1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

14 yr old son says he is gay

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by MomWhoLuvs, Sep 7, 2014.

1. MomWhoLuvs

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My son had a stressful month. He and I are very close he is my oldest.
    Background: he has always preferred female friends over male. He had a few close male friends, but they tend to move. He never played competitive sports. He is super bright and high achieving. Gifted musician. In all sort of music classes and orchestras in and outside school. Seems quite happy. Very high achiever

He used to like girls when really little and always seemed attracted to blonde girls. He flirts. They flirt. He texts. They text. He enters middle school and when peers started dating he'd say "it's stupid. Not like I can drive and have money to take them out". He would go out more in groups. Mostly girls. At lunch, he'd sit w boys bc it would look bad (his words) although close to few girls. He's super popular. When I'd mention to teachers his not hanging w kids outside school, they'd look at me like I'm nuts. Happy kid. Bright. Male and female friends in school. - teachers response

We are a close family and spend lots of time doing things as a family. Traveling, dining, etc. He is super close to his brother. He'd comment about football "stupid sport. Throwing a ball and chasing each other". But he loves to fish, snowboard, ride bike. He's a dare devil. Loves thrill rides.

Since young, loved female musicians. The latest pop star cd has to be purchased. He'd teach self to play the songs.

Just last week, he was invited to boys party at the beach. He voiced he didn't want to go but kids asked him again when school started. He went with my coercing. (He said many kids couldn't go and idler badly for bday kid). Son was miserable and texted to come home after hour. When I arrivd he asked to stay and changed mind. Ended up staying until 10pm ridig bikes, swimming, playing man hunt. I saw a girl w him and two boys

Next morning he snuggles in bed w me. I tell him how proud I am of him. How much I love him and glad to see he enjoyed himself. He says "I was happy when X showed up. For some reason I'm more comfortable w girls". I threw out few reasons "they're more mature. Less drama among opposite sex. Are u gay?"
    He responded "yes". I said "ur gay. How do u know?" And he said "I'm only attracted to boys" I asked when he started to think that and he said "4th grade". I hugged him and old
    Him I love him and no matter what will love him and this isn't a huge shocker to me.

Hour later, we were alone. Husband and kids left. I asked "do u like boys and girls" and he said no. I told him "being gay is not easy. Ur going to have challenges but I will b there for u as I am sure dad will". He doesn't want dad to know. I told him "dad will accept u. I prepared him for possibility out children may chose sexual orientation different than ours and when or if u want him to know, I'll help u but he WILL be there for u too"
    He told me "I thought telling u would make me feel better. But I feel
    Worse." I explained that it's reality once verbalized.
    He shared he told two girls at school (I checked his cell and read texts) so I told him "if u don't want ur peers to know, u need to protect urself. These girls
    Could sell u out. If u want peers to know, that's ok too but be prepared mentally for a battle". He doesn't want to come out to peers. I advised him not to text this info (he's saying some boy is hot in class to these girls). He trusts them. They shared private stuff plus he told me "I finally have someone to talk to and be myself" I warned him of drama that these girls could create. He doesn't want to hear it

I looked online. He's been visitng websites in past related to music and where some have gay men dating men etc. On forums of radical musicians.

He's quiet. I talk w him more. He says at times he feels alone. Empty. I offer to arrange counseling and hate again how I have a counselor for growing up w alcholic parents. He agrees. I share I looked thru his phone. He know my rules. He is 14. Phone stays in office at nite and I will look tru on occasion. Hi remind to not share via text. I offer alternative. Call. Face time. Have hear two girls over. (Counselor set up for next week. I tell him counselor
    Just for him to have safe place when thigs get overwhelming. How info in confidential and good outside view)

(I did tell my husband. I had to. First, bc I was not sure he'd react in a way that wouldn't damage my son. Plus, I need to let him know son feels lost and needs counselor. Husband has also made some anti gay comments in past). Husband and I went out for ride. I shared info. I told him if he ever does not support my son, I will choose my son and kick him out. He crieds and was great. Told me he'd remain silent and he now offers me suggestions like "we need to just love him and let him know we love him no matter what".
    I told son we needed to tell dad he is feeling lost, but not use term "gay". Son and I sat w dad and shared that. Both son and dad cried, hugging each other. Dad shared his love and no matter what he feels or does, dad will live him"

Te next two days, son was clingy. Snuggling up to me and dad and siblings. He seems happy back in routine of school, etc.
    Problem is, I bring anything up and son it's me off. He starts to almost have panic attack. So I told him "listen, I have a few things to say. One, ur you. U are not a label. U are u. Ur a kid. Be a kid. Do not worry so much about ur future. We do not need to discuss this. Just know I know and have ur back. When u want to discuss it, U bring it up. For now, the term is in a box and when u want to take it out and discuss w me, It's ur call. Life is challenging. Ur private feelings are
    Ur private feelings. Mine are mine. But I am ur mom and will luv u thru every choice u make"

I can't keep bringing it up bc he doesn't want to talk about it. It's almost like he just wants me to know. I shared "I worry for u as u battle ahead". He took my hand and said "if I had another choice, I'd take the easy way out, mom. U know me. But don't u worry. I got this mom. It's not ur battle. I got this"

God I love that boy! Please tell me I'm handling this ok.

