1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accidentally read my 13 y/o journal - she thinks she's gay...how do I talk with her?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by EyesWide, May 7, 2014.

1. EyesWide

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi!

I accidentally read my 13 y/o daughter's journal (I thought it was a writing project for school- honestly). It was in her desk drawer, but the drawer was fully opened-- a marble copybook with a colorful bookmark in it.

In it were 2 entries. The first she alluded to a little sexual experimenting and how terribly guilty and bad she felt over that (not sure if she meant boys or girls). And then the second entry talked about a girl she liked but also about a boy.... And she talked about how she wasn't sure at what point she was going to tell me that she is gay. That first entry had me worried, because she talked about other kids calling her a slut at her old school and she really seemed to struggle with that. We have a therapist that she can talk to... But I'd like to talk with her to at least let her know that I support her. The sexual experimentation is another concern, but more of how she is holding onto shame about it.

She really seems to be agonizing over this, and I really want to talk with her about these things and I want to open up a conversation with her without letting her know I saw her journal. I think it would be bad for her trust if she thought I was snooping. I really do try to respect her privacy, but I also check in with her and we talk about personal responsibility online, etc.

I also want to address any sexual activity that she may be experimenting with, and to clear away any shame she had by talking positively about self respect and intimacy - no matter your orientation.

I want her to know that I'm supportive and recognize that she's questioning her orientation right now. I have an aunt who is a lesbian, and by extension, her partner of over 20 years who I am close with. I have absolutely no problems at all if my daughter discovers she is bisexual or a lesbian. I want to let her know that she has my support- 100%. Her father (we are divorced) is a Catholic, and fairly conservative. I think it would be a struggle for her to get his support.... But that is down the road ...

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can initiate a discussion with her, while not embarrassing her, or having her not trust me, thinking I'm snooping?

2. Trentacles

Re: Accidentally read my 13 y/o journal - she thinks she's gay...how do I talk with h

Don't bring it up directly. Speaking from experience, no one wants to be forced out of the closet. Just make sure (without making it obvious that you know) that you're supportive of lgbt issues. Say you saw some 'it gets better' video on YouTube and how great it is that people are doing that.

Also you had to of known at some point it wasn't a school project and kept reading. It wasn't all accidental

3. EyesWide

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Re: Accidentally read my 13 y/o journal - she thinks she's gay...how do I talk with h

Thank you- that's a good idea....

You're right.... I guess what I was trying to say was that I wasn't snooping, looking for a diary.... But when I did open it, the second sentence into the first entry, it was clear that she is in a great deal of emotional turmoil and agonizing about things. I became worried and read on.... In truth, if there were more entries, I probably would have read them too because of my concern for her.

I encourage her to write -- I do that myself.... And I know how important it can be to just get your head clear by putting things on paper. For all I know, she has other books stashed around - I didn't look for anything else in her room. But 5 minutes of reading this journal had me very worried for her - she seems torn and unhappy.

She is strong and independent - yet still pretty young and I don't want to see her doubt herself in any way whatsoever....

4. suninthesky

Once the OP started reading she seemed to have more concern for her daughter. It was likely the concern that kept her reading.

Is there a chance you could talk to her therapist? It might help the therapist help her more if the therapist knows where you are coming from.

I agree with the idea of bringing up LGBT issues more. When I was that age, I couldn't even dream of coming out to my parents. I thought I'd just stay in the closet forever and grow old and alone and somehow be happy.

If maybe you could get the therapist to suggest going to a youth lgbt group- that might be good for her. There's a couple people in mine that are questioning, unsure, or prefer not to label themselves. It might give her a support system outside of school.

You seem like an awesome mom :slight_smile:

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

What great questions, and what a great thought process!

I think you're right not to bring up that you saw her journal and in fact, I'd have a ready excuse for bringing up sexuality aside from the journal, even if it's not really true.

For example, you can look to LGBTQ Nation, which is a news source that regularly has stuff that we really care about as a community. If it similarly energizes you, you can say "I read somewhere that...," it can let your daughter know that you're safe to come out to, because you're expressing support of LGBTQ people in general.

As agonizing as it is, I think the best move would be for you to be subtle in showing your support and let her make the judgment about when the best time to come out to you would be. It's frustrating and maybe even a little hurtful for you, because you know you're supportive. She doesn't, and she has to be very careful deciding who to trust. It's not a reflection on you. It's a reflection on how unsafe the whole society is around us. Things absolutely are getting better, but there are more landmines for us to negotiate than for straight, cisgender people.

