1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HuffPost video on same sex sleepovers in high school

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by StephenB, Nov 6, 2014.

1. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, if this is not allowed, I apologize upfront. It's nothing inappropriate, it's an interview with a guy that's the leader of his college gay student organization. He's asked about what sleepovers were like in high school. He has some good points, including the legal ramifications (depending on the state), if one teen is 18, and the other is 17, or 17 and 16.

I found it to be a very interesting interview, and I think it has a lot of bearing in this forum. The idea goes back to what I have said in other posts, parents should allow children to date, but restrictions and boundaries are up to the parents. Having informed discussions with your children, based on your states' statutory rape laws and the like isn't a bad idea at all.

HuffPost Live

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really interesting and has a lot of valid points that I've not considered. Most of my experimenting was done when I was 9-12 years old with a similarly aged friend, but he definitely has very valid, concerning points.

Good share.

Side note: I love the design of the room that he's in. It's so colorful... but so plain... Weird.
    [​IMG]

3. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know, I can personally appreciate the legal ramifications. I know when I was 15, the person I experimented with was 2 years younger. It was completely consensual, we were simply best friends fooling around. Looking back we were young and dumb and it could have had long lasting legal ramifications. Of course when you're 15, you don't think about that...

4. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I see where he's coming from, but when I was younger, I had sleepovers with both boy and girls, and I have never done anything untoward with my friends, and I have no intention to. It depends on the person I guess, as long as parents make the rules clear, there shouldn't be a problem :slight_smile:

5. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of all my friends in high school I had sleep overs with, I only fooled around with one. But it does happen, with some people. To act like horny teenagers will never act like horny teenagers is irresponsible. That is not to imply everyone does, but it does happen.

6. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Never had anything other than necessary sleepovers for party emergencies or game stuff . When i was 17 my g f would stay over and both sets of parents were "obliviously" cognizant of the fact that we weren't gaming . I'm not really getting the difference about the negative ramifications for same sex messing around and heterosexual messing around. If a parent is not cool with something sexual having happened at a "sleepover" I'm fairly sure the consequences could be the same , regardless of the genders that were intertwined. It's the same with the age difference( Something I'm hyper aware of right now). Whether the situation is same sex or hetero if a parent wants to go ballistic the shit will hit that proverbial fan and blow all over the place .

7. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are largely correct, Krisluwe. If a parent dislikes you and wants to make your life hell, with the age difference, there is that potential regardless of the sex / sexuality of the people involved.

That being said, there are a few states where age of consent is 16 for heterosexuals, and 18 for homosexuals. Or where the law specifically only applies to heterosexual couples, where maybe if one partner is over 15, but the other is 17 or under, it's legal, if they're straight. Again, there are a couple of these situations where that changes if you're gay.

I'll see if I can't track down some examples later. I saw an old Penn & Teller Bullshit episode a few years ago that dealt with such issues. I'll find it and post it later.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In Christian circles, parents think nothing happens at same sex sleepovers. I used this to my advantage to discover my future friend with benefits would be into trying stuff.

9. 741852963

The same here, I can't really relate to this as when I was that age (teens) I was completely oblivious to boys and girls sexually or romantically - zero experimenting here. Sleepovers were just sleepovers - alcopops, junk food and bad films.

That being said I get the points about having equal age of consent, and the problems of statutory rape when you have two kids narrowly either side of the consent border who are fooling around. It is stupidly dangerous for kids who do experiment because of these factors

Thank you for helping me towards achieving my recommended daily allowance of Nathan Fillion.