1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New and need advice about my son

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Elliebean, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Elliebean

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I’ll try and keep this brief as it could very easily turn into an essay!

Firstly, my son told me he was gay when he was 11 (he’s now 15). It wasn’t much of a surprise - for about a year or so before hand he would talk a lot about people being gay, wanting to know who was of everyone he saw on TV, about people I know who are. He was well into puberty by this time being a very early developer, and mature for his age. I just basically said OK that’s fine, it makes no difference at all to me.

For a while he would talk to me a lot about it, and he said he was worried because he wanted to marry and have children. I said that’s not a problem, he can still marry and have children.
    Then he started saying he thought he was bisexual and he would rather marry a woman than a man, because that was better. I said that if he loved someone he’d want to marry them and not care if they were a man or woman, and there’s no better or worse, only love.
    Then he said he didn’t know if he was gay, and he didn’t want to be. I told him to just stop worrying about it and see who he fell in love with, because that’s how he’d know and when he would be certain. He was still only 12.

Now over the last couple of years things have become more difficult and I don’t know what to do. He out of the blue became really defensive and angry and just rant out of nowhere that he wasn’t gay. I would say “Fine, whatever, only you know” It’s not as if I was saying he was, he would just fly off the handle at random. But there’s now this unwritten rule that I must never allude to his sexuality. Which is fair enough, and I don’t. I thought he needs space to work things out.

But at the same time he talks about “gay” in general all the time. Literally the majority of the conversations we have he brings it up or uses the word, and he talks a lot about other boys who are out at school. When we’re out he’s always pointing out who he thinks is gay or trans (only men, never even looks at a woman). I’ve discreetly watched and I’ve seen him checking out boys and men, and vice versa. I’ve watched for a reaction if an attractive girl is around and there’s nothing. He is (I know I’m his mother, but :icon_wink ) a tall, well dressed and rather good looking young man and I’ve seen girls checking him out or trying to chat him up quite a few times, and he’s utterly oblivious or blanks them. I have also seen him flirting with another boy. He was 13 at the time, the other boy older and initiated it. It was very obvious. He’s never had a girlfriend, the only one of his friends who hasn’t even though he’s socially confident and popular.

He is quite private about his emotions, though we have a good relationship and he will talk to me about most things eventually. He also cares a lot (way too much in my view) about what others think of him, and conformity. It’s all a bit alien to me because I’ve never cared, not even as a teen, what others thought, but I respect the fact he is very different to me in many ways and it really matters to him. He was also bullied quite badly when he was very young in a previous school, and his self esteem underneath an outgoing exterior is fragile.

I thought this may be a good place to ask as there must be people on here who can relate to whatever is going on with him, or be able to tell me how they’d want their parents to handle it if it was them. I just don’t know what to do and it is reaching the point where I’m starting to get concerned about him. He seems so angry and distressed a lot of the time. He’s not at ease with himself, even though he has a lot of friends he’s said before he has to keep up an act with them. At home he is very camp and flamboyant; with his friends he’s far more controlled and neutral.

It’s not supposed to be this way round! Can social pressure and conformity be so strong it makes him unable to accept himself, even though his family does? It’s almost like he doesn’t want to be who he is, or he sees it as second best (back to his statement that it’s "better" to marry a woman than a man?)

I don’t want to invade his privacy or be pushy but this has gone on for a long time (two years) and its draining. He’s not happy, and it’s not healthy. He talks endlessly about everything on the planet related to being gay until it’s the top subject of conversation in the house, but won’t allow me to bring it up, or mention anything about him? Or anyone else – he gets equally angry and upset if anyone makes any reference to him and relationships/romance in any context (which is becoming more common because of his age), and there's this stony silence from him and I have to deal with the fallout later.

I just don’t know what I can do or how to help him. Is there something obvious I’m missing? Should I push him to talk? Or just avoid it like I have been and wait for him to speak to me, or work it through himself?

Any advice would be gratefully received

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s not supposed to be this way round! Can social pressure and conformity be so strong it makes him unable to accept himself, even though his family does?

Oh heavens yes. Keep in mind that there is a sense of 'your family HAVE to love you because they are family'. Don't get me wrong, we rarely see that around here, but it is something you sort of expect a lot of the time. I mean, you described your son earlier, so let me ask you this. If he had come to you saying he didn't think he was attractive, do you think he would believe the things you said about him? Or is it more like he would think 'well mum HAS to say that'!