Meanwhile, since you do know she's struggling, I would keep an extra eye on her mental health. If she's down or anxious, I'd pay special attention to that and try to walk that careful line between seeming too prying while at the same time interrogating those feelings a little more closely than you would normally.

The situation I am afraid of is, while I sincerely believe you should wait for her to show her hand, she might just feel hopelessly trapped. If her mental health really starts to deteriorate as sometimes does happen with queer youth, you might have to just have the conversation.

6. Aldrick

I agree with everyone else and your own initial instincts. You sound like a fantastic mother who greatly loves her daughter.

As a general rule, my advice is always avoiding dragging someone out of the closet before they are ready. Especially someone as young as your daughter. There are a lot of processes going on that she really needs to sort out for herself, before she's ready to accept herself as bisexual or a lesbian.

The only exception is what Pret pointed out. If you see some serious issues going on, and she's in real danger and struggling - then you might have to push the issue to get her the help she needs. That doesn't seem to be the case right now, though. It seems like she's just struggling as a normal teenager would with their sexuality, as well as normal teenage stuff at school.

The best thing you can do is find ways to show your support for LGBT issues, and make your home a welcoming and supportive environment. The more comfortable and safe your daughter feels at home and around you, the more likely she is to bring the issue up to you on her own. That's usually the best way to handle it - let her do it on her own time.

The issues surrounding sex, sexuality, and slut shaming - those can all be brought up spontaneously through normal conversations. She's thirteen, and even if she were 100% straight you'd still be having these conversations with her. There are countless opportunities to have these types of conversations that present themselves throughout the day. Asking about what is going on at school, and listening to the stories she tells you in particular could lead to interesting conversations. However, it could be just as mundane as watching a movie, TV show, or listening to the radio in the car. Simple questions about those things like: "What did you think of that?" "Do you know what that means?" Or even just you stating your opinion, "I don't like the way they treated her. It's awful the way people shame women for their sexuality. Have you ever seen someone do that before?"

Keeping your eyes open for opportunities allows you to show your support for LGBT issues as well.

It doesn't have to be a pre-planned awkward conversation with the whole, "Come here and sit down. We need to talk." It can be spontaneous and arise from just every day things. It will make it less awkward and less stilted. You are also more likely to have her be honest in those situations, as well.

7. Anonymouse7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I agree with being indirect about it, it doesn't really matter how you do it as long as you show that you are genuinely supportive of LGBT people, you could mention meeting a gay person at work and speak highly of them, providing you get your message clearly across then it shouldn't matter how you bring it up. My only word of advice is that you don't mention that you read her diary, regardless of whether it was an accident or not(and I believe it was an accident), most people wouldn't react too well, its important that if she does tell you anything, she chooses what she feels comfortable saying.

How conservative is the area you grow up in? Even if most people are fairly LGBT accepting there is almost always "internalised homophobia" which is where gay/lesbian people have feelings of guilt and shame due to absorbing more subtle comments e.g. gay being used as an insult, and over time these feeling build up, I certainly struggled with that, so it is worth considering that even if her family and friends are LGBT-friendly that feeling of shame may still exist regardless.

I agree with this, if she does seem just a bit down you can always just let her know they you love her and she can talk to you about anything she wants, just be very careful not to try and pull too much information out of her because it could just make her close up.

8. Manta

Something else you can do is watch what you say when talking about her future. One of the most difficult things for me (although I am older than your daughter) are familial expectations. While it is important to talk about the future, setting goals, having dreams,etc, things you might not even think about when you say them could be influencing her willingness to talk.

I feel heavy expectations whenever my mom says things like "you'll want to settle down some day and have kids of your own" or "just wait until your kids do this to you!" And often when things like that come up I'm 'testing the water.'

While it is important to show support for the LGBTQ community, I think it is equally important to withhold lifestyle expectations. Otherwise, she may worry about double standards. The examples I gave were fairly obvious, but other pressures can include emphasis on gender roles (giving preference to a dress over a pantsuit for middle school graduation), which for the fretful mind may be extrapolated to include marriage or lifestyle.

This was very wordy, and I'm not entirely sure I articulated what I feel correctly, but I wonder if this is something helpful?

9. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well, if you truly don't want her thinking you stumbled upon her diary, I think any unprovoked mentioning of LGBT issues and your support over it will give her a good hint... perhaps I overestimate the ability of 13 yo's, but I can imagine myself picking up on such an unsolicited comment as likely proof of their discovering this (in fact, I know that would have been the case with me, because I experienced it).

