1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

higher rate of pregnancy for LGB youth?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Caoimhe Fayre, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Caoimhe Fayre

I stumbled across this study online and found it interesting...

any thoughts on this?

how many of us wish that there had been LGBT inclusive health and sex education while we were in (or if you are in) high school?

sorry, just realized that the link went to a blog... not my blog, seems like a professionally operated blog (like a newsource that's on a blog site? I will check with a mod later to see if it's ok to post or not), but I don't want to get in trouble so I'm taking it down for now...

basically the study said that GLB youth are actually MORE likely to experience teen pregnancy than their counterparts if they are rejected at home or if LGB curriculum is not included, because they will still engage in heterosexual activity in an effort to stay closeted but are less likely to use protection.

#1 Caoimhe Fayre, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  2. Caoimhe Fayre

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mind actually kinda just makes me go "huh?" Because um...how can they have pregnancy, especially if it says they experience rejection when coming out...if they were likely to have unprotected sex with anyone wouldn't it be another guy? Sorry I'm just confused about this even with the research...

4. Phoenix91

Mmmmm makes kinda sense since if you are a closeted female or are in denial of your sexuality or confused,in order to prove you are heterosexual,you might engage in more promiscuous sex with the opposite sex. LOL is that what you are trying to say?

5. sanguine

just goes to show what a sad household you'd have to be brought up in to prove a point, or what ever that point is.

i dunno, i think its understandable, especially cause alot people who are homosexuals tend to fool themselves into thinking they are atleast bi,

no one wants to be the gay kid.

6. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Now we only have to wait for some of the homophobic orginisations out there to twist this into evidence that homosexuality is a choice and increases the change of unwanted pregnancies :frowning2:

7. Caoimhe Fayre

no I think this study is intended to push for inclusion of LGB sexual health education in schools. at least, in Canada, that is likely how it will play out. note they claim that in communities where the LGB youth are accepted and affirmed by both their families and the school, and receive LGB-inclusive sexual health education, pregnancy and STDs are better prevented.

8. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only way I can think that I'd get somebody pregnant involves some dirty magazines, a laboratory and several thousand pounds.

Yeah, I get what he's trying to say but I think some of his research/conclusions may be a bit flawed. In England we have one of the highest rates of teen pregnancy in the world, and this would suggest that the majority of the pregnancies involve one of the parent begin LGB. Doesn't seem like it can be right?

9. fireworks

fireworks Guest

Lgb sex-ed? Yes please. I don't see why it isn't done, in all honesty. I mean sure, a minority of us are going to turn out gay, but even less are going to be having sex aged 10 (when we first had sex_ed) and, in my school anyway, a minority are going to use drugs. Plus, considering we are at the questioning age, I am sure the statistic of us who are going to, at one point, engage in homosexual activity, will be
    worth considering..
    Although it is unrelated to pregnancies, and even sex-ed in general, it would be nice to see kids and teens getting educated about lgbt stuff in general. Education=less ignorance=more acceptance=better world.

Simples :slight_smile:

10. silkfrog1292

anal does not result in pregnancies....so that probably doesn't apply

But i guess it's probable that if one wants to stay closeted, what better way than to have lots of sex with the opposite gender? That way the risk of pregnancy would naturally increase. But other than that, imho this piece seems to propagate the idea that all LGBT people come from dysfunctional families or have absolutely no sense of propreity or right and wrong. This just intensifies the "sadness" of this article.

11. Lark

Lark Guest

I guess it kind of makes sense...not sure if I could bring myself to lead on a guy that far personally though.

And YES PLEASE to LGB sex-ed. The stuff we do right now is all straight, and since no-one even takes notice of it anyways, it would be nice to do something that might be interesting and useful for a change!