1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't she choose one ? Please advise

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by melissanbilly, Aug 5, 2014.

1. melissanbilly

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have a 19 year old daughter who has jumped from saying she likes boys and then back to girls for about 5 years now.She also happens to be developmentally delayed which sometimes I wonder if that makes her not be able to choose.It is not that she likes boys for a while and then likes girls for a while it's that everytime she decides she likes girls she dresses like a guy, and everytime she decides she likes boys she dresses like a girl I have been very understanding with her for so long but what she has done this last time I and our whole family is struggling with.She started dating this guy and eventually he asked her to marry him he became a big part of our family he truely loved her for who she was even with her disabilities they talked about their wedding and for a while I questioned her because I knew she likes to change her mind.She really had us all convinced that she had finally chose to be who it was she wanted to be, her boyfriend lost his dad about 6 weeks ago so he was struggling but of course my daughter made him feel better, my daughter and this nice young man are both virgins my daughter has never been with a guy anyway for 7 months she dressed like a girl and talked about marriage and then all of a sudden she broke up with him put her guy clothes back on and BOOM I like girls this is who I am this is the way I am comfortable.What is going on here ? I figured she would have this figured out by now she ripped all of our hearts out of our chest and the poor guy still struggling with the death of his father, and her to have the nerve to say she is hurting worse then anyone else? It's like she don't even realize the pain she had caused her farther and I and her brothers as well really liked her boyfriend.We are all very hurt, can anyone tell me when or if she will choose a gender that she wants to be and stay with it ? And I am talking about herself not who she chooses to be with but who she chooses to be because we live in a very small town and as ashamed as I am to say this it is embarrassing when you go to the grocery store with your daughter looking like a girl one week and a guy the next week.:icon_sad::icon_sad:

2. Budweiser

She's probably bisexual, likes both girls and boys. However, if she has this disability she could have a disabled sense of empathy, too. So maybe that's why she doesn't understand the bad break up timing.

Maybe it would help if you teach her that the cloths don't make the man. She can dress guyish or girly all she wants and it has nothing to do with what gender she likes. But she will probably never be either straight or gay, instead somewhere in between.

3. Tetra

This definitely sounds like bisexuality. Sometimes people who are bisexual will shift in whether they prefer to be with a man or a woman at any particular time, which is what it sounds like your daughter is dealing with.

As for the clothing choices, perhaps she feels like she needs to "fit the stereotype" by dressing in what she imagines is right for a person of her sexuality.

4. GeekMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not know what developmental delays your daughter suffers from, but if she is on the autism spectrum or in any way has autistic traits, that might very well make it difficult for her to understand other people's emotions and how her actions affect others around her.

I personally do not see anything wrong with her changing gender expression and identity, I think the bigger problem is your being embarassed by it.
    I know it's tough with the way society is, but you should try to support your daughter no matter what and it might very well be that she keeps going back and forth for the rest of her life, that might very well be who she actually is.

Of course I understand that it must be hard for you and for the poor lad, but if she is capable of making her own decisions in life ( would she for example be able to marry legally without you having to sign anything in her name?) then that is just her decision and will have to be accepted by all involved.

That being said, maybe she just thinks that people who are with women are men and people who are with men are women and thus thinks she has to change her gender expression each time she feels like she's more into one or the other.
    It might help trying to explain to her that girls can like girls and boys can like boys, even though society tends to be heteronormative.
    So maybe she does not actually think she's a girl at one time and a boy at another, but that she has to be a boy to like girls etc.

Sorry I really wish I could be of more help, but that's a very unusual situation you are in and I obviously have little experience in dealing with that.
    I have an autistic, lesbian relative, but her gender expression is absolutely normative, so that is in no way comparable to your situation.

5. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sometimes people just need time and exploration to find themselves and work out their sense of personal identity. I can appreciate that it might be difficult not being able to predict what she is going to do next and worrying about whether she is going to keep hurting people, but she probably needs to feel as though she is free to live life without people trying to label her, if you see what I mean. People shouldn't judge you, her family, for her constant changes, but if they do then they probably aren't worth worrying about anyway! So try not to dwell on what the people at the grocery store are thinking about her clothes and her love-life. :slight_smile:

Have you tried to talk to her about it? I mean, a proper, meaningful conversation? She might not want to, but if she is open to discussing how she's feeling, you might both reach a better level of understanding of each other.

6. Clay

I disagree with the "bigger problem is your being embarrassed by it". I mean the girl was talking about marrying a guy for months and then not only broke up with him 6 weeks after his dad died, she then said she's hurting the worst. That's pretty selfish, a massive lack of empathy on her part there. A completely normal reaction to that is embarrassment, it's not "the bigger problem".

OP, if her disability affects her empathy and perhaps social understanding, then that might be the bigger cause of this, rather than her sexuality.

7. YourSoThirsty

Never heard of such a case