Random thought, but it is possible she wanted you to find it, and just didn't know how to bring it up - I've definitely done that before (not saying this is the case, but just a thought). Barring directly bringing something up, though, if you get any chance or if in particular you here her bring an LGBT issue up, just give as supportive and non-judgmental answer as possible; especially if it feels like she's testing you for how you might respond to her being gay/bi (again, something I did as a teen).

Really, though, I just want to commend you on seeming like an entirely awesome mother. I have no worries whatsoever in your handling of this - and frankly I'd be apt to trust your intuition with regards to the situation. Truly, the number of awesome parents that come on here to EC amazes me - the children of the 2000s cohort are in good hands! :slight_smile:

#9 Browncoat, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  10. EyesWide

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Thank you all for your awesome insight and words of encouragement! This is going to be a long post, but I have had a profound amount of enlightement over these 24 hours, and I'm putting all this down for posterity, in the hopes that any of this will help someone else. :slight_smile:

Knowing my daughter the way I do, I think the right way for me to go about this is to identify ways to initiate natural conversations, so she won't get suspicous, like "why is mom talking about gay issues all of a sudden when we never really talked about that before..." For 13, she is wise beyond her years, and one smart kid (not bragging - lol... since she was an infant, it's been my blessing and my curse with how smart she is).

Last night, a PERFECT opportunity landed in my lap and I took advantage of the situation:
    We were watching a show she likes on MTV called "Catfish". If you don't know what it's about, it's a series based on a movie/documentary that a guy did about his experience with meeting a woman online, falling in love with her and them she turned out to not be who she said she was once they met in real life (someone elses photos, etc.).

Anyway, one of the episodes in last night's marathon was about an 18 y/o lesbian ("Aaliyah") who had been talking online and texting with a woman ("Alicia") but in nearly a year, they had never met in person, even though they only lived several miles apart. As the episode unfolded, my daughter and I theorized what the deal could be and why Alicia was avoiding meeting up with Aaliyah in "real life".... She guessed that maybe Alicia was physically a man - or perhaps a bisexual when it was revealed that Alicia had a boyfriend for over a year and a half now. I expressed to my daughter that, in my opinion, being bisexual wouldn't give you the excuse to be in a relationship with both a man and woman at the same time if each person thinks they are the only one in your life. The way I see it, that's cheating. I was hoping to express to her that I feel that ethics and values don't "go out the window" based on your sexual orientation - it's not simply about the sex, it's about the mutual respect of a committed relationship.

It turned out that Alicia wasn't a lesbian after all and she had been using Aaliyah for money and gifts over the course of their friendhsip/relationship. I focused my discussion with my daughter in a way that the episode had really little to do with the fact that they were two women, but that one person was dishonest with the other person about the relationship.

I didn't just grandstand ... I let my daughter talk and express her opinions. At one point in the episode, Alicia told Aaliyah that the reason they couldn't meet was becuase Alicia wasn't out yet and so they couldn't be seen in public together. Both my daughter and I blew holes in that argument - she threw ideas out there, that you can be in public together without crawling over each other, and I put "date" ideas out there that were good solutions (I thought) that had nothing to do about hiding being gay, but about getting to know each other...date ideas that could be used by any orientation, and wouldn't be a "red flag" to public eyes if you were seen in the company of someone the same gender.

I also managed to slip into the conversation (please dont yell if this was bad ... I thought it was a good point to illustrate) that gay girls must have a bit of an easier time being together if they aren't out yet than gay guys, because the way that society (unfairly) turns a somewhat blind eye to girls who are "besties" and hold hands, etc. than the scrutiny that guys must go through. I tried to reinforce that I acknowledge the reality that "society" can be unfair and judge even though it has no business to, that she should consider, as a girl, maybe she won't be under such scrutiny as she thinks, and that I have compassion and sympathy for people in that difficult situation. The long and short of it is that I didn't preach, I let her express herself, and we had a great organic conversation from which I really hope she got some level of reassurance.

I have also thought of another great opportunity that I can use is the topic of gay marriage. I am very much a proponent of gay marriage. As I said in my original post, I have an Aunt who is a lesbian and has been with her partner for over 20 year who I also call my Aunt.

