1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importance of Connecting with other LGBTQ kids

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by slestell, Sep 18, 2014.

1. slestell

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Just wanted to report that I took my son (age 12) for the first time tonight to a local youth group for LGBTQ teens. It is for ages 12-18. He has been struggling to find kids like him to connect with and has had some issues with making other boys at school uncomfortable. He is very out and very proud and I love that about him, but in his efforts to connect, he has had some things backfire on him.

Anyway, our local PFLAG chapter (haven't made it to a meeting yet but I plan to) recommended this youth group and it was wonderful. He was very nervous at first when I dropped him off, but by the time I picked him up 2 hours later, he was so happy. He cried on the way home and said he didn't feel like the "weird kid"or like he had to keep part of himself hidden.

The happy look on his face was worth everything to me. I wanted to share our experience because I thought it might help other families with younger kids. I wish I had done this a few weeks ago because my boys seems so much happier tonight.(!)

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are one of the best mothers in the world, and I wish every parent could be as accepting, loving, and wonderful as you.

Kudos to you!

3. slestell

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you but that is no where close to true! I am trying and learning day by day.

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people don't even try. I think that what matters most. :slight_smile:

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are a wonderful mom!

6. Blossom85

That is wonderful to hear, I love hearing about parents who are just so supportive and actively encourage and help their child to be more comfortable in their own skin and with who they are. You are a really good mum and sounds like you are doing a good job.

7. E11mum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have told my daughter about a local LGBT youth group and she knows it is there as an option for her should she want to go. However she is fortunate enough to have a neighbour friend who is a couple of years older than her and also lesbian, plus it seems there may be another (out) lesbian girl in her year at school. So she has some support and understanding close to home. It's great that you took your son to this group and he had such a good time.

8. That's just incredible!

Have no regrets, you're doing EVERYTHING right.

9. ThePrideInside4

I've only met 3 others. I've connected with one of them. She has a crush on me, and we're best friends. I'm hoping I can go to Pride ASAP! I need to meet others! I'm lonely!

---------- Post added 19th Sep 2014 at 07:36 PM ----------

I really wish my mom was like you. I want to tell her and her want to help me connect with others, but I can't tell her. It will crush her. You're probably like, my dream mom! You're amazing! :newcolor: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

10. E11mum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sending you lots of love. I hope your mother surprises you when you do feel able to come out to her.

11. Clay

That was a great thing you did. Honestly brightened up my day.

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  13. Munyal

You are fantastic! I love hearing about parents like you! My parents just semi-ignore it, and I wish they would be active like you. And even if you don't know much, you are trying, and that's important.

14. slestell

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Awwww....Hugs to you. I hope your mother surprises you. Hang in there.

15. WannaBeMe

Everyone is right you are doing a wonderful job at parenting. I wish I could tell my parents, but alas my step-dad is a homophobe and my mom could very possibly end up siding with him on whatever he would do if/when I come out. That's why i'm waiting. But you really are an amazing parent.

16. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    u r a wonderful mom. i can guarantee u that what ur doing matters more than anything in the world. I wish my mom would do something like that for me when i come out to her. considering the fact that i couldnt get her to drive me to my baseball games when i was playing for the sake of looking straight, id say my chances r very slim. i wish that i had a mom like u. at least ur trying to do something good.

17. Praetor

I have to say that really made my day.

What you did, however small it may seem, meant a lot to your son. Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

18. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you don't think what you are doing is special and that you are a good enough mom, I want you to watch a movie called "Prayers for Bobby" to see what can happen when a mom acts the wrong way towards a gay son. Keep doing what you are doing so he knows he has you at his back supporting him and loving him just as he is, and that there is nothing wrong with him.