If he IS gay (and I have to admit he definitely sounds like he might be) he is probabkly having a hard time dealing with it. Keep in mind that while YOU would accept him for it, that doesn't mean that everyone else will. Look around at any piece of news to do with LGBT stuff and you will hear about this person that was killed, these people were beating, so and so was burned alive and its now illegal to be gay in such and such. Even closer to home almost everyone knows at least one person who constantly uses gay people as the punchline in jokes and everyone just goes along with it...my point is that even if the reality is that it isn't THAT bad all the time, it certainly SEEMS like a scary world when you are hovering by the door!

If you're going to try and get him to talk, leave sexuality WAY out of it. Don't even bring him up. You've told us he is angry and distressed and seems to have a significant change in attitudes at home and with his friends. You can approach him with those without going NEAR sexuality.

Chances are he won't talk to you anyway, but basically all you are doing is showing him that you are there to talk IF HE NEEDS TO. You're not trying to force him to say anything he doesn't want to, you are just letting him know you are there.

---------- Post added 28th Apr 2014 at 02:47 PM ----------

EDIT: Just to add. I was angry constantly, different in social situations and refused to talk to anyone when I was his age. It took me until I was 22 to reach breaking point and get help, now I'm here.

3. White Knight

His age where boys try their hardest to become man. Being a man, in that twisted teenager boy mind, not involve including your mom to your problems, acting tough(even you are gay). And they are touchy... I've seen it with my friend, my brother and in myself... we can put ladies in shame about being touchy about everything. We feel like world is out there to get us, make fool of us and break our precious tough posture in life.

Hardest part of being a gay indivudal perhaps, even if you know it, accepting who you are. He will face his demons anytime soon.

So my best advice for you to act as a safety net. Not get in his way but watch and let him know he can come to you anytime with anything.

4. Stingray

Stingray Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You mentioned that he was bullied quite badly in a previous school. Do you remember what that was about?

5. Clay

By the sounds of it he's going through the five stages of grief. He's on anger right now, and it looks like he hates himself for being gay, which is why he's reacting so badly.

I assume he's angry because he doesn't want to be gay and it's getting in the way of what he wants (to get married and have kids). Being gay is reminding him that he's not like everyone else, the things they enjoy (especially teenage boys) he can't enjoy no matter how much he wants to. This part here:

Yeah that's probably the answer. Chances are he doesn't want to be who he is because he see's it as second best. Society, unfortunately, tends to agree. Whether it be intentionally by straight up calling gay people evil, or unintentionally by showing how great it is to be straight (which is what 98% of media does).

I guess what I would do in this situation is try to speak to him. Tell him that he can talk to you about absolutely anything, you're there for him. Tell him that you've noticed he seems to be upset, and you don't want it to feel like he can't speak to you, and ask him what's wrong.

Another option, if that doesn't work, would be to get a therapist. What he's going through is normal (I'm sure all of us here have gone through what he's going through, I hated myself for years) but like you said it's not healthy. It looks like he's depressed, speaking to you or a professional might be his best option here.

6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He is probably going through various waves of thoughts and emotions, sometimes being scared of being himself and embarrassed that he ever said he was gay. So I think somehow leave him to work a few things out. When he has found someone to be close with he will feel more secure and able to talk about it.

I think older teens probably find sexuality more difficult to talk to mothers about … compared to 12, 15 year olds.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome. This has got to be heartbreaking and difficult for you. I can imagine how upsetting it is to see your son so unhappy for such a long period. You're in the right place, and hopefully we can help a bit.

First, I would say, with a pretty high degree of confidence, that he's most likely gay and trying desperately not to be.

From a social development perspective, the years 13-17 are the "conformity" years, where the teen wants more than anything to "fit in" with his peers and be like everyone else. This is well documented in social psychology theory, and I remember it myself growing up... having to have the same shoes, pants, backpack, etc. that everyone else was wearing, that sort of thing. So being gay would be a blaring and obvious way he doesn't "belong" to that group.

The low self esteem and being bullied part would make the desire to "fit in" even stronger. Shame is the deeply held belief that we're not worthy of love and belonging; that we're broken or somehow not enough for others to want us. And shame and low self-esteem are deeply tied together.

Add to that the normal "emo" mood swings, and common episodic depression that many teens have, and you have a pretty good description of what's likely going on here.

The antidote to shame is empathy, connection, being heard and understood, and feeling a sense of connection and belonging. And to feel that, we have to make ourselves vulnerable... open to being who we are, to being seen, to be able to share our story with those who have earned the right to hear it.