As luck would have it, in a week and a half, I am hosting a family get together, and they will both be there. I'm not planning on going full tilt and ask them about gay marriage in front of my daughter, but I think I will mention to her, beforehand (again naturally) about Aunt P. being my mom's sister and Aunt A. is her partner. In case she didn't know who they were (we see them a few times a year at family barbecues and whatnot, but not often enough for it to be obvious to my daughter). And to this point, she sees that my Aunt's partner is very much a part of our family and that I am no different with them than I am with any of my other relatives.

I should note that there is a HUGE rift in my family when it comes to those things and there are members of my family who I don't associate with anymore due to their very vocal opinions on homesexuality and race. Unfortunately, I no longer talk to my mother and several brothers because of this. They live in another part of the country, luckily. Another brother (and his awesome wife) however, is not like that and our world view is similar... I choose to be part of a loving family and distance myself (and my children) from the people in my family who I believe have destructive opinions - and no problem sharing them with whoever will listen.

Also, an idea that came to me - regarding how I can express my support to my daughter also revolves around the topic of gay marriage. That topic comes up on the news and in media often enough that I shouldn't have any problem bringing this up naturally, too. I mentioned in my first post that I am divorced from my daughter's father, but I married again a while ago, and my husband is Black (I am White). Now stay with me here, people - lol) I'm not trying to draw a parallel between interracial relationships and LGBT relationships, but there is a broad stroke similarity that I can speak to -- reminding her that less than 50 years ago, there were places in the U.S. where they would have refused to marry my husband and I. And further back than that, there was a time in our country's history when his life and mine would have possibly been in danger for being together. We live in a somewhat diverse and progressive area, but there are towns not far from our home that we know to just avoid. We rarely experience overt negative reactions, but it has happened before and so we just don't go to places to invite that kind of ignorance. My daughter loves her stepfather (he has no children of his own) and he loves and dotes on her (and my other two teenage sons) as if they were his own. So I think that will help her to realize that while I may not have the exact same life experience as her, I can certainly understand where issues of unjust restrictions, limitations, and discrimination based on who you love are utter horse$*** and on a fundamental level, will be able to empathize with her and be supportive of her.

OK - so I feel 100% better about how to go about expressing my support for her as far as sexual orientaion goes. Also, someone asked about where we live and attitudes towards homosexuality... luckily, I live in a close suburb of Philadelphia, which is known for (and openly proud of) their support for gay rights and LGBTQ issues. I did a little research last night, and we have an awesome amount of resources for gay youth fairly close by in Philly, so when that time comes, we have an extended supportive community that I can help her to plug into. I am not really into any traditional organized religion, but we do participate in services and functions of a Uniteraian Universalist Fellowship that we are lucky to have only a few miles from our house, which is very welcoming to all people - regardless of creed, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, etc. I can drop the hint to her that I think it's awesome that the UUA openly welcomes and encourages gays to participate in their fellowship (if I said "LGBTQ" instead of just "gays" she would know something sounded fishy and I was being official and preachy lol).

I think the other task at hand with getting rid of her self esteem and shame issues while instilling a sense of how to handle hormones, intimacy, and self respect ... that's something I would have to be addressing anyway at this point with a teenage daughter. Kinda like part 2 of the "Sex Talk" ... I was doing some research on that and I have some ideas on how to defuse that. I agree that I will have to pay close attention to her mood and mental health through all of this. Curiousity and experimentaion isn't abnormal at this point -- I need to let her know that, but I have to reinforce the value of intimacy and what that means - and understanding the self respect involved with making the decision to share yourself with someone in that way. All while not embarrassing her or putting her on the spot... yikes - this is gonna be a bumpy ride - lol...

This time yesterday, I was pretty anxious - wanting to do something to help her but not sure what that should be, and now my head is really clear - I feel empowered with a path and direction. Thank you so much everyone!

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Good god I wish I had a mom like you, reading what you said above. My mom has figured out that I'm gay, though she knows better than to try to ask me about it, and while she says she supports gay marriage, she says some very disapproving things and has an attitude of "I don't like this whole 'gay' thing" towards her three LGBT siblings.

12. EyesWide

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Wow- that was a NOVEL!! Lol...

To the poster who brought up talking about future expectations... I'm so with you ... Not talking about Dream Wedding Day stuff - or those traditional/societal rites of passage. I personally, am not somebody who holds those kind of experiences on a pedestal, myself. I never really had much interest in Proms (never bothered with any of mine). I had a small understated wedding.... And I can't say that I've ever flat out said anything about meeting a guy, getting married, and having babies - lol... I probably wanted to keep my head in the sand haha... Just kidding... But really, our talks are about as far in the future as what she wants to do for her career - what major in college might be good for that etc.

