1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question: Why are family and friends so afraid or unwilling to support?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by MAXWELL45, Feb 1, 2014.

1. MAXWELL45

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I grew up in a hostile, abusive, alcoholic, and very dysfunctional family. There was zero support from any of them, ever. They seem to thrive by boosting their egos on put downs and insulting bias judgments of each other and me. It was the worst time of my life that I wish I could so ever forget. To ever share with them back them I may be bi or gay would of been pure suicidal at best.

Now that I am older, I try not to have any more contact with my siblings. It is just safer emotionally that way. However, because I take care of a family member who needs someone to help ( and there is no one else) , I can not completely avoid these people I grew up with. Now that I am sure I am either bi or gay, I know I can not ever turn to them. They have not changed since childhood. If anything, they took it all into their adult life and gotten worse. So I know way better from experience and fear never ever to disclose to them that I am anything but ‘straight’. The only true blessing I have in all of this with them is that I am adopted and share no blood connection with them. I am so grateful for that!!!

As to my friends, they are limited to my church family. I go to a wonderful church. I simply love it and the people there, however... And there is a huge however here. They are anti-anything but straight thinkers and believers. I am accepted by my friends there, but only if I appear to be straight without question. If I give off any impression or indicators of anything but straight, I will loose them all. That is certain and a given.

Because the city I live in is so conservative and anti-sexuality issues, I have zero real in person support or help. I can not afford to move or travel to far for support. Plus, despite of everything, I like where I live. So I am here, in mid life ( almost 42 ) in this very confusing and emotionally challenging time and with no support. Why?

I want to know why? Why is it so hard for family and friends to support people who are dealing with sexuality issues? What are they afraid of? What do they think will happen to them if they did just care and support rather than judge and turn away? I want to know cause I am lost, confused, hurt, scared as heck, and very much alone. I want know why I don’t have the support I need when I’ve done nothing to deserve not having it? Can anyone answer this ( cause I can’t ) ?:eusa_doh:

~ Max

2. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know if anyone can answer that in a way that applies to every situation. Here's a few thoughts hower, see if anything rings true to you.
    Some people have a life philosophy of "survival of the fittest", where every thing is a battle, and their "success" in every transaction or situation is whether they got more out of it than others. If you strongly believe in this, chances are you want your kids to succeed as well because getting into that parking spot before the other car is about survival. Do you see how absurd this can get? So discussing emotions unless it's rage and anger is not conducive to this success. Raising kids who are strong, never show anything that can be remotely called by anyone as a weakness is their mission in life.

Then there's another kind of people who value diversity cooperation support tolerance etc...

The whole fear of sexually-related discussion is sometimes rooted in some religions, where unless it's within marriage and with the intent to make babies it's considered sinful. More recently with more and more people accepting that homosexuality is not a choice but a biological/genetic thing, family members sometimes panic thinking that because they share genes it could happen to them as well. I just realize you said you're not biologically related to this fine group of people, but it's one explanation for other situations.

Keep posting here, sometimes even just typing stuff and re-arranging it so it makes senses as a post helps us understand it better. Plus you're probably going to get some good advice from members here.

3. katwat

Hi Max

I am so sorry your family are unsupportive.

I know how much it hurts when family is the cause of your pain. My father was a verbally abusive jerk. My sister often fluctuates between snarky, mean, judgmental, snarky, and (just to screw with my head) super nice. My paternal grandmother was extremely negative towards me. It hurts and it makes everything else in life harder to deal with.

I admit I know very little about Southern California geography so going to ask a stupid question. Is there a town nearby (easy to get to) where you would feel less vulnerable (no friends or family) and might be able to find a support group or organization where you could meet people who would be more accepting.

I have one other question that I am going to ask not for me to give you an answer but for you to just think on. If your family are such unsupportive shits what exactly would it hurt for them to be unsupportive shits of you living your life in a way that makes you happy instead of being unsupportive shits of you while living unhappily? I know you have friends at your church and are afraid of losing them but again if they are not your friends when you are happy how are they a loss? Try to look at not just the dangers or possible losses but of things that you might gain.

Good luck to you. I hope you find the love and support that you deserve.

4. Clay

I don't really think there's an answer to you question. I guess it's just that unconditional love doesn't exist.

5. RandomMatt

Personally I think the love is still there; it's just, for the most part, the display of love that varies from family to family. I've honestly seen some families that believe shunning their loved ones because of their sexual orientation is a sign that they love them; that being away from one another is for the best, that the ridiculing is for the best (and of course these same people have the nonsensical mindset of 'ohhh you can change from this, we know you can, you just need this extra push'). Other families may simply just be confused, and acts of hostility are their only way at that point of expressing themselves, however wrong that might be.

6. GayDadStr8Marig

Oh, Maxwell you are absolutely not alone. People do not accept things they don't understand out of self-preservation. They assume if you're not straight there must be something wrong with you, or somehow they failed in raising you. Take a look at how you described your adoptive family. There are so many issues going on there they're emotionally closed off to being able to help anyone. It doesn't necessarily have to be sexuality; anything that makes you "different" would be a huge barrier to "fitting in" in that environment.

It is not you that is or has the problem. Get past that line of thinking. Recognize that everyone is limited to some extent or another as to how they can care for another human being; in the case of your family they seem limited to such an extent that they cannot care for themselves and pursue destructive behaviors.

If you can't get access to local support (I totally get this; I have resources in the area I cannot use without coming out of my closet... classic Catch-22 scenario), rely on us here to talk through what you're feeling.

7. peace87

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I could relate to you. My family is homophobic. I was brought up to think of gays as disgusting. I'm gay, and know my family will never change. It's not that family and church friends don't want to change. But they don't want to not "fit-in" with the popular belief. If your family or friends don't love you or respect you for who you are, then find new ones. I've learned that it's impossible for me to change, so if someone can't respect me, than it's time to move on.

8. ice444

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I worked out an early age that the only one who can make you happy/be supportive is yourself.

I came out at 18 and had to move out as my family was less than supportive.

Still - it made me more independent than either of my siblings and I am a lot happier 13 year later with a loving partner.

I see my parents 4 times a year without my partner.

I would say - limit contact and not caring what they think has helped me.

They might be family, but it doesn't mean they can treat you like dirt.