1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents: please don't assume sexual orientation

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by PatrickUK, May 17, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I could give one piece of advice to a new parent it would be to never assume your son or daughter will grow up heterosexual. If you can take a neutral position throughout their childhood and avoid any suggestion they should be (or you expect them to be) straight, it will make a big difference if they eventually realise they are gay or bi. You'll save them a great deal of emotional torment when it finally comes to telling you.

Coming out to parents is one of the hardest things a child will ever have to do and it's made all the more difficult if the parent has raised expectations during childhood of heterosexual orientation. I certainly found that and reading many comments on this forum, others feel the same.

If you are reading this as a parent, please try to understand.

2. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. Being a parent myself, I think one of the most important aspects of being a good parent is making your children feel that they can comfortably come to you about anything and you will be informative, understanding and supportive on the issue.

To that end, I think a good parent should also keep themselves well educated on such issues so they can offer sound advice and support their children when they come to you.

That's at least what I try to do anyway...

Happy days :slight_smile:

3. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    +1
    I totally agree! Even non-homophobic parents do that, because hetero relationships are what they're used to seeing in everyday life...

4. Sadly, I feel it is inevitable the parents make certain assumptions about their kids. The vast majority of parents will always be straight and try to pass on their *truth* about life, what has bought them happiness etc. I think straight parents will *always* struggle to come to terms with the fact the their children are not like them. Best we can do as a society is to promote a solid vision of what a normal, Happy, healthy gay relationship looks like, so lgbt kids have role models to help them out the closet quicker & when they do come out their parents dreams aren't shattered, only modified.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's hard not to make that assumption. Several years ago, when Grayson Chance made a viral hit out of his rendition of Lady Gaga's 'paparazzi', Ellen had him on her show.

Now I don't know if Grayson is straight or gay, but he certainly tripped a lot of people's gaydar, including mine. Yet Ellen asked him several questions about girlfriends. His responses seemed a bit awkward, further making me wonder if he was gay or questioning.

So if one of the most visible lesbians put someone on the spot on national tv, I think it's an indicator that a lot of people may just naturally assume 'straight unless otherwise determined'. I agree this makes life more difficult.

On the other hand, Jack Andraka was only 15 when he hit national prominence with his discovery of a sensitive test for pancreatic cancer... And he was out, proud, and correcting heads of state and others who assumed he was straight. So I think as we see more visible young people who are gay and owning it, it will make it easier both for kids to come out and for parents and others to consider that their kids might be gay.

6. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Chip makes some very important points!

7. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can fully validate what Linco has said with first-hand experience.

I have an amazing mum. All throughout my growing up, whenever relationships, sexuality or LGBT topics came up, she was ALWAYS of a completely neutral stance. She always ensured me that whatever I chose to do with my life was ok and that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being LGBT.

I didn't really take notice or think about these things until recently, when I realised I wasn't straight. And I can say now that remembering her accepting stance put my mind at ease and saved me a LOT of emotional trauma that other teenagers have to deal with.

I know my mother will accept me; I think I would have probably gone down a very dark and lonely path without that knowledge.

Please show your children that you will love them for who they are.

8. Minnie

Linco, you are my new favourite person.

9. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    YES! I second everything Linco typed out above. Realizing that I was gay was by far the most painful event in my life, and coming out and telling others that you are gay is one of the most awkward and uncomfortable experiences that, frankly, no one should ever have to go through.

Parents, please, I know it might be a hard concept to wrap your head around, but you will save your children from years of pain and suffering.

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Or wait and see which gender your child likes too can come in handy

11. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think even more important besides assuming, is when and if your child comes out as gay DON'T tell them It's a phase or question them.

12. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Omg, love you for posting this!

13. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can say from experience that this makes a huge difference.
    Growing up, my father would always say, "Someday you will bring home a girlfriend, or boyfriend, and we'll have dinner together."

Knowing from the time I was five-years old that my parents were accepting and open to the idea of me being homosexual really made coming out to them easy. It was so easy.

14. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh man I'd kill for my parents to say something like that. You're a lucky guy. :slight_smile:

15. literalmerida

I was expected to be straight, I'm sure, because they were pretty disappointed with me being... Well.... Not...

I hate discussing my sexuality with my parents because they always always ALWAYS talk about how its a phase. They never trust me when I say, "No I'm pretty sure I would be in a relationship with anyone, regardless of gender."

16. IcelandLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree... And if there is one thing I entirely ABHOR is when my mother or father say "When you are married..." or "Your wife and kids..."

~.•

17. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ugh, absolutely. It seems like my mom's favorite thing to say to me is "When are you going to get a wife?" Drives me absolutely insane.

18. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I guess a lot of people assume that their kids will be straight because, that's what the majority of people are. I think, at least to some people, the idea that their kid may be LGBT doesn't even occur to them until their kid tells them. At least, that happens where I live. The thought doesn't even enter most parents' heads as a serious possibility.

But I think parents being openly accepting of the LGBT community does make a big difference to someone coming out and all parents obviously should be.

19. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I think as kids who later discover they are gay, also think, like their parents, that they will be straight. Kids usually grow up being only exposed to heterosexual couplings. I was totally surprised when I realized I had a crush on a girl.

20. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree with this! Actually, the main reason I came out to my mom was because I was sick of her assuming I like guys. "Someday, you'll have a husband..." "You have a crush? Who is he?" "Don't you think he's cute?" "You like him, don't you!? You're always around him!" :confused: Seriously, if my mom hadn't been like I wouldn't've been so worried about her reaction... If/when I have kids, I'm definitely going to avoid saying anything like that. Straight isn't the 'default' sexuality, people!