1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It Could Happen to You

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Ethan, May 8, 2012.

1. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another really powerful video.
    [YOUTUBE]pR9gyloyOjM[/YOUTUBE]

2. Amazing... Thank you so much for sharing.

3. Lad123

This is awful! Thank you for sharing but it has made me incredibly sad... when the gravestone scene appeared i literally burst into tears.

What actually happened? Did he fall in an accident or was it suicide?

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw this on FB and was going to post it.

This is so sad

5. Vesper

Already saw it and shared.

I'll never be able to understand how any parent can treat his or her own child like Tom's parents treated him. He did nothing wrong except love a man...

@Lad123: Tom was taking photos on the roof of a building when he accidentally backed up too far and fell off.

6. Kupo!

Kupo! Guest

Excuse me while I go weep openly.

also, just another reason to hate my birthday!

7. MusicMan12

I think he just fell, and the point of the video was more about the fact the he had no legal connection to his boyfriend. But I'm not entirely sure.

Regardless, this may be the one of the saddest/most powerful videos I've ever seen

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This story broke my heart. What's more, while I'm glad it wasn't suicide, the fact he died because of an accident breaks my heart even more...I mean to lose someone that way...I don't know...it almost...I just don't know what to say here. I wish it hadn't had to happen like that for Shane, they seemed SO happy together. And now for Tom's parents to give him that treatment, to plan an attack?! I'm just in anger over that....this whole story made me cry..

9. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Poor guy :frowning2: It's really not fair.

10. RebelD

Ignorance... People hate and fear what they don't understand. Just sad that only a few really make an effort to understand.

11. secretguyX

This video made me cry... and I never cry. People really need to stop being so damn ignorant. This was just completely horrible.

12. sanguine

FFS this story made me cry

then it made me ANGRY

this is what we are fighting for people, a chance to to just be.

Its not fair, i dont give a dam what you guys think but i hope Tom's family dies a fkn horrible death, slow and painful. I hope they burn in hell, they're fkn scum

13. anonymous1

The link isn't working, could someone tell me what it's called?

14. sanguine

it could happen to you

15. sguyc

Don't know why people put themselves in such dangerous situations. What could you be doing on a roof to cause you to fall off..
    His family's rejection is saddening but people die everyday for reasons that are more understandable than this.

16. DMark69

I saw this earlier today, it made me very sad and angry. My husband understandably asked what was wrong and I showed it to him as well. I know both my family and my husbands family are accepting and I know neither of us will have to go through the hell described in the video, but I really wish we had the legal protections. We were legally married in Iowa, but since the US Federal Government, and our home state, Wyoming, do not recognize it we have none of these protections.
    My husband shared this video on Facebook tonight, and it is very reassuring to get a response from his mother "I am disgusted by the ignorance of so many!!! Id on't even know what to say except thaty you (my husband) will always be loved and accepted by me, and so will my SON-IN-LAW Mark!"
    I am very lucky to have accepting families on both sides. I wish more people did. I also wish the law afforded the protections afforded to straight married couples.

17. BudderMC

I could give you any list of things you do on a daily basis that would cause you to have a life-threatening accident. It's the equivalent of telling you to not go outside, by your logic. Regardless, the video wasn't about the fact that he died, it was about the fact that he had no rights in the aftermath.

18. Valyrian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was so sad, made me cry and i got pissed off at the same time..his family might had rejected him but he didn't have the right to kill himself and do that to Shane.

RIP Tom.

19. Sukisho

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't watch the video, as a friend of mine has died recently, but from the comments I know what it was about.

My advice to all same-sex couples out there is to give your partner Power of Attorney. This makes them legally in charge of all financial and medical decisions should something happen to you and can even put them in charge of minor children. Please take the time and effort to find out about how to do this where you live, especially if you are married or in a stable long-term relationship akin to marriage. Don't let this happen to you.

20. castle walls

Well the "right to suicide" issue is a completely different discussion that I think would be out of place here.

I could be wrong but I don't think that this was a suicide. I believe it was a tragic accident. If I heard correctly, he died while taking pictures of something

RIP Tom