1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My son just came out to me

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Proud2Bhismom, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Proud2Bhismom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello, my 12 year old son just told me he was gay. I am so very proud of him and the courage it took for him to not only sit across from me and look me in the eyes, but to also tell me he was gay. I have always been firm in believing in unconditional love, as a parent it is our job, no our HONOR to love our children no matter who or what they are so when he told me I was so PROUD of him. My husband and I had suspected for a long time, we knew it could go either way. I guess my son had already told friends at school who were encouraging and supportive, and told him to talk to me. We have always had a great relationship where he has always felt safe and comfortable in talking to me and his stepfather about anything at all. He did ask me if we could not have a long talk about it, he just wanted to let me know what he was feeling. As my son sat there telling me who he was I saw a freedom in his eyes, he was lighting up more than I had ever seen him and he has always been a happy child, but I saw something in him that I can't explain. That like maybe he was finally at peace with a part of him he had been warring with...After he was done talking to me I hugged him, told him I loved him no matter who or what he was and thanked him so much for telling me and sharing such a special part of himself with me. That when he had questions and he was ready for a longer conversation i was here. After he was gone, I went into my bathroom and cried, not in disappointment but in fear of what a hard road his life will be. He has always been bullied so bad, and here, the fourth week into the beginning of his first year in junior high he is coming out of the closet. So far he hadn't been bullied this year, but now I am worried about him being bullied with a "label" being placed on him.

When my husband got home from work I told him, he wasn't surprised in the least. He said "so, he is still our son" but my son's actual father, my ex husband is a hard and cold man...he won't be accepting at all and I fear for my son's heart when he does tell him. I am thinking of telling him myself to see how he will react and if its bad telling him he can't see or talk to my son if he can't be supportive of him since I do have that right since he only gets supervised visits, but at the same time I don't want to break my son's confidence since he asked me not to say anything because he wants to tell him his self.

Either way, I couldn't be prouder of my son. Yes I am scared just because I know it will be a hard road for him, but my husband and I are here and ready to back him, support him, fight for him and love him through it all, no matter what.

2. James1991

James1991 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This all gets me choked up! There should be more parents like you in the world, it would be a much better place :slight_smile:

3. jonnyNZ

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What an awesome mom, and an awesome father (your husband) too.
    Yes, he will have a hard road ahead, but something key to remember is that everyone goes through struggles in live, whether it be health, finances, family issues, abuse, tragedy or anything. As long as he has a good support network, it won't break him. And if you think about it, how much easier is it today than it would have been 20-30+ years ago?
    The tables are slowly starting to turn, and people who discriminate against peoples sexuality are more often perceived as intolerant, and gay-bashing is becoming less socially acceptable.
    If his biological father is going to be a jerk, then tell him to get lost until he wakes up. If he's being bullied by people who don't like him, he definitely shouldn't be bullied by someone who loves him.
    I think people deserve some discretion and time to process things inside their brains and come to terms with finding out someone they know is gay, but sensitivity is required, and if you don't feel that his bio-dad can do that for him... maybe just trust your son to tell him when he feels brave enough.

4. Proud2Bhismom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you James! I wish there we just more accepting people out there.

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2013 at 10:06 PM ----------

Thank you Jonny. I feel the same way. My son wants to be brave and tell him and tell him that if he can't accept him he doesn't want to see him anymore. All I can say is that I have an amazingly strong kid one that amazes me. I look at him and wonder where his bravery came from, 12 and ready to face some of the hardest things out there in the world. But you know what...I will be right there next to him and ready to back him through it all.. As long as he has the will to fight so do I. :slight_smile:

5. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations. You know you have raised a child properly when they have this confidence in you, well done.

As for him talking to his biological father, he has to do what he feels he has to do, but at least he knows he doesn't have to do it alone now.

Bullying? I hate it, but it is a sad fact of life and once again he knows he is loved, he is confident within himself so I know he will be OK...I also look at the positive side...your son is a trail blazer...he is paving the way for others that will come along after him.

Each person that comes out publicly becomes a role model for others and puts us one step closer to the day when being straight is not an assumption and coming out is not necessary.

Good luck to all of you :wink:

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read through this post and I caught myself tearing up and eventually crying minutes later. The tears that were shed were tears of joy that a mother of any caliber could handle their son telling them that they were gay, I only wish I have you as a mother just as immediately accepting as you were. I'm glad I took the time to read this post, it restored some of my faith in humanity.

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are an awesome mother, and your son is very brave to be able to tell you something at that young of an age! If only every mother out there was like you. :slight_smile:

About fears of possible bullying, I can say almost assuredly that there will be some people out there that may try to give your son a hard time. For the most part, the younger you go in year of birth, the more accepting of gays and lesbians kids are. Depending on if it's an urban area with a big LGBT population or a smaller town where gays might not be looked up upon as much could very well affect his future coming out plans. A good thing to do would to look up his school's bullying and discrimination policies to see if they include sexual orientation and gender identity. If they do, it'll be a lot easier to confront any intolerance your son might face. If it is a larger school that has one, your son could join a GSA if he wants to meet people like him and get advice from others. A great place for you to go for any other parental information is a local PFLAG group, or a website.

