1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight transgender husband?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Silent Soul, May 26, 2014.

1. Silent Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Christian Transgender Husband

Hi all

I am new here and recently found out that my Husband had an Identity disorder and hates being a man.. He told me before we were married that he felt like this as a child but later on in his 30's it went away.. Well 2 weeks ago he dropped what felt like an atomic bomb and told me that for the last 9 months he has wanted to become a woman and has even ordered hormone tablets..

He thought I would run as we are a Christian family, we have children and well I married a man. To be honest I thought that I would run too, but I have decided to stay. I have decided to stay because the first time in his life he has had someone listen to him, love him for who he is and support him.. He lives outwardly as a man but plans to become a woman and I am not sure how that will work? But I do know that I love him with every heartbeat and I won't leave him..

Just wondering if any other women have stayed, how did you handle the transition, how did the kids handle the transition.. Also for Christian couples, how did you handle things in your heart and with God??

Thank you all for reading and listening to my rambles :slight_smile:

2. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Re: Christian Transgender Husband

Just wanted to say that you are an amazing, loving woman and that I sincerely wish that more wives could be this accepting of their wives' trans identities. My ex-wife and I terminated our marriage a year ago (for reasons completely unrelated to my gender identity--I was in the closet) and I know for certain that she never would have been this sympathetic and accepting had I outed myself to her. Someone somewhere should be proud to have such an incredibly caring and selfless woman for a daughter. :eusa_clap

3. Silent Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Thank you so much for your kind words..

I know that my husband loves me very much and if anything this has shown me how much I love him!! Even writing this my heart could burst because I just want to be there for him and show him that he is loved no matter what!

4. Kate Lee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

I don't have any personal experience to relate but I think you might find this blog interesting to read.

Permission to Live

It's written by the wife of a transgender husband and it describes their journey towards transition and how it has affected their marriage and their faith. I believe the Brave New Life posts are mostly about this.

I hope it may be a good resource for you.

5. White Knight

Welcome to the EC, Soul.

You are in a delicate situation... at least for me so I will avoid giving advice.

I will ask some questions tho. To me it is best way to lead someone to solutions, not by your truth but by their own reasoning by make them question the situation from different point of view.

You are wonderful person for thinking about your husband and family despite being in a tough spot. You are so right your hubby will need someone to lean on to while coming out. Your kids will need something/someone solid while accepting/rejecting their father to hold on to.

What about you? What about Silent Soul?

Are you ready to sacrifice your future for a man who could not be able to turn your love as you wanted/dreamed in the future?

What's your husband's plan for future? Where he puts you in those plans?

Will you be able to love a woman? At least a man in woman's body?

Do you really think you should stay committed to support him? There is no way for you to stay in his life while building your own future?

I hope I didn't offend you. I understand you love your husband but what I am trying to say is sometimes love just ain't enough...

Hope you can find your way. Hugs.

6. Butterfly72

Hi

My first husband whom I'm split from 14 years back came out as transgender last year. The reason we split had nothing to do with this as this was many years later. We have two kids together. Ok, we are not together but we are now friends. It was a shock to me and his sons when he came out as gay and then two months later transgender. But the boys have taken it well they are 18 and 15. It did take our 15 year old a few months to want to see his dad as a women but he is coming to terms with it now and has spent a few days with (her). A lot of family and friends don't accept it at all but well (she) is happy now in life and really living the life that she wants now. She has been on hormone therapy for a good few months now and is waiting for the pre-op assessment and then will go for the op when she can. Like White Knight has asked, I too am wondering where you fit in your husbands future plans? What about you? Its great that you are there for your husband that is fantastic for you both and also for your kids. I am here if you would like to talk more. xx

7. Silent Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The answer is I am not sure about me?

My husband loves me with all of his heart and wants to be with me forever. He told me that he could never even imagine leaving me and understands that I could not have a sexual relationship with a woman..

I guess it would mean that we live a celibate lifestyle? My heart belongs to him, and my heart to his, and as silly as it sounds neither of us could imagine giving it to someone else..

The whole situation is really heartbreaking for me as since my husband spoke to me about this 3 weeks ago I see a shadow of the man who I married. I ponder how we will live, the strong cuddles I will miss, the holding hands, the kisses, all those that I have taken for granted will be taken from me and it breaks my heart..

In all of this though the pain of not having him there, to just leave him, that hurts more than words could ever describe..

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You sound like you are conflicted with the morals of sexual relations more than accepting your husband's gender.

You even said you both love each other.

Start with that. Love is strong and it will lead you on the right path whatever that may be.

9. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC.

You said that you love you husband, as said earlier start with that. You sound like you are wrestling with the moral and religious convictions of this, I am guessing that your husband might be as well. There is the verse Genesis 1:27
    If you believe this verse to be true, then God created your husband this way, and there is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with it. This is not some "religious test" though depending on how religious your area is, some might say that. But you love your husband and you want to stay with them, and that is what counts.

If you want to live a life a celibacy you can, but do not feel like you have to. It is your guys choice to live a life of celibacy or not. You can still cuddle and kiss and do everything that you did before, it is just going to take some getting used to. Don't let anyone tell you that it is wrong or sinful. It is your life, how on Earth would they know what is going on in guys head and heart. In addition, it is still possible to do all of this and remain Christians, I would recommend attending an Open and Affirming Church though. You can get a lot of great information about them at Gaychurch.org. I included the link.

This can be a difficult life for both of you. I am dating someone who is trans. He is Female to Male, and I love him, but at times it is difficult, especially with how people view it, but we can get past that, and so can you. Your husband needs your support right now, and you your husbands.

If you want to, you can tell your husband about this site, and you can ask the staff to ride any posts that you made about your husband if you do not want your husband to see them.

