1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My son came out to me...

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by gingermegg, Sep 9, 2014.

1. gingermegg

gingermegg Guest

Hey! I'm kind of new here, i just created this account because I'm really in need of some advice right now, and i dont really have anyone else to ask.

So, yeah. My son is 10, and today it was my day off work and we were just hanging around at home because i was kind of exhausted. Anyway, i woke up and my little guy was standing at the end of my bed crying - i sat him down and asked him what was wrong and he said the other kids at school had been giving teasing him because he prefers to sit and talk to the girls than play sport and do all the things that boys his age do. Eventually (it took a while) he worked up the courage to come out to me (he said hes known for a year or so now) and tell me that there's a boy he 'really really' likes at school but hes too afraid to talk to. he said Im the first person hes ever told (I know his mum will be ok with it but i dont want to rush him).

He couldn't stop crying and it just broke my heart. I just wanted to find whoever made my sweet, kind, sensitive, gentle boy feel bad and tear them a new one. i just held him as tight as i could and after a while he calmed down a bit, and i told him i love him and how proud of him i am, how much a privilege it is to be his dad and how much i cant wait until he finds someone special.

I remember when he was a tiny baby, me and my wife would watch him sleep. I remember thinking back then that no matter where he goes in life or what he does, that I'm his dad and ill be there for him till the day i die. (me and my wife struggled to conceive so he was a long time coming really). I just hate that there's people out there that would hurt his gentle spirit. When i was younger school was terrible, i used to get bullied constantly so i know what its like and i dont want him to have to go through the same. I see a lot of myself in him, i grew up straight but i guess i never really fit in with the other boys in school either.

I just don't know what to do, i know i need to let him live his own life and that i cant be there to protect him every single moment but I'm just worried for him. Even my relatives are pretty close-minded - to the point where i think its best to not tell them about this because i think they'd just say hurtful things. Am i being too overprotective? i just think hes the best kid in the world (obviously), but I'm kind of unsure where to go from here and what advice to give him. is there more i should be doing?

Sorry if this seems kind of long and all over the place, my thoughts are kind of muddled at the moment. thanks so much for reading this.

2. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a fantastic father you are! You are doing exactly the right thing. Your son kwowing that he has your full support will mean the world to him He felt that he could talk to you about it which is fantastic.
    I would just be there for him when he needs to talk. He doesn't need to rush into doing anything. He can take his time.
    He may find this site useful as well of course. Members should be at least 13, but I know that it is possible to join earlier in special circumstances.

#2 doinitagain, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  3. Candace

You're a really great father!! I wish there were more parents out there just like you, sir :slight_smile:

4. gingermegg

gingermegg Guest

Thanks so much for the replies! Ive heard about the things parents do to their kids who come out and i just cant even imagine how much that would break any kids heart, my god. I just want to be a good dad for my little boy, hes still so young you know? i just wish he told us earlier, i hate that he felt like he had to go through this alone. he was afraid to say anything because he thought wed hate him, poor thing :frowning2:

5. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He had to work things through in his own mind before he felt that he could talk to you. 10 is still very young to know who you are and to be able to pluck up the courage to come out. It was a very different time, but I was 20 when I came out to my parents even though I knew that I was gay when I was 12. I first came out to someone when I was 17.

6. E11mum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sounds like you're doing well so far. Your son knew he could trust you and your reaction was great so he will know his trust was not misplaced. My daughter is 11 and recently came out so I'm in a similar situation and having to restrain my desire to protect my daughter in all situations. Like your son, my daughter has been a bit of a misfit amongst her peers because she is determinedly her own person and she has experienced bullying for this when she was younger. I guess you just have to trust your kid and be there for them when they need you.

7. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You've done more than exceptionally well as a father, and from what you've said your son will think so too. Coming from someone who's dad wouldn't dream of doing something like this, I can say there should be more people like you on this Earth.

Sadly bullying is something that will be common, regardless of sexuality and such. I would recommend that you ask your son if he's comfortable reaching out to his teachers about these issues, and be able to explain to them what's going on and hopefully be able to have a 'safe-zone' at his school when you're not around to talk with him. If he's not too comfortable, he may allow you to talk to the teachers about him coming out and being teased for his different interests. Since your son is still very much 'to-himself', simply knowing there's someone to talk to about himself is a great mental tool to cope and overcome those challenges. Either way, it probably wont end you in as much trouble as tearing those kids a new one (because I know I would have wanted to do that too if I were in your situation).

