1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My six year told me he is gay

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by ct2014, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ct2014

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I first off want to say I'm sorry if this is lengthy, I just need someone to talk to!
    My son who is six, in first grade, came home yesterday and said he's going to be gay when he grows up, and marry a boy. He told me a friend(same grade) at school told him about being gay, and that his(the friend's) cousin told him about it, which I'm not sure how to react to either.
    I asked him what does that mean, and he said that this friend also told him that wearing tight underwear is another meaning for gay. I told him that didn't sound appropriate to talk about and that he shouldn't talk about undies at school- and that wasn't what gay meant.
    A little background info, My son already knew that gay meant when two girls or boys like each other- as told to him by his year older cousin recently. My son has also said he wished two boys could get married when he was 3, so this isn't really out of nowhere for me. I feel like he's too young to know these labels, that are sometimes used derogatory, but I can't really change that.

I'm not going to lie, it terrifies me. I'm afraid of him being bullied, and just being treated different or shunned.
    We live near our in-laws, in rural Tennessee, none of them would be kind or understanding if I told them.

I guess I'd just like some advice or support, I don't know how to talk to him about it- or even if I should since he's so young, I'm just so worried for him.

2. E11mum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think he's too young to know what being gay is, after all it can be dealt with very matter-of-factly that it means two boys or two girls loving each other. He's very young but it's not impossibly young to be aware of his sexuality. He knows what being gay means so I think I would be inclined to wait for opportunities to raise the subject rather than seeking it out. I know it's scary but what he needs more than anything is your love and approval.

3. NDark

In my experience, younger kids have no problem with it. When I talked to my (almost) step-brothers about a convoluted love triangle in one of my stories of only girls, they just nodded and didn't think of it as odd. Another kid, when I was talking about some pairings in a TV show and told him about pairings between two boys, just gave me a slightly surprised look but went on to list his own gay pairing ideas. None of those kids, to my knowledge, were gay or previously exposed to gayness, but they had no problem with it.

Actually, if anything, it's the parents that you might need to be cautious of. However, if your son really is gay, then they'll have to get used to the idea. It's like when a disabled kid is in a classroom – over the years, people accept them and stop making fun of them (not to insinuate gay people have a disability). I envy your kid for knowing (possibly) at such a young age. He'll have lots of experience around others with this for when he's older.

4. ct2014

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    thank you for the replies, I feel a little bit better knowing the younger kids in school might not care if he talks about it. I am worried about other parents or relatives.
    I don't know anyone that is gay, or anyone that would accept this about him. I'm even afraid of telling my husband, although honestly I don't feel like he'd care- but the possibility of it bothering him terrifies me. :frowning2:

5. NDark

If he's that young, he's bound to blurt it out at some point. It shouldn't bother your husband – he loves your son no matter what, right? He may not believe it or take him seriously at first, but make sure he doesn't discourage the idea or say that it's bad. You want your son to know that being gay is normal.
    Anyways, being gay is a pretty life-changing thing, so it might be good if you didn't keep it from your husband. Maybe just sit him down, talk to him about it, and go through the journey with this together.

6. ct2014

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you NDark. I will talk to him about it, I'm sure he would be accepting, I am probably just overthinking it.

7. offmychest

offmychest Guest

Hard one. I dony think kids should have labels on them that early or ever really. He is too young to have a label. I also would watch this other kid at school thats feeding him this junk cuz the other kid could start touching and experimenting. I would tell my kid that domt let anyone touch u and to tell someone if a kid tties to touch in a private place or do anything to him. I wouldnt create any phobias about being gay but i also wouldnt push him toward any particular way.

8. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My guess is that his contemporaries at school will not give him a hard time at that sort of age.

He may get bad reactions from classmates at an older age - but by that time he will be more clever about who he tells.

And he may, by that time, have a clearer notion of whether he is gay or straight.
    he may actually develop a attraction for girls in due course

So I would not get too worried for him. Just be there and supportive and keep the conversation going.

