1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

11 year old daughter came out

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by E11mum, Jul 30, 2014.

1. E11mum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The title says it all really, my 11 year old daughter came out to me on Monday evening as gay. Yesterday she also told her best friend and my mother (well she got me to tell my mum as we were both FaceTiming her). I know that my daughter probably guessed I would be supportive as I am open with her about my own bisexuality and she knows I have had both girlfriends and boyfriends in the past.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for in posting here other than to sound off a little because I know this is a big deal for my daughter and I want to be as supportive as I can be for her. Her coming out follows a recent trip to a festival which she took with her dad and his partner where she met a girl who she has a major crush on. Unfortunately this girl lives in Wales and we live in London so they can't see each other regularly. M (my daughter) has been down in the dumps about missing this girl since she came back from the festival (hopefully this will lift as she left this morning for a camping trip with her dad and his partner).

M left for the camping trip worried about how she's going to tell her dad - she wants to tell him but isn't sure how, I reassured her that he would be ok about it (because I'm sure he will) - hopefully she will find the right moment while they are away, otherwise I guess that's something I can support her with. We agreed that it's probably not the best first thing to tell people when she starts at her new school in September but on the other hand I have checked the school's website and they do specifically mention homophobic bullying in their behaviour policy which is positive.

So overall this is a good thing. I'm very pleased that M felt able to tell me about her feelings and I just want to make things as easy as I can for her. I know homophobia is a major problem and I can't completely protect her from that (much as I would like to) but I can provide a safe haven where she is loved and accepted for who she is.

2. julianne

I love seeing positivity like this from parents. I can only hope that my mom will be as accepting as you are for your daughter :slight_smile: I'd also like to commend you for not dismissing her orientation because she's young. I expected negativity when I opened this thread, but you've given me nothing but hope. Thanks for posting this!

The world is full of hatred and nastiness, and it's understandable that all parents would want to protect their children from these things. Unfortunately, this is impossible. If your daughter is of a visible minority, you would have to worry about her facing racism. If she was shy, you would worry about her not making friends. Even being a woman can make you worry that she will face discrimination. Being gay is the same. And, like with these other examples, you won't be able to totally protect her from prejudice and discrimination. As her Mother, you can only provide the most supportive and nurturing environment as you possibly can, and teach your daughter that what she is experiencing is normal and okay. These lessons in self love and acceptance will be priceless to her as she grows older. It sounds like you're doing a great job of this already :slight_smile:

Thankfully, I think the world is slowly learning to be more accepting and friendly, especially towards LGBTQ people. I started dating my girlfriend in my senior year of high school, and we were out to almost everyone in school. We didn't hear a single nasty comment. Most people were completely supportive towards us. I know that there were probably people talking about us and judging us, but this is unfortunately the nature of being a teenager. I'm not sure what things are like where you live, but things are getting better and I hope your daughter is blessed with a similar experience.

Once again, thank you so much for posting this. I wish you and your family the best, you truly deserve it.

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on being a great mother! It gave me a smile :slight_smile:

4. E11mum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Having read a bit more round the boards now, I guess one of the reasons I'm very accepting is that I never assumed my child would be straight. I always felt that she would determine her own sexuality in her own time. Admittedly she is a little younger than I envisaged for her making that choice but my general approach to parenting is to trust my child to know what she is ready for and very much to go with the flow. So I guess these things make it easier for me to be supportive and understanding.

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish every parent was like this. Kudos to you!

6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are awesome. :thumbsup:

7. mangotree

You're awesome E11Mum :slight_smile:
    Total legend.

8. esc1010

More mothers should be like you, wish my mother was like this.

9. E11mum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Honestly some of the stories I've read on here just make me want to kick homophobic parents so hard! Or possibly just adopt a houseful of gay kids.

10. You're great! By the sound of it you've pretty much already done the hard work -kids with parents like you barely have a closet to climb out of :slight_smile:

Personally I'd just work on building her self confidence right now. Whatever activities she's into, be enthusiastic about, encourage her to keep trying new things etc etc.

The homophobia situation is a hard call. Part of me thinks it would be a good idea to chat to her class teacher & perhaps make them aware of the stonewall anti-bullying materials. Then again, she probably doesn't want to be treated any differently (if the teacher doesn't quite know how to handle it) and it could backfire if you inadvertantly *out* her. It's a tough one.

On balance, I'd probably suggest just putting a bit of effort into getting to know her main teacher, without referencing the LGBT stuff for now - so you've got a relationship there if there are bullying issues later down the line.

Also maybe worth getting involved in the PTA if you've got the time?

---------- Post added 3rd Aug 2014 at 10:49 AM ----------

God, my head is flip flopping on this one. Maybe it would be better for her just to be *out* right from the start of secondary school? Like most 11 year olds haven't really started the main homophobia phase, so it sould almost end up being a non-issue in the short-term. It may well boost her confidence a lot just to get it out there right from the start. I dunno. There's no guidebook for this situation.

---------- Post added 3rd Aug 2014 at 10:58 AM ----------

I mean on the first day of secondary school everyone is nervous as hell & desperately wants to make friends. Within a few weeks, at the point the kids start developing deeper friendships, it won't even be news.

11. E11mum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't know how the best way to handle it at school would be. I think we need to do some more talking. My gut says don't come out straight away, make some friends first but otoh maybe you're right and it's best just to get it out there from day one. Her secondary school has reference to homophobic bullying in the behaviour policy and links to stonewall, also has contact details for a local lgbt youth group so that's all a good sign.

12. Rose22

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Wow! I could read this over and over again. Your an amazing mum!!! If only every parent was like that
    :eusa_clap
    :thumbsup:

13. E11mum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Also, I ordered her this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1873741456/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which looks like it might be helpful. If anyone has any ideas for resources which might be particularly helpful I'd appreciate them. I also got her a stonewall t shirt which says Some people are gay. Get over it. She asked me for that. I'm not sure how she will feel about wearing it but I won't make a fuss and she has it if she wants to wear it.

14. It could be worth contacting the lgbt youth group & asking for advice there? I'd guess they probably have/had members who are at the school and have a better insight. They may even be able to put you in touch with other parents whose LGBT kids are at the school. Whether you'd want that or not, I don't know.

Anyway, great to hear British schools have moved on from the bad old days of section 28 :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 3rd Aug 2014 at 11:28 AM ----------

Btw, You definitely win the mum of the year award :slight_smile:

15. E11mum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I came out at school (as a lesbian, I decided I was bi a few years later) when I was 16 in the bad old days of section 28 and although my family were supportive I got quite a bit of shit at school. I'm certainly glad that things will be better (if not perfect) for my daughter.

Your idea about contacting the youth group is a good one and we will think about that.

16. BiPenguin

Well done for just letting her grow. She will know now or later that she is accepted no matter. Some of us know from day dot who we are and some of us need a ride to learn.

17. E11mum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    She called me today from her camping trip to say she came out to her dad, he was fine and she feels happier for having told him. So that's another good step.

18. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This thread is so amazing with such great parents, it deserves Daft punk clapping.
    [​IMG]

19. Clay

That's fantastic news!

20. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly some of the stories I've read on here just make me want to kick homophobic parents so hard! Or possibly just adopt a houseful of gay kids.[/QUOTE]

Same (the second part)