Unfortunately, what many kids of this age do is they mistake "fitting in" for "belonging", and they're completely different, because with "fitting in", you know you don't really belong, but you mask who you are... which only increases the shame.

This is really common among gay youth, and it seems like it may be what's going on with your son.

The above, by the way, is all based on the work of Brené Brown, a researcher who has been studying shame, authenticity, connection, and vulnerability for some 14 years. I'd highly recommend getting her book "Daring Greatly" which has several chapters on parenting and shame, and what parents can do to improve things for their children.

I also have a "back door" suggestion. I have no idea if it will work, but it might. Dr. Brown has three TED talks, available on Youtube. My two favorites are below:

[YOUTUBE]iCvmsMzlF7o[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]_UoMXF73j0c[/YOUTUBE]

Dr Brown never directly talks about being gay and its impact on shame, but her work directly applies, and anyone who is gay and struggling will "get it" pretty quickly. So my thought is that if you could somehow get your son to sit with you and watch one or both of these (they're about 18 minutes each)... he might make the connection himself.

Also, if there's any way you can possibly get him to check out EC... we're a great resource to help people in his circumstance. We've had quite a few people who have come here, angry because "they weren't gay but everyone thinks they are", or not wanting to be gay, and the like... and over time, they've come to accept and love themselves, simply because the community is a great source for nonjudgmental listening and empathy.

If you decide you want to do that, we can easily remove this thread so he won't run across it.

In any case, you're an awesome mom and I'm willing to wager that many, many of the members here would swap their mom for yours in a heartbeat. Your son should come out of this just fine, but perhaps he can be helped along to make it a little quicker.

8. Wow, this is a very delicate situation.

First up - you're incredible for being so supportive. I don't think you could have done anything better up to now.

As for the situation in hand - there's really no right or wrong way to handle it. From the way you've described it, he's almost certainly primarily attracted to other guys. He'll either bury himself very deep in the closet (which is the route he's going down right now) - or at some point he'll come out. The fact that he hasn't had a girlfriend is a good sign he's being honest with himself on some level at least.

A few issues to be aware of when handling this;

1. Labels are REALLY important. You've discovered the sensitivity that he has over the word "gay" - this is normal. If you do approach the subject with him, try to use neutral language.
    2. Bullying. He might not realise it but he may well be bullying suspected/openly gay people at school. Or he might be having *encounters* with them, then hating himself for it afterwards.
    3. Depression/anxiety are, sadly, an inevitable reault of an internal struggle like this. The longer the struggle goes on for, the more serious it can be. For him this must seem like a monumental struggle that he is fighting against himself - things can seem black & white & facing the truth can seem impossible. Please watch out for this.

The general advice is to let people come out in their own time, just be supportive and he'll get there eventually. However, there is also an argument for *forcing* the issue with him, trying to confront him with a few cold and hard facts;

Nobody gets to choose their sexuality.
    There's nothing wrong with being gay.
    You can't ever be happy surpressing your natural attractions.
    You can't live your life by other peoples standards. No-one else does, why should you?

If you do go this route - probably much better to do it in a letter/email form, rather than face-to-face. Gives him time to think about it & dwell on it, otherwise he'll probably just put his defensive walls up and loudly proclaim his straightness.

#8 uniqueusername3, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  9. Aldrick

Elliebean -

You've received such wonderful advice already, that I don't have much to add of my own. I do, however, want to take a moment and point out how fantastic you are as a mother. In handling this situation, you've done everything right. If you feel at all that you've somehow let him down, or didn't do enough - don't. Many people here would do anything to have someone like you as their mother, and your son, while no doubt taking you for granted, is insanely lucky even if he may not realize it yet.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything written by ElliaOtaku, White Knight, Pluvia, Chip, and Uniqueusername3. They've pretty much covered everything that I thought to say when reading your post.

Here is what I'll add.

From my own personal experience, I've had instances where I've acted no different than your son. Moments where I freeze up, unable to answer simple questions. Moments where I've lashed out, at people who pry too much. I built a huge wall around myself and my personal life, and everything became effectively: Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

From an outside perspective, I'm sure I may have looked angry or at the very least defensive. However, inwardly I was terrified. Imagine if you had discovered someone who had read your private diary where you wrote down all your most intimate thoughts. You may react angrily at the violation of privacy, but that's only on the surface. Deeper down below that, you're terrified at what they've read, what they thought, and how they might be judging you right now. That is what it was like having normal conversations that people took for granted.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot more you can do. This is something that he's going to have to work through on his own. You can be as supportive as you like, but at the end of the day he has to come to terms with it himself. You can't work through his emotions for him. All you can do is love him, show him support, and make sure he knows that you're there for him when he's ready to talk.

