1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobe Grampa

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Old gramps, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Old gramps

I’m a homophobe. I mean I’m on record as saying gays are sick and twisted people. I even posted on a few sites how evil homosexuality was. No point in me giving details, you get the picture. And then something happened ……..

….. my oldest granddaughter, who just graduated from high school yesterday, came out to my wife that she was gay and has had a girlfriend for several months. I was shocked when my wife told me. I mean my granddaughter has had boyfriends for a couple of years, I’d met a couple of them. This girl has been a gymnast and cheerleader since the 8th grade and has a cheerleading scholarship. To say the least I was shocked. She told my wife she was afraid to tell me because she know my feelings about homosexuality.

Then something else happened. I didn’t care that she was gay. It just wasn’t important. I mean this is my granddaughter. Her and her sister are the light of my life. All I care about is their happiness and success in life. So if she’s gay and comfortable with it, then so am I.

I called her this afternoon and told her my feelings. She cried and wants us to meet her girlfriend; and I’m cool with that.

So, maybe I’m not such a homophobe after all. I’m probably not ready to march in a gay pride parade, but I won’t be making any more homophobic remarks.

2. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think once you found out that someone you love is gay, you found the error of your ways
    Because in the end, we're all just people.

3. Clay

That's great to hear.

People are just people at the end of the day. They can't help who they love.

4. Melanie

Melanie Guest

This made MY day. I cant even imagine how she feels.

Love wins :slight_smile:

5. Silver Sparrow

That's great! Good for you, but I definitely understand how your granddaughter feels, and you definitely need to be careful.

6. Old gramps

Everything is cool. Now I'm worried she will tell me she's a Democrat. :tantrum: Not sure my heart can could take it. We're going with her tomorrow to buy her a new iPhone as her graduation present.

7. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad you were able to accept your granddaughter. Sometimes all it takes is realizing that gay people are no different than the people you love and interact with on a daily basis. Congrats on being such an awesome grandpa! :thumbsup:

8. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It just shows that you love your granddaughter so much that you can accept her no matter how she turns out

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Hey, I'm glad you came around and accepted her :slight_smile: Proof people can change

10. Vaettfang

That is amazing. :grin:

11. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's amazing :slight_smile: and I didn't know senior citizens how to navigate the internet

12. JohnB

Past is in the past. I am only glad you love your grand daughter. Congrats to her. :slight_smile:

13. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This made me so very happy to read :') well done to her for coming out, and to you for accepting her and loving her for who she is. THAT is what real family is. This is truly amazing.

14. Old gramps

Why do I need to be careful? I'm new at this. Is there something I need to be watchful for? I mean I'd never ask her about her sex life whether she was gay or not. And I certainly don't intend on making her feel bad.

So, I'm interested. Are there taboo discussions?

15. Silver Sparrow

I just meant that she most likely knows about your past views on homosexuality, so you should realize that she is probably still nervous about your views, even though she is out to you. Thus, you should be careful not to say anything that could seem homophobic.

Taboo discussions- I'd say just let her bring up the conversations she wants to have.

16. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

This gives me hope.

17. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just goes to show that a lot of people are homophobic because they just don't know anyone who is openly gay. Once you realize that we are people first, and often people you know and love, it can be a lot easier to be accepting. Good job, Gramps. She is a lucky person to have your acceptance and understanding, and YOU are a lucky man to have hers. (And coming out doesn't instantly turn you into a Democrat either, so you have hope!)

18. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

This is so beautiful, it honestly brought tears to my eyes. I'm so happy that you can accept her, there are so many people who wouldn't. I know that your new to being someone who's open about gay people, so I'll give some advice. First, remember that gay people are essentially just like anyone else, yourself included. They want the same things out of life that anyone else has, and that's the only reason why we hold protests and things like that. And not all of the things we want to change are about marriage, in the state I live in it's legal to fire someone for the sole reason that they are gay, in fact there are still places in the world where they kill gay people. The second thing is that before you say something about gay people, think to yourself "Would I want this said about people of my sexuality? Would it sounds silly if someone said the same thing, but about straight people?" If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then what you were about to say would have been seen as homophobic. And the last thing you should do is familiarize yourself with the correct terminology to use. There are terms that might not sound offensive to you that sound very offensive to gay or trans people. The correct terms to use for the most common LGBT sexualities would be gay, bisexual, or lesbian. Avoid referring to straight as normal, LGBT people want to be accepted as normal too. Another thing is that there are some people out there who are transgendered. This means that they don't consider themselves to be members of their original sex, but a different gender. and with them you just want to remember to be respectful too. If they ask you to use he/him/her to refer to them as, that means that's what you should call them.

This might seem like a lot to keep track of, but you'll get the hang of it. I think that if you stuck around in our forum a little longer, you will start to get a sense of what terms we refer to ourselves by, and you'll see that we're not really so different after all. I will warn you that a good amount of us aren't republicans, but there are definitely still republicans on the forums.

19. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

I'm so happy to hear that. Love conquers all

20. xLone Wolfx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Way to go Grampa! :eusa_clap Thanks for sharing your story of unconditional love. It's encouraging to know that the older generation can be as open minded and accepting as the younger generation.