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

He sounds really young to be worrying about sexuality (I don't even know truly straight kids at that age), but if he says he is, he probably is.

10. ct2014

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you for the replies and concerns,
    I will try to go over with him about his friend at school, I believe my son would have told me if anything had happened, he's very honest and open- he's also been to the extra classes about inappropriate touching. There's no harm in asking him more about the friend though.

I fear that others finding out his feelings may cause him to lose friends, or family(although I also feel that they can take a hike if they judge him, I just don't want him getting hurt.)
    We live in such a small town, I wish we were in a more accepting area(if that exists).
    Thanks again for the insight everyone!

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try to rephrase things in terms of "liking" others, like saying it's okay if he likes boy or girls (or both).

Though it may be hard, it's actually very useful if his friends are exposed to a gay kid before they've been completely brainwashed with homophobia (which is the real "lifestyle choice"). That way, they begin to see him as a three-dimensional person.

Remember, kids usually look up to their parents as their biggest role models. When their parents are accepting, they will have a lot of courage.

12. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a blogger on HuffingtonPost named Amelia whose son told her he was gay when he was seven. I'd recommend reading the blog.

13. ThePrideInside4

Just explain to him the terms "Lesbian", "Gay", and "Bisexual". Then ask him if he relates to any of the definitions. If he does, then work with that and as he gets older, maybe explain a little more about the LGBTQ community.

14. Candace

You should talk to him more, or at least have him go to a therapist. Just kindly explain to him about being gay, bisexual, lesbian, etc. and see if he falls into one of those categories. Ask him what he feels about each gender.

15. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep your communication with your son open. Make sure he in can talk to you about anything without fear of judgement.

It's not unheard of for children that young to be somewhat sexually aware. It may well be that he isn't gay at all. Make sure he knows that there's nothing wrong with him if he is. As far as relatives and grandparents go, don't go out of your way to bring it up, but if he mentions it, don't be afraid to stand up for your son and defend him against your relatives. He may encounter some bullying at an older age, but just help him to stay strong and be true to himself. Good luck *hugs*

16. Colorful13

Your a great parent for searching for info. two things, his deffinitions of the lables are off and he will understand them better when older. BUT I think that it's like... i dont know... would you question his sexuallity if he liked boys or girls if he said he had a crush on a girl. Probably not. So that is the one thing, but he is a little confused about what being gay actually is and means. Maybe try and ask him how he feels about girls, and how he feels about boys. Hope that helped :/

17. WannaBeMe

Just love him for who he is. If he doesn't have your love he will feel insecure about his sexuality. Lucky for home he understands at such a young age. All I knew was that boys like girls. And I didn't understand why I kept thinking about boys, and I kept trying to like girls. Remember you are the most important person in his life. Just like a lot of people have said before, sit down and have a talk with him about things. He may actually be going through a phase because he knows other people do it too, make sure he knows the difference between bandwagoning and being the real deal.

18. AJ Bee

My 6 year old has also said he wants to marry a boy someday (Which I know hasn't been influenced by my being a lesbian, because he has no idea) In pre-school last year, he had a crush on a boy in his class, and when we read sleeping beauty or any of those stories, he made sure I replaced the names of the prince and princess with him and the other boy. My son is also gender creative (when it comes to gender, he told me he is "some of each").

I have no idea what the future holds, if this is a stage or not .. but I do know that no matter what, he will know he is loved and supported, and that is the most important thing.

19. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's really awesome of you as a parent. I know there are lots of people who just wish their parents would love them for who they really are. That's really the greatest thing you can do for him as he comes to understand himself. Good luck :slight_smile:

20. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since he's only six I would one day talk to him to make sure he really knows what gay is. If he still says he is gay just go with it, since he's so young he could just be copying from the kids at school. Either way I would just support him and time will tell whether he really is or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.