Aside from that, you can specifically try to think of opportunities to create situations where he might talk to you. If he opens up a little at a time, it becomes easier. From your perspective, I'm sure him being gay is no big deal because you'll love him all the same. However, from his perspective it's likely an end-of-the-world type of situation. He's going to act in accordance with that perspective.

The best advice I can give that you haven't already received, is to look around at the influences on his life. Is he receiving anti-LGBT influences from any particular place, person, or institution? If so, limiting his access to that could help. You can also counter it by trying to put him in a position where he'll be influenced in a positive way by pro-LGBT influences.

Finally, you mentioned that he talks about LGBT people and themes all the time. When he speaks about them, does he speak positively or negatively?

10. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s not supposed to be this way round! Can social pressure and conformity be so strong it makes him unable to accept himself, even though his family does? It’s almost like he doesn’t want to be who he is, or he sees it as second best (back to his statement that it’s "better" to marry a woman than a man?)

Obviously in glancing it has all ready been said, but absolutely yes! It seems more than likely that this is the case.

I apologize in that I have not read through all these surely wonderful responses (quick study break from finals here), but I have some brief advice.

From experience, I want to urge you to not let this "play out in time" - this could turn out very, very bad - bottling up emotion is not something to be desired in a developing teen.

Try to talk to him and get him to open up, but preface it with utmost empathy, concern, and a non-judgmental attitude with regards to whatever is happening (I know this should seem obvious coming from you, but teens have a habit of forgetting it). Then try to start small, as in "how is school going?" or whatnot, and try to build in detail from there. While I might be inclined to leave it alone if he gives nothing, based on your worries over this I would not be afraid to keep at it if you get stonewalled.

In any case, it won't be easy, so know that you're trying your best - just don't let this continue unspoken. I must stress that again.

Good luck, and I hope we've all been of help. You sound like a great mother! :slight_smile:

---------------------------
    Edit: I also note in quick passing that some are suggesting it would be fine if this teenager works things out himself. I'm sorry, but I disagree whole-heartedly. There are many of us, myself included, who were also deeply struggling for one reason or another at this time in life, and desperately needed someone to help guide us. I'm sure our parents were concerned - but they to allowed time to pass with no intervention under the guise of "they should figure this out for themselves."

Please, reach out in a non-judgemental and loving way. If this does not work, I second the suggestion to look for a therapist. Please do not let this pass unheeded!

#10 Browncoat, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  11. Elliebean

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Firstly, thank you everyone for all your replies, it's been very helpful getting some different perspectives. I had a good read through them all last night and a think about it.

Firstly, I'll reply to some questions:

Stingray: You mentioned that he was bullied quite badly in a previous school. Do you remember what that was about?

Answer: I do know why, but won't go into details on here in case it's too distinctive and makes him identifiable. But I can say it was nothing to do with sexuality, gender or feminity. Basically, he is camp, but has never been effeminate at all in behaviour or appearance and mixes well with other boys.

bingostring: He is probably going through various waves of thoughts and emotions, sometimes being scared of being himself and embarrassed that he ever said he was gay. So I think somehow leave him to work a few things out. When he has found someone to be close with he will feel more secure and able to talk about it.

Answer: There's two things you have said here that really ring true to me.

Firstly, I can imagine he is mortified he ever told me. He probably told me because he was 11 when he realised and it is more natural to open up to parents at that age. When I think back there are things I told my mother at 11 I really cringed about later on. So, yeah, I really think that may be part of it. It's like he's OK to relax and be himself around me because he knows I won't ask, but it's like there's a barrier saying : DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT and cringing that I know something so personal to him. Which is fair enough. Like I said, he is generally private about feelings so it fits with his character as well.

Also, I had also thought I hope he meets someone, had that instinct if he did that's when he may calm down and accept things a bit more.

Aldrick: The best advice I can give that you haven't already received, is to look around at the influences on his life. Is he receiving anti-LGBT influences from any particular place, person, or institution? If so, limiting his access to that could help. You can also counter it by trying to put him in a position where he'll be influenced in a positive way by pro-LGBT influences.

