1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with gossip about gay son

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by turtlemom, Jun 9, 2014.

1. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi everyone, Im a mom and our 18 yr old son is gay, he came out to his dad and I last Sept. He came out to most of his friends last Jan 1st, as far as we can tell all of his friends are cool with it. There is one friend that he use to hand with when he was younger but thats been about 3 or 4 yrs since they have really hung out. This one friend has some mental problems as far as being really immature and just has had a rough up bringing along with severe epilepsy so between the epilepsy and all the meds he has taken has really caused him many medical and mental problems through the years. It is a known fact that he says innapropriate things at times and has been in trouble for it at school and with his dad. Anyway, I seen my best friend today and her son told me that when he seen this friend that Im talking about at Walmart, that friend asked my friends son if he knew my son was gay. So my friends son said yes I knew. Then this kid claimed my son asked him out. Well, it ticks me off because it just isnt true. My son hasnt asked anyone out, hes not ready for that plus he wouldnt ask a straight friend or anyone one out that he knew was straight thats ridiculous. It just really tics me off. I wonder if I should let my son know that this kid said that? Or just forget it. My son doesnt even talk to this old friend anymore. I mean, if he seen him he would say hello how are you, but they arent friends that hang out. This is ridiculous. I think my son should know, so he isnt too friendly to this kid when he sees him. My son has Aspergers ( high functioning Autism) I just think I should tell him. Thanks for listening!!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it ticks me off because it just isnt true. My son hasnt asked anyone out, hes not ready for that plus he wouldnt ask a straight friend or anyone one out that he knew was straight thats ridiculous

How do you know this?

3. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I know what you mean. I dont know everything, however I do know how my son is. We are close and if he wanted to ask someone out and did so, he would be excited and tell me and his dad, no big deal thats all. I told my son about it and we talked, he thanked me for telling him and I feel better knowing that it doesnt bother him at all. He said I didnt ask him out and he would just say that if someone said something. He also said that he isnt surprized to hear that this friend made something up. Like I said he has problems. In fact my son said he had thought about having a talk with this guy a while back about his behaviors because he didnt want to see him get beat up or something. Thanks for replyng. :slight_smile:

4. Hyaline

I know you have yours son's best interests at heart, but try to resist the urge to protect him at every turn. I know the momma bear thing tends to kick in and people better behave. But he will need to learn to deal with people like this on his own. But truthfully it sounds like he is doing just fine.

I am not trying to discourage you, but rather help him build the tools so he can deal with it on his own when he needs to... Gosh that came off kinda bossy, I don't mean it that way.... Hopefully you understand what I am trying to get at...

5. katwat

Hey Turtlemom

Glad you talked with your son. That is always my first bit of advice. Talking things out openly and honestly seems to work the best. It is when someone holds back, refuses to listen, or fails to accept another's right to a differing opinion that things get really messed up.

Good luck to you and your son

6. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I totally get what your saying and I agree with you. It's the momma bear thing but it was also some other things. I take opportunities like this to have discussions with him so that I can get to know his young adult mind better. And that's more because of his Aspergers, he can go a few days at a time without saying very much at all. Its like I have to find reasons to get him on a discussion. Its really tricky because I want to keep the mama bear separate from the other things if that makes any sense. Your right that they have to build the tools to deal with things on their own regardless if they have Aspergers or not. And no, you didnt sound bossy. I appreciate you taking time to help me. I think its good for us to consider other things. Sometimes we get caught up in the moment or situation. Thank you and have a great day! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 9th Jun 2014 at 08:35 PM ----------

I felt better after talking with him. We didnt beat it to death or anything like that. He shared his view points and thoughts about this person. I didnt act like a nut or anything like that either ha. It was a very laid back cool conversation but also very fulfilling for both of us. I get to learn how he thinks as a more mature person not my little turtle lol. He's a really level headed person, its really awesome watching him grow into a responsible mature adult. Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts, I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

7. offmychest

offmychest Guest

lets look at the facts here.

what good is going to come out of of telling your son this....

for starters we know the other kids has some mental issues and says whatever comes to his mind. he can't help himself as the meds have messed with his reality. he probably doesn't even remember what he said. so what is the point of telling your son this? What is that going to do to your son but either tick him off or send him over the edge. maybe this will lead to some type of confrontation between the kids. that would not be good or healthy, especially since the so-called gossiping kid isnt even in contact with your son. the truth of the matter is that people are talking about your son, people are talking about the kid with teh mental issues, people are talking about everyone (young or old). you wont be able to quiet the gossipers so why bother. your son doesn't even see or talk to this kid in years, so why dredge of drama. now if the mentally challenged kid keeps spouting off at the mouth, maybe you need to have a talk with his mother if you know her. but i really do not see what good this will do for your son. if anything i would tell my son that there are some really stupid people out there that have nothing better to do than to gossip about gays and he will encounter that in his llife and he woudl have encountered that if he was straight. i would also tell him that gossip is like fire. the more you fan it, the larger the flames get.

8. ABeautifulMind

I know this has been resolved, but I read your post and had to post. I also have Aspergers. I completely understand what your son is going through. I wanted to let you know you are more than welcome to come to me via wall or personal message if you ever have any questions.

That being said, you said your son goes a few days without saying anything, has he ever been more social? I ask because at his age I had gotten to a point of having more than one conversation a day. I hope you dont think I am interfering or stepping out of bounds, but would you like him to be more social? There are ways. For instance, set up a camera on a tripod, and record you and him having a conversation. Then play it back and watch it with him. Point out areas where you were giving him social cues that he missed. Tell him what you were feeling at the time. The idea being the more social cues and emotional facial features you can show him, the more he will know how to handle. He most likely doesnt have the ability to pick up on a new social cue, so you show him as many as possible, so when he has a real conversation he knows wht social cues look like. Even without the camera, practicing is the only thing that helped me. He may never learn to understand these things, I never did. HOWEVER by learning to imitate them, which is possible, he can lead a far more happy and productive life in the future.

Like I said, I dont mean to stick my nose where it doesnt belong so to speak, but I just know how hard it is to have aspbergers. I feel very strongly that it is the cause of me taking so long to realize I was bi. I dont know which has impacted my life more, Aspbergers or my sexuality. Please dont be offended by my spitting out advice. I am really glad you spoke to your son (as I would have suggested) and I wish you and your son the most happiness possible. PLEASE feel free to message me or post on my wall if I can be of any assistance.

---------- Post added 10th Jul 2014 at 03:39 PM ----------

I just wanted to add, I say he could live a more happy and productive life in the future, because looking back at what my life was like before I could navigate social interactions compared to now. Hell there is no comparison. It makes you feel "normal" which is something I never felt before I learned. Well, I suppose in reality it was what I percieve feeling normal feels like, but regardless it was a euphoric ecstasy like feeling.

Also, if you have him practice, make sure you dont do too much, that shit is exhausting. EXTREMELY exhausting.

Anyways, Thats all I wanted to add