1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my daughter might be a lesbian (what do I do?)

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Mother of 2, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Mother of 2

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't know if this is in the right spot, so if it isn't I apologize.

Now on to the purpose of my post. I have suspected for years that my oldest might be a lesbian. When she was about 13 I checked the history on the family computer after she had used it (she had looked rather guilty when I walked in and closed the window pretty fast) and all the most recent sites were lesbian forums and stories. When I asked her about it, she denied it and said she was just curious about "them," but I think she was scared and embarrassed. It probably didn't help that I was crying when I asked. I let it drop, but my suspicion remained. She never seemed to take an interest in boys like her friends, and whenever I'd try to ask her about boys, she just seemed uncomfortable. I've noticed that she also gets very uncomfortable any time gays or lesbians are mentioned. She's 21 now and in college, and I think that one of her friends is more than a friend. It's hard to explain my suspicion, but my daughter talks about and looks at this "friend" differently than her other friends.

The point is, I'm concerned about her. If my suspicions are correct, she's been hiding this for years. Why won't she just tell me? Would it be a terrible idea for me to confront her and ask about it? I hate the idea of her hiding her relationship from me. I love her and that won't change just because she likes girls, if that is indeed the case.

2. piratealisonnn

First off, it's awesome that your views of your daughter won't change whether she is straight or gay.

Secondly, I don't think you should confront her about it again. I think you should just reassure her that no matter what is going on in her life and no matter who she chooses to befriend, or date, that you are there for her and she can come to you. This way she knows that if, or when, the timing is right to tell you she is gay, then she should feel more comfortable about it knowing where you already stand.

Also, if she is a lesbian, it is extremely scary to come out -- especially to family members. It's a very big life change. Once people know, it makes it feel more real, more set in stone that it is what it is. Hiding this part of yourself becomes like second nature that once it is out in the open (and hopefully accepted), it is very hard to get used to, although usually very liberating.

Best of luck to you and your daughter! :slight_smile:

3. Mother of 2

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks for the reply.

She knows I love her, and I don't know how to make it more clear. I don't know how to make her know that I will understand and continue to love her without voicing my suspicions.

Also, this may be selfish of me, but I've been waiting for her to tell me something for so long and the not knowing for sure is killing me. It's been years. I would have expected her to get over the fear by now.

4. piratealisonnn

My mom used to stress to us that we could come to her for anything, no matter what it was. It kinda helped that I have multiple cousins who are gay, so I saw her reactions with them.

The fear never goes away. Even after you come out, it still lingers in the back of your mind that somehow things could backfire. It's a very scary thing to have to do, even if she knows that you'll accept her completely.

This is probably not the best way to go about this, and I don't recommend it, but this is what my mother did. I started dating my girlfriend (who I kept telling her was just a friend). She suspected something more. So she cornered me in my kitchen one day and pretty much flat out told me I was gay. She started off joking about this girl being my girlfriend and it ended up with me agreeing with her. It took her off guard bc I had denied it for so long, but she knew.

I still lived at home and wasn't in college so it was pretty easy for her to pinpoint it, since I've had the same three friends my entire life. You mentioned your daughter is in college, so it might not be the same. She could have one life around you and a whole other life at college, assuming she goes to school away from home. This could also make it difficult, merging these two worlds.

5. Mother of 2

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've told her often that she can talk about anything with me, but she won't take me up on the offer. I wouldn't want to make her feel cornered or like I'm accusing her of something. I desperately want to ask, but not if it will push her away. I wish children came with instruction manuals sometimes.

Her college isn't far, but she is living at college, so yes she does have sort of separate lives. I've only met the "friend" because she has stayed with us during some of their school breaks.

---------- Post added 2nd Oct 2013 at 06:27 PM ----------

That's when the alarm bells started going off.

6. piratealisonnn

I'd say, as hard as it is for you, to just wait it out. If something is going on with this "friend" and it gets serious, she won't wanna hide it for much longer after that.

If she knows that she can come to you, then your part is done. Just know that whatever she is doing, she is happy. And happiness can only be contained for so long before she'll wanna share it with you.

