1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Married brother has just come out

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by BlueElephant, Jun 2, 2014.

1. BlueElephant

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My brother, who was happily married with four adult children, has come out to his wife. After much discussion and heartache, she has decided to leave him. He is devastated and sees no future. I'm supporting him as best I can, but I'm thousands of miles away in another country. How can I help him see that there is a future for him?

2. HU18LT14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would personally recommend just being there for him. From what I've read, I can see that he is emotionally sensitive right now and may potentially be worried about anyone else leaving him at this fragile state in his life. I wish the two of you the best.

3. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Maybe surprise visit him. He is so fragile right now. He needs love and support best from blood but kinship will also do.

4. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, for starters, you might want to point him here? The Later in Life section is filled with people who either have come out to their spouses, or are trying to determine the best way to do it. We've experienced spouses in denial, or angry, or hurt, or even accepting. There's an extremely supportive bunch of people here in a vast range of ages, who have a wide range of experiences to share and learn from.

Other than that, be there for him, keep in touch and let him talk. The fact that you're here speaks volumes about how much you care for him, and that's absolutely wonderful. You're doing a great job for him so far.

5. C P

C P

It's great that you are supporting him and I think Claudette's suggestion is a pretty good one. Although it's something you obviously can't just do at the spur of the moment, maybe you can plan a (surprise) visit to him at some point. That would likely speak for itself and show him that he definitely has someone there who isn't leaving his side.

6. Richie.

I agree with choirboy point him the later in life section.

Tell him this part of his life is only temporary and if will be better in the future, and tell him gay or straight you love him and will never stop regardless. That's all you can do, actions speak louder than words too :wink:

7. Clay

I agree that you should point him here, to the Later in Life section. He'll be able to get support and advice from others going through the same things as him.

8. BlueElephant

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you all - HU18LT13, Choirboy, Claudette, CP, Richie8109, Pluvia - so much for your supportive and kind words. I've spent hours on the phone with him, letting him cry when he needed to, sympathizing, supporting, and helping him know that there is a future, and that I do and will always love him. His kids have been amazing and totally accepting of all he has told them. I'm so proud of them, and of him for raising them in such a way.
    This week he is feeling much stronger and sees the tiny spark of light at the end of the tunnel.
    I will definitely point him in the direction of the Later in Life section.
    Thank you all again. Love you.