Also know that if you need to talk we are here for you. There are multiple different threads and forums that can be helpful for you two, and know that we are here for you both. In addition, if you some specific questions, about your husbands transitions, forum rules, policies and such, or any question for that manner, but do not feel comfortable posting so everyone here can see them, you can post in the Ask The Staff area, and then only you can the staff members can see what is posted there, and only in your specific thread.

10. Silent Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you so much everyone for your kind words.. How we would live sexually is just one of the things I am having to go through in my mind. Not so much because I am a Christian but because I am not attracted that way to women, I like men! In saying that I will never leave my husband even when he transitions because I love him for his heart, that never changes.. I just won't be attracted sexually to him?

We spoke to one of the Pastors at our church and he said even though he has not experienced anyone with a gender identity disorder, he is there to support us as a family and love us and be there to talk to.. That meant a lot to the both of us!

Last night was really difficult as we sat on the lounge discussing things I looked at him and just saw a man, the man I married and it pained my heart to know that the man may be gone one day.. I know this is a long journey and I am really glad that I found this place xoxo

11. Silent Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Thank you Kate for the link, it is amazing :slight_smile:

12. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    about the only advise that i can give is Jesus never denounced same sex marriage. He gave us a new covenant "Love each other as I have Loved You" some say this is the eleventh Commandment. you love your husband who wants to be your wife who loves you, Love is Love. when the centurion came to Jesus and asked for Him to heal the centurion's slave boy ( who we can infer was his congenital partner) Jesus only said bring me to him. He did not condemn when he was presented with same sex love. Can we do any less with those we truly love?

13. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey there silent soul.

As you're already aware, this is going to be a long journey for the both of you. So it's probably best to take everything one step at a time, and handle it openly as it comes.

It's wonderful that you're both so in love! I hope that you two will continue to support each other throughout your husband's transition from male to female, in the best ways that you can. And I do mean the both of you - while your husband is going to be going through a lot with her transition, and will need a lot of love and support, you'll need just as much love and support as she does, so make sure not to neglect yourself! Some couples do eventually find that it's better to part ways even if they are in love, and some stay together. Whatever paths you two take, I wish you all the best. You seem to have a wonderful partnership. :slight_smile:

It's normal that you feel some sadness when you consider the changes that your husband is going to go through. Most of these changes will be gradual.

Let's talk more about your kids. How old are they? Have you thought about how you're going to tell them? I'm assuming that as a Christian family, you've been bringing your kids up with morals that include tolerance and kindness and respect. It might be good to reaffirm these.

14. Silent Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi Clockwork..

We have a 13yo and a 2yo..

With our teen I am going to explain that her Dad has been trapped in mans body but on the inside he has always felt that he is a woman. I will tell her that we love her Dad very much and it will be a difficult time for all of us but it is better to support each other than to leave..

I am sure that it will bring up a whole heap of feelings and confusion for her and I guess we will take it a day at a time? We have brought her up to love people no matter their sexuality so hopefully when it is time to talk she remembers this..

Thank you for thinking of me, I find it difficult to stop and do that.. Right now I feel as though I have to be strong for everyone but inside I am broken.. I guess as my husband adjusts to being out we can then support each other?

15. White Knight

I don't know what to say Soul. I just admire your dedication to your family.

Your 13yo might ask the hardest question... "If he always felt as woman inside why did he married with you?"... Children more addicted to logic than us grown ups. We learn to accept things as they are but they need to put things on solid ground before accepting them.

We are here to listen and share your problems you know... assuming with your religious questions you can't talk it freely with your real life friends.

May God give you strength to face what coming to your way.

16. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

just on this last paragraph, you NEED to think of YOU and take care of YOURSELF this is not selfishness it is necessary for you, your kids and your spouse. i also feel that you need to have a serious talk with your spouse to the effect that while you are doing everything to support this transition you need support too and it is important that they support you too. i did the "im a rock" thing and it ended badly, for me for her and for the family (note that this was not related to LGBT issues) but the effect was the same or similar.

17. justjade

Love is a powerful thing. I don't have any experience from the non-trans side of things, but I'm a transgender guy married to a straight man. I came out to him, and I was so afraid he'd leave me. He's only attracted to women, so being married to a man, I thought, would be hard for him. It was rough for a while, but eventually, things got easier. I'm glad you two are so in love. I will give you some advice my husband gave me though: "Sometimes you have to figure out what you can live with and what you can't." I think you and your spouse need to talk very seriously and openly about this.

18. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    This is exactly the type of thinking that forces people to 'hide' their true selves from those they love.

The 'bold/strikeout sentences are entirely unnecessary, hurtful, and even cruel things to say to anyone struggling with sexuality or gender issues or to those close to said people who are trying to understand their place in all of that.

19. White Knight

Sorry you found those offensive Adia. However I am not directing those words to person who is questioning their sexuality... they can do whatever they want and on their own terms...

I was trying to lead Soul to think questions which I thought she was avoiding. Self sacrifice/Martyr Mary situation is forced on us, carved in our brains as a noble thing to do, preferable choice if you want to be good wife/boy/christian or whatnot.

Real life doesn't work like that. Bad decisions lead to regret. Regret leads to frustration. Frustration leads to depression which results in broken people.

20. Silent Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I can see where you are coming from White Knight..

Honestly my staying has nothing to do with being the good wife, feeling like a martyr or being a good Christian.. It may come across as that but it is far from why I stay.

I stay because I love my husband very much and want to be there for him.. Because of your advice I was able to talk to him last night about my needs and feeling as well and told him that there will have to come a place where we support each other through this (At this point in time he is a bit fragile) But he totally agreed and your advice proved valuable xoxo