Best of luck! And good job on being a great parent. They're hard to come by these days :slight_smile:

7. bazinga91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    When I read your post at first I thought it was my mom.. I understand how your daughter feels.. I have not yet come out to my parents, I know they will love me no matter what, I know it however it is still scary, and a big step and I cant help but worry. Your daughter knows you love her, she just needs sometime.. I want to tell my parents, but I just am waiting until I am fully ready and comfortable and it feels right. You sound like an amazing mother and you are doing all of the right things, just give her time. Aside from telling you she feels like she is coming out to the world, and the world can be such an ugly place. By telling you, it makes it real, and she probably isn't fully prepared, or 100% comfortable yet, she is still working everything out. It is not your fault, and she isn't keeping it from you because she is afraid you wont love her, she is still afraid of her feelings. Everything will work out!

8. ruby7799

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well the same or similar events take place in my family as because every one thinks my female cousin is a lesbian, but when we ask she walks away all pissed off most of us are sure she is gay but we dont force her to tell nor do we hate her we love her no matter what. In all just don't pressure her into it as she may lie or she may try to distance her self more.

9. Mother of 2

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks for the support and the kind words, you two. I get that this is hard for her. It'll have to be my mission to make it easier for her.

Hopefully piratealisonnn is right and the other girl will give her the motivation to come out soon.

To ruby: Thanks for the advice. I definitely don't want to push so hard that I push her away. I'm pretty regretful that i confronted her the way I did about the stuff on the computer. Back then, the thought of her being a lesbian shocked me, and I was very emotional when I confronted her, so of course she would deny it.

10. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    " I would have expected her to get over the fear by now."

I started realising I was gay in jr. high and I'll be 33 in December. I still haven't told my parents. I have that tentatively scheduled for right after hell freezes over for the third time, but it's beginning to look like I may have to push it back a bit.

If she decides she is ready to tell you she will. Until then you just have to wait it out and love her. It may be hard but it's really all you can do. If you try to force it out of her you may end up hurting your relationship. So, the question is 'Do you think it's better to have a relationship with your daughter even though she may be hiding the fact she's gay from you or would you rather push her and risk losing the relationship you have now?'.
    If you choose the first one the only thing you can do is wait. If you choose the latter you might as well corner her tomorrow and hope for the best because you will do it eventually anyway.

I really hope you pick the first option.

11. penguin machine

You could like the Facebook page Have a Gay Day. Let her know, see how she reacts. Maybe some outward measures of acceptance would indicate a supportive stance. Worst case scenario she'll be proud of you, best case scenario she'll come out to you.

12. Mother of 2

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    May I ask what has kept you in the closet so long?

Of course I want a relationship with her, but that relationship suffers from her hiding such a big part of her. I agree that waiting for her to come to me is the best option, but if this goes on into her thirties, should I really leave her to struggle with this alone?

---------- Post added 3rd Oct 2013 at 05:04 AM ----------

Thank you. I'll definitely do that.

13. penguin machine

I mean, last time the issue was right out in the open you broke down crying. Like it or not that reaction will influence her willingness to bring it up again. Who knows, maybe she's perfectly straight and she WAS just curious, once upon a time. Ultimately, speaking through actions your acceptance and comfort with the LGBT community is not only a great message to send your children, but a good way to show them you will accept them, no matter who they love.

14. hichat

Hiding the fact the she's may be suffering and miserable. I hide the fact that I'm gay for 19 years from my family. It was really tough and sad until I even thought of suiciding but I wouldn't do that. If I am dead, how's my family would gonna be like? And I can't accept the fact that my family know that I'm gay. So it was like stuck in between suiciding and coming out to them. 3 months ago I had the most difficult time in my life that forced me to come out to my family and now I feel much more better.

Your daughter may feel the same way as I did and she may be struggling with it. If you want her to come out to you instead of you asking her, you should try to let her know that you think homosexual is nothing...indirectly.