Answer: This is interesting, and the answer is other than what friends may say amoung themselves, and the general influence of society and media, I really can't think of anywhere he would have encountered overt homophobia. There's no religion involved, his school is actually very LGBT positive. There are quite a few out students there, and even a couple of openly gay staff members. It has an anti bullying policy that specifically singles out homophobic or trans bullying (along with racial/religious) as grounds for exclusion. He's spoken about other students who are out, and I asked if they were bullied, and he said no. But tellingly he did say there's some comments made, and that his peers do engage in homophobic banter sometimes.
    In short, nowhere near as bad as when I was at school, but I suspect just that worrying about what his friends would think may be enough, especially if he's heard them using homophobic language.

Finally, you mentioned that he talks about LGBT people and themes all the time. When he speaks about them, does he speak positively or negatively?

Answer: Always positively, which is the other contradictory and frustrating thing. He is very angered and (probably) over sensitive by anything he sees as homophobic in people's comments or in the media. Also, he has a number of fanboy heroes in his field of interest (again staying non specific) who are openly gay, and he idolises them.

I suppose where I am now is this has really helped to clarify my thinking. I think it probably comes down to he just doesn't want to be gay, or has an internalised sense that it's second best. And Chip's information about the shame issue - that also rings true for him. He does get very knotted up about things emotionally.

I am also inclined to agree he wishes he'd never told me!

I have thought before about talking to someone like a therapist about it, but the thing that has stopped me is he told me it was in confidence, and I'm really reluctant to break that confidence, even if he didn't know. I'd have to be a bit further down the line of worry for his mental health before I crossed that line.

It's just so frustrtating, this sense of helplessness that I can't make it better, and that he has to torture himself over it so much. It is easy to forget how out of perspective everyting is at 15.

Other than that - I'm still undecided how to proceed. I'm going to re read these replies and do some more thinking. And probably stay around here for a bit - I've looked around and there's some really helpful information and advice on these pages.

Thank you again for the time you took replying I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

12. Clay

I'm going to say that I don't think coming out to you early is the reason for the way he's reacting. If he didn't tell you at 11 he'd have to tell you at a later date. As you can see from many threads on this forum, people are terrified that their parents will find out about them, even in situations where they're sure their parents will be supportive. He doesn't have to hide from you, he doesn't have that worry, so I highly doubt he's mortified that he came out to you at 11.

Apart from that I can't really say much more than I already have. It seems like your best option right now would be to try and speak to him about it, because it doesn't seem like the problem is going away, and he's clearly not happy.

13. Elliebean

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Pluvia: I'm going to say that I don't think coming out to you early is the reason for the way he's reacting. If he didn't tell you at 11 he'd have to tell you at a later date. As you can see from many threads on this forum, people are terrified that their parents will find out about them, even in situations where they're sure their parents will be supportive. He doesn't have to hide from you, he doesn't have that worry, so I highly doubt he's mortified that he came out to you at 11.

Answer: I agree I don't think it's the main reason, though I think there is definately an element of wishing I didn't know at the moment, which is probably temporary and due to his age. At the same time as he's so comfortable being himself at home and around me there probably is also an element of relief that he doesn't have to pretend, and in time he may well just be glad he told me when he did.

The biggest revelation in understanding I have had after having a few days of reading people's stories and reflecting is the stages of grief. I think that is mainly what is going on with him. It just feels like I was so naive, even looking back after a few days, in my questioning of why he has so much conflict. I hadn't fully realised the extent to which he was having to process and let go of his idea of himself.

For example he's always been so family orientated and wanted children of his own. It's one thing for me to say its OK, you can still marry and have kids. The reality is it's not the conventional or "normal" (I hate that word!) way to do things, and it will not be as simple as it would have been if he was straight.

And as for his self image? Well, all I can reflect is that he's always been very "male", very into typical boys things like sport and cars, and wanted to be around boys and not girls. He is not at all effeminate in appearance, in spite of now being pretty camp when he's relaxed. I would even say he was "alpha male" in terms of his personality and social interaction.
    I don't know if that makes it it harder and more difficult to reconcile not being straight with the kind of self image that would give him.

Perhaps part of it would be him needing to know that being gay doesn't make you any less of a man?

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree with this, and it's important in this context to understand that the stages aren't always sequential; it's quite possible, for example, to have anger ("Why am I this way? Why can't I change") and grief ("My life is fucked. I can't be who I want to be") at the same time, and it's part of the normal grieving process. Add that to the typical teen hormonal ups and downs, and you can get a pretty good picture of what's likely going on.

