1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My brother thinks he might be gay...

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by tkygyn, Aug 19, 2014.

1. tkygyn

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    First of all nice to meet you all.

About a week ago my 19yo younger brother told me he thinks he might be gay. I took a deep breath and told him the truth, I love him and always wil.

So slowly and at a few minutes at a time Ive been talking to him about it.
    He says he liked a girl when he was 13 and she said some pretty bad shitty things to him and after that he never liked a girl again. About 2 years ago he liked a guy but never did anything about it.

I asked if he felt sexual atraction, he says he isnt sure. I asked if he wanted to make out with the guy and he said no. Just that he sort of liked him.

So thats about it he liked 1 boy and 1 girl.

He also said he doesnt really feel the urge to fantasize or masturbate. He tried but doesnt really want to.

I just want to help him but I have no clue if hes gay/bi or something else.
    I really im lost and would appreciate any help.

#1 tkygyn, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. Ryujin

Does he feel sexual attraction for girls? There's always the chance he's biromantic asexual.
    Personally though, I would tell him not to label himself until he is absolutely sure on what he was feeling.

3. tkygyn

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    He says he never felt sexually attracted to anyone. He never did anything sexual with anyone not even a kiss.

So my biggest fear is him labelling himself as this or that and getting himself even more confused.

4. Ryujin

I understand your concern for him labelling himself, it is for that very reason I don't label myself, as I went through a phase of being extremely worried about my label and that was not nice.
    If he has never felt sexual attraction by 19 then he is very likely asexual, which means that you don't feel sexual attraction. If he has felt attracted to both guys and girls then he's probably biromantic asexual or panromantic asexual. But again, I would wait until he was absolutely certain.

5. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nineteen is still a young age. Many people still question their sexuality when they well into adulthood.

I second goldenarrow's response. He may be asexual, but he can also be a sex-averse bi/homosexual, or he simply hasn't met anyone who sparked his sexual attraction yet.

Is it possible you can refer him onto this site, so he can type out and explain his feelings to us? Only if he's willing, of course. Heheh.

Best of luck to you and to your brother. : )

6. Ryujin

I would follow Nych's advice, try to get your brother on the forum, I'd like to be able to speak to him and he may be more comfortable telling the faceless Internet the way he feels rather than a real person no offence intended, but often people feel a lot more embarrassment when they know that there is someone right in front of them, listening and judging them.

7. Candace

Please get your brother to use this site pronto!! I think that if he posted a similar thread asking about his questioning sexuality, then we might be able to reach out and help him more than just you. :slight_smile:

8. Blossom85

First of all, I think it is just wonderful of you to be so supportive of your brother and to be his advocate as well. To think that you have researched and come to this site to seek some advise and support in how to help your brother through this is very commendable and just so wonderful to see. He is lucky to have you in his life, even though it might be awkward for him to talk to you about it, I think would appreciate the fact you are on his side.. I do agree with the others who have posted, I think your brother should join so that he can really seek advise and support himself.. He might have questions that will either be too embarrassing for him to ask you or you might not know the answer yourself, so encourage him to join and just keep being there for him, sounds like you are doing a good job so far.

9. tkygyn

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you everyone.

This is the first time i felt like I had no one I could talk to. I can hardly imagine how difficult it must be for him.
    Posting here helped me understand how hard, complicated and confusing it can all be.

I`ll talk to him about the site and community here.

I am calmer now since I believe he can find a lot of help and understanding here.
    (&&&)

ps.Thank you so much for all the advice.

#9 tkygyn, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  10. Ryujin

I'm glad we were able to help, that's why we are here! :slight_smile:

11. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So many categories, so many labels. Give him your support and tell him to go forth and spread his seed where he feels the most comfortable! Categories and labels be damned.

:slight_smile: Welcome.

12. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Firstly you seem really open and accepting :slight_smile:. Secondly, if he says he thinks he's gay, he's probably gay. In my experience, people who work up the courage to actually come out to others as something queer usually are that something. He's probably more certain than your interaction suggested.

Thirdly, his answers to your questions may not be the whole truth. I don't think a young man really wants to tell his sister the details of his sexual attraction, let alone his masturbatory habits. I have a hunch what he was saying was a kind of evasion after the stress of coming out.

Of course, there is a small possibility that he is in some respect, an asexual; but this is exceedingly rare. I don't think he's a biromantic asexual.

Also, past relationships in the teens are not a good guide to one's sexual orientation for many many reasons. And just to underline the obvious, a bad relationship with someone of one sex will not poison the well, e.g. turn someone gay or straight.