1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

11 yr old son told me he is gay

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by His Mamma, Jun 22, 2014.

1. His Mamma

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Hello!

My son came out to me last night. This occurred after a conversation in which I stated how supportive I am of any and all people! Some of the conversation included safe sex and different types of sexuality! I had my 3 sister in the car 15 and older! I was explaining to them how to be safe and what not.. The conversation trailed into other topics. I'm not a shy mother. I open with my child. (Not inappropriate) I would rather he know the real deal not the trash kids tell each other! Sometime after we arrived home my son asked for me to come talk to him privately! I obliged. He said in a shaky manner " Mom I'm gay" I was taken Aback but not surprised. ( He has shown signs in the past) I had a smile on my face. He seemed confused. I was so happy he could tell me I just kept smiling. He told me it was not funny. I confessed that I was not smiling because of laughter but out of joy. He calmed. I asked him if he was aware of what he was saying. "Yes" he said. I told home I support him on any of this. He has his mommy at his side! He told me he did not like girls. I said "ok"! He did not want to tell my husband. He asked me too! My husband heard (totally on board)! His bio dad has made "fag" (sorry for the profane words) jokes! Making his feel bad for many years. I have never stood fort it. (I was just unaware of why this was hurting him so bad) I can say this all makes things more clear now. Years of sadness and torment by his father. Makes me sick really! My question is we just moved, and he will be starting middle school soon. I told him I was not sure weather he should mention it yet to his new friends yet. ( I now think that was wrong) what should I do. He wants my advice but I cannot tell him not to be who he is. Should he risk the possible torment, should I let him make his own decision, or tell him to take it in stride. Make his own decision? I just want to make this as easy I can for him. Knowing full well it won't be! Help! Thanks for taking the time to read this!

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should just leave it to him with coming out at school. I think what would be best is to just let him see the crowd he's in and if he's comfortable with it then ya he could.

3. kev123

I would leave it up to him. It's his decision.
    Maybe he'll make some really good friends he can trust.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's totally his decision, but there's one piece that's important for him to know when making the decision, and that is... as soon as he tells a couple of people, even if they're sworn to secrecy, there's a probably 90% chance that within a day or two the whole school will know. Unfortunately, that sort of gossip travels like wildfire in middle and high schools.

The good news is... it's getting to be more and more of a complete non-issue to kids his age. Particularly if you spend some time talking to him and preparing him for the potential that some kids will make fun of him or say rude things... he'll learn to let it roll off.

Even though our minimum age is 13 without parental consent (Federal law), the law allows for exceptions with parental permission, so he is also welcome here with parental permission (you can PM me or another admin to arrange this if you wish to do so.)

Another suggestion I'll make: The issues that gay kids face, overwhelmingly, is one of shame and difficulty feeling accepted and like they belong. So it's important to support him with empathy and compassion, which isn't quite as easy as it sounds, because empathy is unique to each person that requires it and requires going into your own discomfort in order to reach that place where you can really be there for him.

Brené Brown has studied and written about empathy and shame in parenting, and I strongly recommend that all parents with gay kids read at least the parenting section in her book "Daring Greatly." It will probably make the biggest single difference you can make in understanding the challenges your child will face and how to work with him.

And, of course, the EC community is a great resource both for him and for you. So feel free to ask any questions or share any concerns you have.

5. ginger cthulhu

You're a great mom.

I would let him come out in his own time, but be prepared
    for some kids to be seriously cruel. He will need you a lot during the next several years.

6. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

I would agree with that. He'll probably be able to sense whether or not it's a good idea to come out, that's what I do anyway. It's great you're so supportive of him! :slight_smile: Good luck to him and to you! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

7. Butterfly16

Butterfly16 Guest

Wow he has a great mom....

8. Mitchell

I think it would be worth looking into a Gay Straight Alliance group at school.

The high schools here have them, not completely sure about middle school.

That seems pretty brave of him. I waited until 14 to tell my mother.

9. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it was me, I would leave the decision to come out there on his own. He has to be the one to decide if it's right or not. Just be there for him when he does do it, whether or not its a good or bad reaction. he'll need your support either way

10. the gypsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I only wish my own mother had been so supportive of me when I was his age.

I agree with the others; The decision to come out to everyone is his and his alone. Be there for him if he does. I would encourage him to have the bravery to do so, but that's something he has to decide on his own.

You'll be the rock on which he stands. Bravo, madam.

11. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi hismamma,
    my dad, while I was growing up, made jokes too, but they were not malicious, they were more in fun. It is possible that his dad isn't doing it to be hurtful. I know mine was not. What did hurt me, was not his joking around about gay folk, but when I joked that I might actually be gay...the expression on his face of disgust is what hurt me, not his joking around previously. It seems that, he was, deep down, fine with other people being gay, just not his son...Just thought I would say, do you know for sure that his bio dad really is against gays, or, like lots of other straight people, just finds it 'funny' (which I agree is not ideal, but is not as bad as actually putting them down in a mean way)? Have you ever spoken with his bio dad, about this issue? He might not be as homophobic as you think. If he really loves his son, he might be able to accept his son's sexuality. In my case, I was joking about it to sort of 'test' my dad's reaction, and his reaction was not good, and yes it did hurt me...but as I said, your ex-husband might not be as homophobic as you think, maybe. Just thought I would relate all of that. Because if his bio dad could be more sensitive about it, and be educated about it, it could make a really huge difference to your son. It would have for me. Because like it or not, there isn't really a substitute for one's actual bio father. I still think about mine, although he has been dead for some years. I still feel his presence sometimes. If you could somehow make his bio dad see that it was not right to joke about gays, that it was hurtful to his son, and to be more respectful from now on, as I said, what a difference that could make.

Finally, I want to say how great it is, that he has such a supportive mother, well done on that, you are an inspiration!

Damien. :slight_smile:

12. DarkDreamer

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Aww you sound like an amazing mum! He's lucky to have you! I'd let him come out in his own way at his own pace, tell him it's his choice.

You're awesome!

13. Candace

You're a really good parent! :slight_smile: I think you should let him make his own decisions, but check in on him from time to time. Remember that how he acts and what he does is still a reflection of you, regardless of sexual orientation.

14. BreezyB

You're a fantastic mom I wish I could have came out at that age, my mom still doesn't know. You should definetly leave the decisiion to come out to him but you should also discuss how mean people can be with him. And if he does decide to come out even though violence isn't a good solution you need to make sure he can defend himself. Just tell him he shouldn't be running around picking fights but if someone hits him he needs to defend himself. Just cause you're gay doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to fight

15. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Just going to echo the others and say youre an amazing mom. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wish I had a mom like you :slight_smile: that boy is so lucky
    and like the others said you should leave it up to him on wither to come out or not .

17. ABeautifulMind

Wow, I got a little choked up reading that. Everyone is right, you really deserve a lot of credit for how great and supportive you are. I wish my mom was a fraction as supportive as you. I cant stress this enough, you should feel as proud of yourself as you do your son.

I also agree about letting him decide. I might tell him that while it is his decision, you think he might wait a week or so to determine the atmosphere, but that ultimately it is his choice.

Enroll him in self defense if your really concerned.

18. CountessAbby

I encouraged my son to do what he felt comfortable with, but also told him I feel he should never have to hide or be ashamed of who he is. So, he told his classmates, friends and me...and he has withheld the information from his dad. (who has made negative remarks years back as well) He told his friends and siblings but refuses to tell dad until he leaves for college. I respect his choices. That said, I have been fearful of hate and have worried about remarks, attitudes and hurtful things. I told him that he has a lot of guts I admire him...and it took a lot of bravery, as we live in a small rural town in the Midwest. But I also feel he can be a positive role model for younger kids at school, since he is now a Senior. Let your son choose, support him, and make him proud of who he is! Also, in a larger city by us, the homecoming king this fall was openly gay, a very popular boy, and his sexual preferences werent an issue! Thank god times are changing!