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are very supportive and he is very lucky to have you as his mother!

It's okay if he doesn't want to talk about it. He might feel ashamed and confused, and some people would rather handle that on their own. However, he knows you are supportive, and that must comfort him a lot.

3. cibi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'd say your handling it okay but maybe give the boy some space
    the fact that your so super helpfull and stuff
    can come across a bit pushy to him

4. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    You definitely are handling this ok :slight_smile:

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let him do what he feels comfortable with doing, at his own pace. Don't push him towards either boys or girls. He has already acknowledged that he is gay, so there really isn't anything for him to figure out about that, but he does seem to need to come out to some of his peer group and have them acknowledge that he is gay and that it is OK, to reassure himself that he will be OK in his interactions with them. There is not a whole lot you can do for him that you have not already done; just be patient and continue to be there for him as you have already been, and watch for any signs of depression or other symptoms that he is encountering difficulties of some kind.

6. offmychest

offmychest Guest

you're handling great. just make sure he gets a good counselor that he can check in with that supports LBGT issues. some of these wackos out there can do more damage than good. do research first adn get him set up on regular sessions twice a month.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could not be doing much better with this. Honestly, it is pretty much textbook perfect. Openness, emotional vunlerability, but letting him set and keep clear boundaries, and setting boundaries of your own. Really, really healthy.

Your advice to him is on the mark. When anyone (and this includes you and your husband, by the way) experiences loss -- in this case, loss of perception that your son is straight -- there are stages of loss, denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance. So your son sounds like he is approaching the "grief" stage; once he told you, it became "real" and he could no longer bargain with himself about it. Give yourself permission to experience those same stages, as it is something you and your husband will experience as well.

EC could be a great resource for your son. I'd suggest inviting him here. (We can remove or edit this thread if you don't want him reading it.) He will be able to talk about whatever scares or worries him, discuss things that are too delicate or embarrassing to discuss with you, and cultivate deeper understanding for himself.

And I hope you'll stick around as well. There are a growing number of parents here who are reading and contributing to the community.

8. MomWhoLuvs

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've told my children since they were young "some boys like boys/girls/boys&girls".
    I've asked along the way, "what do u like?" He always said girls.
    I've shared stories of cousins son coming out gay when left for college and the grandparents are forcing Christ in life. We all conversed about this and how badly I feel for the boy and I'd never do that.

My kids know Their dad is awesome, but not as accepting but I've even made sure they knew I'd choose them over their dad. I've had open convos in molesting, rape, birth control. U name it. And my kids know I love and respect them and have their backs. You will never meet a closer family regarding being able to talk

He STILL waited to share this. Someone in another thread stated not to tell kids they should be one way or another. I NEVER did, it's society. And for that reason alone, I'd prefer my kid not be gay. Society is harsh

I'd prefer his life was easy from start to finish. Straight, healthy, good relationship, financially successful, happy. But life is life. And all those are not realistic expectations. Unfortunately, I can't put my boy in a bubble and protect him from hardships, but I'll love him thru his battles. I'm his mommy and I'll love him without conditions.

9. SimpleTim

SimpleTim Guest

I may have some weird opinions, but I'll share anyways.

I know if I was a teenager, whether I was straight or gay, I would want my sexual life private. The last person I would want knowing 'what turns me on sexually' is my parents. If I was straight, I would fear my mom more-so. If I was gay, I would feel more vulnerable and shameful with my dad knowing. For some people, (especially those who try to repress actively emoting), it's humiliating trying to explain (to your dad nonetheless) that masculine attributes makes me feel giddy and excited. It's not so much about being gay or straight, it's about an increasing sexuality that is hard to decipher, process and control.

Being gay or straight is like having blond or brown hair, green or blue eyes. I think it's great that you are proud of your son for his personality. He sounds like hes a unique person who is smart, contemplative, has a lot of talents and interests that the world will seek. Even better is how he is being raised with warmth and love, which soothes the mind, and motivates him in developing his interests. Having a preference for men is just a biological attribute that only plays a part in who he is. Put greater emphasis on his works and talents, I have no doubt he will find a way to be successful in life.

10. MomWhoLuvs

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    SimpleTim. Thank you. Great explanation. I agree, who wants to share any info regarding sexual desires with their parents. Yuck

This boy is amazing. He was born with a look in his eye like he could take on the world. I old my husband, if anyone can handle the pressures of society, it's this kid. He's right, he does "got this". I don't doubt he will be successful. Who he has an intimate relationship w is his decision. Not mine.

