aren't women. Or that's at least as much of the argument as I've been able to wrap my head around so far.

14. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Feminism is supposed to be about gender equality, but some bigots have seen fit to march their putrid sexism under that banner of intellectual integrity and democracy.

15. faustian1

The idea that a woman would have surgery to obtain "male privilege" is, I think absurd.

In fact, people moaning about "patriarchy" and looking at me to blame because of my chromosomes also is absurd considering that, like a lot of people on this board, I spent a lot of my time in middle school getting beaten up and feeling like committing suicide. Acting like I'm Mel Gibson, because of my chromosomes, is frankly insulting.

I'm over 50 years old, and I can tell you that people who politicize sexuality make no sense to me--I've grown to find them very tiresome.

16. Raeil

From my perspective, this line of logic is rather silly. The whole point of the feminist movement (or at least, what should have been the whole point) was to correct the imbalance that existed between men and women. It was (or should have been) about equality based on humanity, rather than privileges based on gender. To accuse female-bodied men of patriarchy for switching physical gender is to say that the feminist movement was about moving women above men, rather than equalizing the playing field.

17. maverick

I completely agree with this. Especially on the Dykes For Dykes blog, I became more and more sure that I do not agree with what this woman says, either about butches or about feminists. She is apparently pretty fucking old school.

This whole post kind of blew me away:
    DykesforDykes: From Dirt's blog on Transmen being Lesbophobic

Here are the highlights:

^ Because being transsexual/transgendered is a way to NOT get harassed as a queer? :rolle:

I don't understand why - in showing traditional masculinity or conforming to traditional male societal roles - how I could possibly be conforming if I am doing things that would have come naturally to me anyway?

Apparently if you are a transman and actually act like a man in some or most regards, you're being a sexist bastard because you're just delusional and can't accept yourself as a member of the oppressed female class.

I hate to tell 'em, but even if I identified female, I would still not go around sulking about "the patriarchy"...the days of matriarchial society are long past, and the patriarchy is pretty full of influential women last time I checked.

#17 maverick, Sep 7, 2011
  18. daedalus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My two cents:

After I read "womon" and "womyn", I lost interest and had to start skimming the rest of it. Why even do that in the first place and make the effort to separate types of women? The only thing she's convinced me of is that she can't spell.

Hardcore feminists like that don't seem any better to me than religious fanatics. Same passions, same stupidity, different topic. I personally don't care at all for the feminist movement and don't consider men or women to be better or worse than the other. It never even crossed my mind that transgendered people could be singled out for such a thing. I bet this woman slaps every man that holds a door for her...

19. maverick

^ See now, in the South we're trained to hold the door for BOTH sexes. So I would be flummoxed if somebody took offense at such a thing.

It's called chivalry if you want, and common courtesy if you don't. :rolle:

I guess I never really considered them separate? It's really just two sides of the same coin - can't have yin without yang (no matter how much some people wish they could do without one biological sex or the other...)

---------- Post added 7th Sep 2011 at 07:30 PM ----------

I've been thinking about this all day, and I've about come to the conclusion that we're on the cusp of a real postgender society anyway, if you think about it. A MtF was on America's Next Top Model. Women can fight in combat. Many colleges are adopting coed residence.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like (outside of individual conflicts) the two genders have actually started to come to terms with each other, and even merge to accomodate the best qualities of each.

20. daedalus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Everybody holds the door for each other here too, it's just more so that I can see the woman from the article getting horribly offended that a man dared to hold a door. Basically it'd be damned if you do or don't with someone that extreme.

It's just a learned type of thing. Men are "this" and women are "that". There isn't much of a difference beyond the plumbing but most people go with stereotypes and with pride for one's own gender I guess comes prejudice with some people? Even the car insurances are like "well you're a guy and 18 so obviously you drive fast and yes we're going to charge you more". Never mind the fact I can name a few girls who used to drive like maniacs. I think I'm getting off topic now though...