As far as advice and future steps come into play, I would recommend not putting too much thought into it. When you over think how you talk to him, he will notice this, and he will know you're acting differently and it is something that will make him uncomfortable. While it may take some time to adjust just try to maintain usual family activities and atmosphere. It's fine to make him aware that you are someone he can talk to, and make sure he always knows that you love and care for him, but keep it to the same level that you would normally give your son. Just continue to be the amazing father you are, and be proud that your son came out to you at such a young age (this is truly a testament to how much he really values you as a parent).

I hope everything works out for both of you, and if your son ever needs help when he's older (13+), he's always welcome to come here on his own terms and seek further help. :thumbsup:

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

You are such a wonderful Dad, I wish more people were like you.

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kids often find it difficult to come out to their parents (at any age) and more so with their Dads, so it's great that he has been able to tell you and it says a lot about the special relationship you have with him. I echo what others have said about you being a great Dad.

Do you think your Son told you in the hope that you would be able to help him stop the bullying? How did the conversation go?

I think the key thing here is to continue to offer support and encouragement, help him with his confidence as much as you possibly can and be guided by his wants and needs.

You've not put a step wrong so far. :slight_smile:

10. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The fact that he trusts you to tell you this at such an early stage speaks volumes to what a wonderful father you are. Congrats!

Just continue to encourage and support him and he'll find the inner strength to cope with whatever difficulties and problems life throws at him. :slight_smile:

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    God damn I wish all parents (and people were like you).

Frankly lgbt shouldn't be an issue. You see him as your loving son and that's all that matters and all that should matter.

I have no advice to give except you are awesome.

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second this! ^.^

13. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Read OP, want to give you a long hug. You are a good good person. (*hug*) (*hug*)

14. Colorful13

Im happy when I see posts like this because it shows how great parents can be. I personally dont think your being over protective because you should feel that way for your son. I think give him a little time and he will open up to new people. As for the close mined family, I can relate. Try to feel them out, with out outing him, and see what their point of veiw is on the lgbt community.

15. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm, so that's what a real father is like. Who knew? As for your question, I think it has already been answered by all the others who posted, so there really isn't much more I can add. You sound like a great father, and I wish there was more fathers like you in the world. You're doing a great job raising your son, and I wish you best of luck.

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are a truly wonderful father. A parent's approval is often very important to a child, and the fact that your son came out to you shows how much trust and respect he has for you.

You can't always protect him, but you can try to find him support. It may be tough because many kids aren't self-aware at his age to even know if they're gay or straight, but there should be more coming out in due time. Having other gay friends would be useful, but in the meantime, he could look for "straight allies." Also, something I just thought about is maybe getting him into self-defense or martial arts, as long as he's interested. They can serve as a useful deterrent from bullying.

17. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You've done 90% of the work by your positive reaction to his coming out. So much difficulty is caused by a child's anxiety over parental reaction. As long as he has you, the bullying will be manageable - not to downplay its seriousness.

18. Lina13

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I cried.
    You are a wonderful dad.(*hug*)

19. bornthiswaybby

Oh the tears are flowing. You're doing great. Just check up on him and make sure everything is going fine, and remind him that you're here for him to talk. Also, depending on his current mental state he may need to see a therapist down the road, just because being gay can take a toll on a young mind. However with family support I think he may be alright. Thank you for being an amazing father to your child, I wish my parents were like you.

20. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    u r a fantabulous dad. it should not be taken lightly that he chose to come out to u so early. i still havent come out to my supportive parents after 5 yrs of knowing that iwas different from everybody else, and shows how muchtrust he has in u.also, the bullying needs to be taken care of ASAP. i know what its like to be bullied, and me not being able to discuss with my parents y i feel bad all the time only makes me feel worse. the bullying will get worse, as he comes out to more people, and some may be anti-gay. feeling hurt over something u cant control is the wotse kind in my opinion, and having u to help him through it will be a godsend to him. i just want to reiterate that ur doing an awesome job so far.