1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9 1/2 year old daughter.

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by ginger cthulhu, Jun 17, 2014.

1. ginger cthulhu

Greetings.

I'll try to keep this as coherent as possible, but I make no promises.

I'll start off by saying I identify as genderfluid, and pansexual. I'm very open and honest with my children (I have three from my previous marriage), so I don't struggle with the acceptance/supportive part of this.

About my eldest daughter: She was severely sexually/physically abused by her biological father (as was I). The poor kid kinda hit the ground running from day one. She's going under testing for Asperger's (which I also have), has started puberty a bit early, gets teased a lot at school because she's very atypical for a girl (in society's eyes). Lately she's been pushing the issue of wanting to dress like a boy, as much and as often as possible. The day after she opened up to me, we went out and bought new clothes to her liking. She even asked if she could have her (long) hair cut off, to be more boyish. I didn't bat an eyelash, and took her to a salon/barber shop of her choice. She seems much more content with her new look, and that's all fine and well. I'm happy as punch she came to me, and that I could help her settle into her own skin a little better.

She's very confused about her sexual preferences. She feels that because she wants to be a boy, she has to be attracted to girls. I've explained to her, to the best of my ability, that that isn't always the case. She's also afraid of being teased even more at school when she goes back in the fall as the young man she wants to be, instead of the girl she left school as in the spring.

She also sometimes feels like she wants to go to bed, and not wake up, because it's too emotionally painful for her sometimes. I've already sought out a wonderful, wonderful therapist whom is LGBT friendly - and works with a lot of adults/children dealing with gender dysphoria, and the like.

I've told my mother how my child wants to live her life, and she's been okay with it. I am, however, very nervous to tell my dad/stepmom/grandmother etc. I haven't even come out to them yet.

I guess I just want to know if I'm doing all the right things, or if there's more I can do, or more I can say? These are such important years, and I don't want my child spending those years miserable, uncomfortable, depressed, and closed out from the world.

2. Najlen

You sound like a wonderful mom. You are doing the right things. Keep doing what you are doing, be there for herr and help her figure things out if that's what she wants.

3. ginger cthulhu

Thank you, Grey. There aren't a lot of people I can ask about this, and it's nice to hear that I'm not totally screwing up my kid.

4. Vaettfang

I'm no adult, but it sounds like you're doing ALL the right things. You seem like a great mother. :slight_smile:

5. ginger cthulhu

6. Silver Sparrow

It seems like you are doing all the right things. Is your child trans? That's my only question. Because you are saying your daughter "wants to be a boy", does that mean that you should be using he pronouns?

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's what I'm wondering...

8. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It sounds like you are doing everything right to me. The most concerning thing to me is how your daughter feels like going to sleep and never waking up. Have you contacted your nearest PFLAG yet???? Hopefully there, there will be others like her or have children like her that she could meet in person.....that would be awesome for her.

9. ginger cthulhu

I say my 'daughter' because, for the past almost 10 years, she's been my 'daughter'. This change has been recent, as in, the last 7 days. I have no problem to adjusting from daughter to son, it's just that I slip ... because I'm human. It's of no disrespect, or disregard for the position my child is in.

We only have one PFLAG chapter here, it's through a religious sector, and it's falling apart.

10. Hexagon

It sounds like you're doing everything right, to me. I was once a nine year old boy, in your child's precise position, trying to find a way to be a boy at school and so forth. Except I didn't have my parents' support. I just have one suggestion: Is there any way you could move schools? Perhaps not immediately, as it must be said that children change a lot. But perhaps in a year, once your son has shown he's happy in a male role, it would be good for him to be somewhere people don't know his past. I know how much that would have meant to me.

11. ginger cthulhu

Yes, my family and I have really considered switching schools, especially if he can't settle in the school he's in. We live in kind of an turned-up-nose, financially wealthy town - which is funny, because we are very low middle class, at best, and very humble about it. I can't say this place is all too accepting of anything outside of the social normative, and he not only gets teased himself - he gets teased because of the way I am, too. He has made one best friend, and she's an absolute doll, and I'm thankful he has her.