I hoped this helped answer some questions you had. Again, I am so happy to hear a story like this. You are a wonderful mom with a wonderful kid. :slight_smile:

8. Proud2Bhismom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Wow! All of your replies were so touching you had ME in tears...again! Thank you so much for all of the info and I plan on going Thursday to the local PFLAG meeting in our area and we do live in a large city so I am grateful that, since it does have a large LGBT community and I am hoping to find a group for my son so maybe he can have a circle of people he can be himself with and feel comfortable going to for support and companionship. Thanks again for all of the wonderful replies!

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a beautiful thread, and you are a fantastic mother for accepting this without conditions. And what can any of us say about your son? If I had half his courage at his age, things would have been vastly different.

That light in his eyes that you describe is a reflection of the peace that follows the struggle we have all been through, it is a deep unburdening, a kind of surrender to an inescapable fact, and a kind of joy at discovering something so important about oneself.

Your support is crucial in how his orientation develops. Your support over time will give him the confidence he will need to navigate these somewhat difficult waters. But, as the others said above, things are getting better....

10. biggayguy

(*hug*) Your post made me cry. It made me so happy that you have each other! Wish my mom had been like you.:thumbsup:

11. Ohhai

Oh that's so sweet, your son is so brave xx

12. Pocky

You are an incredible mother. I will admit that I had a lump in my throat reading your post.

The fact you can separate the intrinsic desire to protect your boy and embrace the person he is just absolutely floors me.

Your son coming out, despite the bullying he's experienced and the attitude of his birth father, clearly demonstrates a strong will and a well developed sense of self. Judging by the way you are going about this, you and your husband are the reason for this.

I love that you are getting involved with PFLAG and even helping him build social networks. Regardless of anything that might happen, it's this sort of stuff that will make it insignificant because he will know that there are people that care about him and love him for who he is.

Basically, your family is awesome! :grin:

13. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was worth reading that twice :wink:

It was worth saying twice as well :wink:

I'm really enjoying this thread, it's nice to have a feel good story :slight_smile:

14. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You are an amazing mother! He will need support, but I have no doubt he will receive every ounce he needs from you guys.
    Good luck!

15. lukeluvznicki13

You are an amazing mom, to be so accepting of your son and congrats to your son for being so brave :slight_smile:. So many people wish they had courage to come out and also many fear about what their parents would say.
    Give yourself a patt on your back for being so accepting and just being such a loving mom :slight_smile:

16. Proud2Bhismom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you everyone! Your reassurance is comforting, I feel like I am barely treading water at a few moments in these last 12 hours. I just don't want to let me son down, I want to make sure I give him anything and everything he needs to be healthy and proud of who he is and to never be ashamed to be himself because of "social labels". If labels are important he needs to concentrate on the ones that matter like "smart, amazing, courageous, strong, caring, loving, sensitive, giving, thoughtful, accepting" those are the labels about him he needs to care about.

We love him no matter what, if anything we love him more. He told me this morning i was is best friend and that I had already proved it long ago but once again last night I had proved that I was the best and most amazing mother in the world....I just about fell to the floor, I guess I am doing something right for him to have such confidence in me....here is to hoping that as I swim these waters with him I don't let him down.

17. Batman is swag

This post just completely restored my faith in humanity...

18. You are an awesome mom. Way to be supportive. There needs to be more moms like you. The only thing I would say is don't out him to his father if he doesn't want you too. You said he wants to tell him yourself, so let him and just be there for support if it goes badly.

19. blueberrymuffin

I have to say, i'm really impressed by you and your son. To come out at that age, i can't imagine. It takes a lot of courage indeed to tell his friends too, as well as knowing you'd be supportive, and you should be proud. Obviously very many of us on this forum wish we had a parent like you. It's really an accomplishment for you both, so congrats!

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You and your husband are incredible parents raising an incredible son. Whether you did it consciously or just naturally, you've raised him to, as Brené Brown talks about, "be vulnerable with those who have earned the right to share his story." And that's extraordinary for a 12 year old. Vulnerability is the birthplace of courage, creativity, resilience, love, and authenticity and it's something that few teens have the chance to develop early in their teen years.

Don't be too concerned about what lies ahead. With the skills and courage he is already developing, the resilience to handle whatever comes up will come along with it. And, increasingly, even in middle school, kids are becoming more tolerant and accepting of their peers who are LGBT.

Just keep doing what you're doing. You've cultivated an openness of communication that I'm sure he'll make use of as he needs to.