It definitely can, particularly for someone in his mid-teens. "Belonging" is really important to most mid-teens, and anything that makes you stand out goes against that.

Many people who are just coming to understand gay guys assume that they're all effeminate fairies who sashay around, swinging their hips from side to side and talking about the latest haute couture fashions from Rome, while farting rainbows. :slight_smile: But that isn't the case at all: Look at Rock Hudson, Errol Flynn, Rudolph Valentino, all of whom were Hollywood actors who were major leading "ladies men." In the gay community, there are plenty of gay motorcycle biking clubs, "leather daddies" that no one would ever mistake for being unmasculine, professional athletes, and... plenty of ordinary gay guys who fix their own cars, build houses, and have mostly male friends, often a mix of straight and gay.

The perceptions he has are common ones for people who only go by the most visible parts of the gay male community, but there are likely a lot more gay men who don't fit the stereotype at all. As a society, though, we're less likely to notice them, because they "fit in" to straight society really well and nobody would notice them. :slight_smile:

15. Clay

Trust me it's honestly a good thing that he's out to you. There really will be an element of relief, it means when he's with you he can be free and relax as he doesn't have to worry about you figuring out he's gay.

I'm actually quite stunned about how quickly and well you came to understand his situation. That really is just a great thing to see. You seem to understand the inner turmoil he's going through, I'm really happy that you came here.

As for his image, it's hard to say. I don't come across as effeminate or camp (I've been told this without asking many times, don't really have an interest in "girly" things, have no gay friends except for ones on the internet, have straight up been propositioned by girls and even had a long term girlfriend) but, honestly, I'm quite glad I don't. At the stage he's at he might hate the fact that being gay seemingly conflicts with his "alpha male" status, but I think he'll eventually learn that it doesn't.

Really your question, him needing to know that being gay doesn't make you any less of a man? That's pretty much what I'm saying here. It seems like you've already got an incredibly good grasp on his situation. That makes me really happy to see. :slight_smile:

16. blueberrymuffin

Yes, social pressure can make the difference. Keep in mind he spends half his time at school, so whatever's going on there in terms of hearing "that's gay" etc frequently will deter him from being open about it. In particular if he fears losing friends, that can easily drive someone back in the closet. I doubt this is the case but religion too, if he goes to church often and hears negative crap about gays, will not be helpful. Also, it's possible he just hears that negativity on tv/movies.

Unless it's fear of losing friends or getting beaten at school, it should be possible to reverse all this just by showing your son some more positive images of gay life or meeting adults who are gay and happy and successful. Give it time too however. Many of us went into denial or freaked out when we realized. 11-12 is quite young.

17. suninthesky

Do you have any friends with LGBT children? You could get together/do activities with those families. Then he could have a bit of time where he could be himself.

Ideally, it'd be neat to find a LGBT youth group for him to go to and make friends, but that might backfire if he's not comfortable even bringing up the subject.

Or maybe be around LGBT people as part of a normal social situation and give him the option to come or not. He might not the first couple times, but then he might get more courage.

Maybe find an older gay person and covertly figure out how to get them some 1 on 1 time. (Family/friend BBQ and older gay person gets your son to go to the park and play catch or something? I'm probably not as creative as you are.) That way he could ask questions to said person on how they worked through it. Though if he's really in denial it might take a couple times before opening up.

18. North

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Overanalyzing is... bad. When i was younger, i was CONVINCED i was transgender, and then later on, I had a change of scenery and suddenly started to doubt myself. It's socially more acceptable to be cisgendered, it's easier on my family, etc., etc., etc.

But I'm transgender. And I had to accept that, eventually.

I know it's difficult--you're his mom, you're SUPPOSED to be in his business!--but i think what you're doing now is the best. You support him, and I'm sure he knows that he can be gay and you will still accept him. He'll figure it out eventually. Some people don't even know until they're way older than him.

Also, if he's bringing it up a lot in conversations, that means he's thinking about it a lot. I know the times when I was obsessing the most about my gender were the times when I talked to my friends about it the most. I talked about it so much that some of my friends STILL stop the conversation whenever I mention gender xD (which is really annoying, to be honest -.-)

I also agree with the others that getting more older gay figures in his life gives him more opportunity to see that he can still be happy being gay. It definitely helped me to meet genderqueer and gay friends of my parents.

19. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just want to say you are a great mother!