1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 11 year old told me he is gay

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by James mommy, Sep 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James mommy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I was at the park today with my 3 kids my 11 year old son James, my 9 YO daughter and my 11 month old baby. My son asked me if I wanted to go on a walk with him, so he and I walked around the park holding hands and talking hike the girls were with my husband ( James' ) stepdad. We were almost back to the family when he says well mom i'm gay. I said okay. I love you no matter what. (than to just confirm that there was no confusion I said) so you like boys? He said yes. I asked if he still liked girls too and he shook his head in the negative and said not really. ( before today he has had a few girls he liked and were his at school girlfriends.)

Anyhow... I love him no matter what and I want to support him the best way possible, but idk how to do that. He always tells me everything which has been which girls he liked so I'm a little confused if he is confused or certain or maybe likes both. Anyway... I have no one to talk to about this because he asked me not to.

I would just like some advice how to proceed next... Do I just carry on as if he hadn't said anything? Do we need to discuss it more? Do I find him a support group ? Do I wait it out to see if he is uncertain ?

2. theskywreck

Well, if you support him, I think you've done enough. Just make sure everything is going fine for him, especially at school (you know how mean kids can be), and let him figure his own thing out. Maybe ask him how everything is going in a few weeks, if the moment is right.

Anyway, you're a great mother! I wish there were more fine mothers like you out there. :grin:

3. James mommy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you, I just love my baby!
    He's great at school, but no one else knows ... He's only told me. He has told me that he has a crush on his BF in FL (we are about to move back there) , but this worries me as I don't think his friend is gay. I don't know how to help him navigate that.
    Currently he is very well liked at school participates in the band and the school play, lots of friends, and I just don't want that to change for him...

4. GirlWhoWaited

Navigating unrequited affection is pretty much the same all around, unless there's homophobia at play. There isn't (to my limited knowledge) a surefire formula for getting kids through love unscathed. Hugs are a great remedy, though. :slight_smile: As for school, the arts tend to be a good area for LGBT kids, as a great deal of importance is placed on self-awareness and expression. I've always been heavily involved in theater, and it tends to be a pretty safe place. Anyway, it's obvious that your son feels safe with YOU, and that's huge. Thanks for being one of the good ones. :wink:

5. RCJ24

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm so proud of you and your son both! I am 20 years old and still haven't come out to my family because I am scared of my mothers reaction. You accepting your son and embracing him is simply beautiful. Also, I commend him for coming out at such a young age. It shows a lot of courage and strength. The fact that he was comfortable enough to tell you assures me you are a great mother! As for him having "girlfriends" before or what not, I still talk to my mom about girls I like when she asks me that sort of stuff just because I'm still hiding my feelings. I don't know your sons particular situation, but maybe it could be the same. As of right now, you are his "support group" just make sure he knows that you are there to talk about it any time he needs you. Sometimes just knowing someone is there to talk to can make a huge difference, but try not to be pushy as it might make him a tad uncomfortable. Once again I'm so proud of you both. I nominate you for mom of the year! Good luck with everything.

6. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He has confided in you, that means he trust you, well done.

If he trusts you that means what you have done as a mother until this point has been the right thing.

So now I have a question for you, what do you think you should do now? :wink:

7. James mommy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Idk what I should do now.... That's why I joined this forum and have been reading since he went to bed about parenting . I just plan on being supportive, listening when he wants to talk, and I guess just being the same except instead of girls he will be talking about boys.

Thanks for responding everyone .

8. Gen

Gen

As has unanimously been stated, you have already taken the first step in loving and accepting him as he is.

For the "Girlfriends":

These ideas are common among children pre-puberty because before they pass that threshold, most have difficultly deciphering between admiration and attraction. Regardless of sex, children often experiences instances of admiration for members of both sexes; however, since being with the opposite sex is what is imposed on them by society, they tend to be led to believe that their admiration for the opposite sex is "attraction" and the same sex as "idolization". Though in reality most children don't experience actual strong attractions until early puberty.

9. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This.

The point of my post was to say 'trust your instincts' because you have trusted them to now and you have been the best mum.

He has already come to you, if he needs anything else he will come to you again. It's a bigger deal to him than it is to you that he has told you that he is gay, and the fact that you have responded positively takes a weight off his shoulders when he may have been preparing to be rejected. Give him time to calm down because I would imagine he may be a limitless bundle of emotions :wink:

In the mean time, perhaps you could search for your nearest chapter of PFLAG where you can chat with other parents with gay children.

Trust yourself to do the right thing :wink:

10. Ohhai

Aww :slight_smile: it's so good he trusts you and that you can support him xxx

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He can join EC, with your permission. Officially, we don't take people younger than 13, but that's because of a US law that was put into place 10+ years ago and has never been enforced. In any case, with parental permission, a child younger than 13 would be permitted to participate here, and while there's some pretty adult conversations that go into some pretty frank and explicit talk about sexuality and sexual expression... my guess is your son has probably already seen/heard/read enough on his own that nothing here will shock him.