---------- Post added 7th Sep 2014 at 02:38 PM ----------

I spoke with the counselor who has experience w this. I explained I want someone to listen to and somewhat guide him. I do not want him pushed to come out or to stay hidden. I want him to do what he wants to do.
    I explained I am arranging counseling so a relationship can develop and as he gets older and hits more challenges, I want him to have a safe place. A place without judgement. I want him to verbalize his fears, which he has to me just about life, but when comfortable, about his sexuality.

We are using it as a night out each week at his fav restaurant, just he and I.

He's hard on himself, in that he pushes for perfect grades, advanced groups in orchestra, etc. I need him to have a safe place as high school behind and he may nt achieve all he expects to.

Thanks. I'm glad I found this board and can seek advice from those who have experience.

11. Water lover

Water lover Guest

So as a closeted kid around your son's age maybe I can bring some perspective into how he is feeling. I am rather similar to your son in the way of being academic and girl friends so this might help a little bit. You mentioned that he doesn't want to talk about it he just wants you to know. This is because even though you said"I will love you always and forever" I am guessing that some little part in his mind is scarced to trust that. I know that's crazy to think but he is probably terrified and is putting a brave face on. He wants to fight his own battles. In all reality he probably knows all of the challenges he will face in life. He just probably doesn't want change and when you bring up his sexuality it probably makes him feel alone and scared like he doesn't know. I know this is nothing you mean but coming out no matter how accepting the parents is terrifying just for the fact that is represents change. These are just my guess's on you and your sons situation I wish you best of luck and I have to say your being an awesome mom. Like ridiculously perfect

12. oscarneedslove

your son is so lucky and you're and awesome person. I wish my mom could do 1% of what you have done to your son.

13. Vampire

As many others have stated above, you're doing great. Offering your support and showing him that you care and that you're there for him no matter what is amazing.

Although, you should, as a few people posted, give him a little bit more space. He will go talk to you eventually, but I think this is also a weird, new sensation, knowing that he's out to his parents. I am out to my mother for almost a year now and I still feel weird.

Other than that, you're a great mom!

14. MomWhoLuvs

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've been just laying low with it and waiting for him to discuss if he wants to. I just want to do the right thing as I have read how impt it is to have open lines of communication w your child who comes out.
    I'm realizing that means open lines when he opens them, not me.

15. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi MomWhoLuvs
    You're doing the right thing! If you have something on your mind why not ask on here rather than 'open lines' with yoir son?

16. slestell

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Sounds to me like you are handling it well. I was also worried when my 12 yo son came out and then wouldn't talk about it at all. Got mad if I brought it up. Now, after a few weeks he's more open and seems good. It was probably extremely stressful for your son to come out in the first place, then to his dad. I share your worries about being so out with teenage girls. I know how they can be and my son is much the same as yours. Very open and I don't want to stifle that - but am a worried mom. Hang in there!

17. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree w/ all who say you are handling it well. I agree w/ Offmychest about being wary of counselors (school or other) who may or not be qualified and/or may have their own agenda. Also, check out the resources elsewhere on this site for parents. And I don't think anyone else has mentioned PFLAG (Parents and Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays). They are a great organisation with chapters all over the US andsimilar organisations in other contries. Wiki has some basic info at:
    PFLAG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Best wishes to you, your son, and the rest of the family. Being gay may not be easy for many, but it shouldn't be difficult.

18. MomWhoLuvs

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't really have questions. That's not y I want to communicate w him. But what I'm reading says the OUT person wants to talk about it, so I'm trying to reassure him it's all good.

I've stepped back. Letting him have some space. Not bringing it up or alluding to it. I'm focusing on making sure he seems happy (as much as a teen boy could b) and focusing in kid stuff.

19. Ryujin

Right. You're doing amazing. Really amazing. I wish my dad was as accepting and as understanding as you. As someone around his age, I can also understand not wanting to talk about it. When my dad tries to bring it up, I tend to go away because I can't do it. He may come to you and Open up about it on his own eventually. But I repeat, you're doing great and I wish your son the best of luck in his grades, Orchestra etc.
    Have you thought about inviting him on here? It could be a useful resource to him as there a lot of us young'ns on here.

20. WannaBeMe

You are doing fine, but just remember sometimes time alone is what he needs. But if he starts talking about being bullied you should up him counseling time. I'm a teen and I know what it's like I am literally pretty much your sons age. I know that even my family stresses me to the point of having suicidal thoughts, and they don't even know. Make sure he is safe from being picked on it will only be harder. Possibly get him into a LGBT community at his school or around the town if any. And make it discreet so he doesn't feel on blast or alone.