The only problem I have with switching schools is, the one he's at, is a very very very good school. Most of the kids are accepting, and it's really a specific group of children that pick on him. The other schools in the surrounding area are in rough parts of town, with crowded classrooms, underpaid (and unenthusiastic) teachers, and unfortunately - the race card gets played a lot. He went to another school a few years ago, and was ridiculed constantly for being a white kid. He couldn't make friends, because none of the parents wanted their child associated with the white family in the neighborhood.

I'm also still figuring out how to address this with my family. We're all very close, and my children have incredible bonds with their grandparents, step grandparents, and great grandparents. I know, though, that accepting this may not be something they could feasibly achieve. My dad, whom I love dearly, supports LGBT - but doesn't agree with it. I don't know how he'd react to someone in his family coming out. Like I said, I haven't even come out to my family (except my mom and younger brother).

Some days, my head is spinning.

12. Hexagon

Ah, I understand the difficulty, then. I suppose the fact that it's a good school makes it a harder decision to leave, and I'm not saying it's definitely necessary. But please pay close attention to your son's state of mind, and if things go too far, you might have to make the decision.

I was about nine when I transitioned for the first time at school. It was a very bad school, so bad, in fact, that I was put two years ahead in order to be properly challenged. I also didn't have my parent's support. I have no wish to speak with them about it, but as far as I can tell, they basically informed the teachers that under no circumstances was I to be treated as a boy. The teachers then asked the kids not to, which was interpreted as bullying me. I was eventually sent back into the closet. This year at school effectively begun a depression I never really got over until I was 14-15, when I started delving into my gender identity again, and was able to understand the root of my problems. I suspect I'd still have had a hard time if I'd never tried to transition at 9, but regardless, it was an extremely difficult time.

My point is this: Don't let that happen. The particulars of the situation your son is in may be different to mine, but it still reminds me of what I went through. He'll be able to get through a certain amount of teasing, but not too much. It might help to educate the children on trans issues, they can be surprisingly willing to learn, sometimes. Having a friend also helps - I take it she's aware of the change?

As for your family, my extended family didn't react too well when I was young. If I recall, they attempted to pay me to change back, something I refused. Honestly, you won't have too many options other than persistence and attempts to encourage empathy on their part. These days, I'm much closer to my grandmother than I ever was. A rather sneaky, but possibly effective way to do it is to discuss your son's troubles with your father, and try to engender his sympathy. Once he's worried for your son's wellbeing, then present him with the only possible solution: transition. I think he'd be more likely to accept it then.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep it up. The world needs more parents like you.

I'm going to echo Hexagon's suggestion; perhaps move him to a new school (as good a school as possible, with the most open reputation you can find). Starting fresh, with people who won't deliberately misgender him, and the ability to be stealth about his gender. Would it be possible to change school when he reaches high school, or does his school continue all the way through?

14. ginger cthulhu

His school changes after year 5, then again after year 8.
    So, he has two years before middle school.

I really appreciate all the advice. It's given me some peace of mind.

Yes, his friend is aware of the change.

15. Colorful13

Your not screwing up your child, and as for the issue of family, I have had similar problems. How exactly does the family your concerned about react to the lgbt community? And EC is a great plaace for ears and helpful advise anytime :slight_smile: "There aren't a lot of people I can ask about this"

#15 Colorful13, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  16. White Knight

World needs more mothers/parents like you who can let their children explore themselves without putting barriers or shame on them. Society do that enough already. I think it is very important for any child to know they have a safe port to stop when this ugly world tires them.

(*hug*)

17. Colorful13

<3 This <3 All true (*hug*) :thumbsup: great mother

18. ginger cthulhu

*gets teary eyed*
    thank you.

19. Really

Hiya,
    You sound like a cool mother. I don't have kids but if I did I would send them to something like karate classes to boost their self confidence and to exude a "don't mess with me" vibe. Do you have a community centre or Y nearby where your kid and his little friend could take some sort of martial arts or self defence classes?

20. AmiBee

You sound like a great mom. Protect your little boy and send him into the best environment that you can. If that is his current school, do your best to make sure that he is safe and protected. Good luck!