As far as what you can do... first thing I'd suggest is finding a local PFLAG group in your area and attending a meeting or two. It's an amazing, warm, inviting group of people in various stages of coming to terms with having LGBT children, and I think you'll find it a wonderful resource.

And I think it might be sensible to just briefly talk to him, privately, and tell him that you know it's probably really awkward to talk about anything having to do with sex, but you'll be there to talk to him about anything he wants to talk about, including boyfrends, problems at school, bullying, or anything else... but you won't push or pry or anything else and will let him set the terms for the conversation. That way, you've made it clear you're comfortable, but letting him make the decisions about what to discuss.

And... do think about pointing him here. Not to toot our own horn but EC is probably the best, safest, and most supportive resource that exists for young teens (and pre-teens) dealing with their sexual orientation and related issues.

12. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best. Mother. Ever.
    :slight_smile:

13. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    too bloody right :wink:

and it is heartening to see so many mothers (and fathers) come here and talking about their experiences with their teen and preteen children.

Perhaps the admins could consider new sections or even a sticky in EC where Mum's and Dads with young children coming out can be in one place for each other.

14. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you sound like you're doing great so far, accepting what he's told you! Just keep listening, supporting and it sounds like if one day he does realise he likes girls and boys that he will be comfortable telling you. If you normally ask about girls he likes at school, maybe ask in a gender neutral way if you think he might be bi not gay, as that wouldn't disrespect the fact he's come out as gay but leaves things open. As for his friend not liking him back, everyone goes through that gay or straight, just be there for him and answer his questions if he is wondering whether to tell his friend - I'd go for not personally as it could ruin a friendship, gay or straight. Good luck and well done for having such a close relationship with your son that he felt happy coming out to you :slight_smile:

15. bscott92

I honestly can't imagine having that conversation with my mother as an 11 year old. I can't imagine having that conversation with anyone as an 11 year old. That says a great deal about you...and your son. You must have a great relationship. You should be very proud of yourself and him. I would just let him continue to come to you. He obviously doesn't have a problem doing it.

16. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First of all, you are a wonderful mother for supporting him. I wish my mom was as understanding and open-minded as you are. My mother has no idea that I like women, and unfortunately, she probably never will. She was raised to believe it is wrong and an abomination. No, she doesn't go around degrading homosexuals. She's actually a generally nice person when someone who is gay talks to her. But I know that she thinks it's wrong because she tells me all the time.

What you can do for you child is to continue supporting him. He may or may not want to come out at school, but if he does, he may or may not be picked on. Other children can be very cruel, especially if they were raised to believe homosexuality is wrong. The best thing for you to do is to remind him that he is who he was meant to be and that nothing is wrong with it. Make sure you tell him that the only reason others see it as wrong is because a lot of society was built to believe that it should always be man + woman. I bet if he said something like that to the kids at his school, they wouldn't have much to say afterwards, lol. :slight_smile:

A support group for him is a wonderful idea. Support groups are made to build confidence and acceptance in a person. I think you should act the way everything was before he told you. He will come to you if he has any questions or things to tell you. Make sure you ask questions as well, because that will help him realize that you do fully support him and that you are interested in what he has to say.

Good luck! :grin:

17. James mommy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you all for your feedback. I wish I were a better mom cause frankly I've been a little depressed since he told me yesterday ( not that I'll ever let him see or know that) I'm not anti gay I just had the thought of him getting married and having children one day in my mind and now that's gone(I mean the traditional way) also i fear close minded people! but he is everything I could ever want in a son . He's my first baby and my first true love :slight_smile: so I'll adjust. I asked when or if he wants to tell his father or if he wants me to, but he says he wants to wait maybe five years just to be sure that this is who he is and what he wants (still sounds unsure) . Also to

Chip I asked if he'd like to talk to anyone or to join this forum so he could speak frankly with other people , but he declined . He said he's good and he's got me.

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for posting, and I think you've done a great job. I also think it's perfectly OK to feel a bit depressed about wanting grand-kids; I know my mom was too, when I first told her, after all, we're all only human. You seem to have a really great attitude about adjusting...and it is a big adjustment, because being gay still isn't the easiest thing, and there are a lot of legitimate concerns. But your being there and being supportive is very heartening, and posts like yours help give me hope.

Oh, and the thing about pomegranates in my description is just a joke! I actually have a partner who I've been with for 24 years now, and we plan to get married here in Maryland next spring. My family accepts my partner as part of the family by now; it may have taken some time, but over the years, even the more conservative aunts and uncles came to see we're just two people who love each other. It was harder coming out back in the late 80s, but I've managed to have a good life, there have been ups and downs sure, but I've remained young at heart, and hopeful for the future, that things will get better for LGBT people in general.

19. Ticklish Fish

RE what everyone said, for my first year on EC, there's a few impressive parents on here whose thread I remember reading, and I am tipping my hat for now since I can't tip champagne yet.

(damn, I don't remember what I did when i was 11 years old lol)

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^^This.

I really wish I had found EC back when I was 14 and I first realized I had attractions towards men. All the fear and anxiety about someone finding out my secret, I really wish I had a site like EC back then. It might do him well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.