But that's a very good point to make - not to stereotype her into any future or cultural 'milestones' ... I don't think anyone wants that additional pressure on them, feeling like they will let others down if not living your life according to another's expectations.

13. Clay

I think you're handling the situation fantastically.

Ultimately your daughter will remember everything you say regarding LGBT issues. If you read around on this forum you'll notice that people remember comments their family members have made from years ago for example.

The important thing is that, if you have a good relationship, she will come to you eventually. If you've shown your support, and shown that she can come and talk to you about anything she wants, that's all you need to do really.

Have to ask though, are you going to tell your aunts? I'm sure they'd be able to give you some great advice.

14. EyesWide

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

@Pluvia

Thanks for your feedback! :slight_smile:

I am strongly considering approaching my aunt's partner to get her take on it. I love my aunt who is my mom's sister, but she can be a bit of a whackadoo at times and probably wouldn't keep it confidential lol...

Even though my aunt's partner is of the generation where she could be my daughter's grandmother, I implicitly trust her opinion and advice - I have to believe that, while times have changed, there are some fundamental experiences that would totally bridge the generation gap.

15. Aldrick

I wish I could give you a big hug, EyesWide. (*hug*)

You handled everything fantastically well. It's like I said - life is filled with opportunities to have these types of conversations. Organic conversations are much easier than the standard 'come here, sit down, we need to talk' conversations in my experience. That's way more tension and build up than is necessary, and has a tendency to leave everyone a bit more guarded. So, you're doing very well.

Just keep things up, and eventually - sooner rather than later - your daughter is going to open up to you. Part of the reason she's probably being closed about things is that she's still trying to figure stuff out for herself. So, it's important to give her that space to do it on her own, and then let her talk once she's ready.

16. Re: Accidentally read my 13 y/o journal - she thinks she's gay...how do I talk with h

Just want to say you're approaching this brilliantly. Give yourself a gold star! Don't be too in-your-face, but keep on doing what you're doing.

One of the best things to do is to try to get used to standing up for LGBT issues / against discrimination in your every day life. It's not just about doing it in front of your daughter - When someone makes some stereotype joke about gays or lesbians, or talks behind the back of an openly gay/lesbian collegue/friend etc - try to learn not to keep quiet. It'll give you the confidence to help your daughter stand up for herself in the same way.

*be the woman you want your daughter to become*

edit - oh, and please don't read her diary again. However tempting it is :slight_smile:

#16 uniqueusername3, May 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2014
  17. Aldrick

That's really good advice right there. The best way to teach children values is to model good values.

18. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Oh my, I must of course say that I love my mother, but I must admit I am jealous. I am even more so unconcerned than I was before, and there was nearly none at that point! :slight_smile:

If I didn't have a terrible time of making them awkward, I'd second Aldrick's hug! Lol, best wishes to you.

19. Anonymouse7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

If only all parents were like you! I don't think that you could have handled talking to your daughter about it any better, if it was organic and she was contributing then you couldn't ask for more.

It's good to hear that your local area is supportive as well, that will make a big difference, especially if it means that her friends will be more accepting should she decide to tell them. On the subject of your aunts, is she particularly close with them? If she is then arranging for her to spend some time with them at the family gathering, even if it is just helping them unpack or something, just so she can spend some time with them and it might just make her feel more comfortable if she can see that they have a good relationship and are just like normal people, coming on EC definitely did that for me.

You seem like a very understanding and loving mother so I'm sure that your daughter is in good hands, just stay being supportive and subtle, it might be best to leave talking about it with her for a few days unless it starts spontaneously so she won't get suspicious, you will probably find that if she wants to talk about it more with you she will find a way to bring it up.

I agree with talking to your aunts about it, but it might be best to be ambiguous about it and not say which of your children you are talking about just to help preserve her privacy.

20. Manta

EyesWide you really are doing an awesome job of this! Its good to know she hasn't been pressured on gendered milestones, and I think helping her to foster a relationship with her aunts is a great idea.

A quick question, sorry if you've already written this... How are her brothers on LGBT issues? It sounds like you're doing a great job with support, but how about the rest of your family? Do they show support as well, talk about those milestones, or use any slurs? Talking with one of your sons about LGBT issues in front of your daughter is also a way you could show your support.

If she wonders about your support or shifts in behavior (you said she was smart so she might pick up on subtle shifts, and she's probably looking for them at this point as well) I think you could site the approaching family gathering and support of her lesbian aunts as the cause.