15. GirlWhoWaited

My mom is an ally, and she's my best friend. I know she'd be fine with me liking girls, but it's still weird for me to talk about sexual attraction with her...because she's my mom. So, I haven't told her. Probably won't unless I start seriously dating a girl. Maybe it's something like that. She might be waiting for it to be necessary to tell you. It can be hard to discuss that subject with someone who knew you before you were a sexual being. It's like having the sex talk multiplied by ten, because it's personal. But, it is pretty fantastic that you're concerned and accepting enough to come here and ask for our side of things. You're a great mom, and I'm sure she'll tell you when she feels ready. It's hard not being what your parents expect you to be, even if it's not a bad thing. Your own expectations get tied up in theirs, and that's a hard thing to break away from. Just keep showing her that you'll be supportive in the little ways, and she'll come around.

16. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ' May I ask what has kept you in the closet so long?'

First I had to come to terms with my sexuality. I absolutely did not want to be gay so for years I did everything I could to try to bury those feelings, but because they are a part of me they still came back. I have finally accepted who I am and was out to several of my friends when I lost my job earlier this year and was forced to move. I love my dad but he is a big time homophobe. As far as telling my mother goes, our relationship could be described as 'strained' at best. To be honest if it weren't for the biological programming that forces parents/ children to love each other me and my mother would only speek to each other if it was absolutely necessary.

17. apostrophied

Wow, congratulations on being a great mom. My mom just digs her head in the sand, ti's painful for the both of us.

I might be going against the current here, but I think that confrontation might actually be good in the sense that it would relieve your daughter of the burden of having to open the topic and break the news to you (which is the hardest part of coming out, IMO). Because of what happened back when she was 13, it's possible that she is terrified to bring up the topic again, yet is dying to share with you that she's in love and happy. I had a somewhat similar situation with my mom a few years ago, and I'm honestly still too traumatized to bring up the whole gay thing again. If she decided to change her mind about how she feels about homosexuality, she'd have to drag me out of the closet. But I can't deny that I desperately need her support and guidance in the romantic area of my life, so it would be a huge relief to me to be able to talk freely to her.

Anyway, you know your daughter best, so whatever approach you feel is better suited to the situation, I wish you all the best and I hope that your relationship with your daughter is only strengthened because of this. May she bring you much pride and happiness as all daughters should. :slight_smile:

18. Mother of 2

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you for all the replies. I'm sorry to hear how much you guys have suffered because of this, and it's not a good feeling to think my daughter might be going through those things. I think I'm getting an better idea of what she might be going through from all your replies, and I'm hopefully learning of how I can best support her though this. I'm still conflicted about exactly what course of action to take, how I should approach her about it, or if I should at all, but I guess that's one of those things I have to figure out for myself.

Apostropied: That is what makes me so sorry about my first reaction. I'm afraid I scared her and gave her the impression that I wasn't okay with her being a lesbian. In that episode when she was 13, my tears were not because I have a problem with her being a lesbian, I was just concerned about all the grief she might get for it, if that makes sense. I should have given myself time to calm down before speaking to her though. It's hard to know exactly is the confrontation is what she needs or if I would just push her away, which is something I don't want to risk.

I'm sending you all big virtual hugs of thanks.

19. starfish

I understand that you love your daughter, and care very much for her.

However she is an adult now, it is time to let go and let her live her life and enjoy the freedom that goes along with that. Yeah it is hard going through the coming out process, but you need to let her work through it. The hardest person to come out is yourself. Until you do that it doesn't matter how much you press the issue.

So in the mean time just provide a safe space and she'll tell you when she is ready.

Beside she might not be gay. Her friend might just be a friend after all.

20. fortheloveoflez

It is very hard to come to terms with the fact that you're gay. Believe me when I say it; it can be very terrifying.

Don't take it personally that she hasn't told you yet. Also, the fact that you were crying when you assumed she was a lesbian can push her back further in the closet....since she would feel like her coming out would completely hurt you which would devastate her in return. A person will come out first when they accept themselves. They THEN come out to friends then their parents. The order follows this way because every person needs to feel a bit stable before they come out to their parents; in the case that they feel their parents would be disappointed.