1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little sibling came out to me, and I realized I know next to nothing about gender

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by redpoppies, Nov 14, 2014.

1. redpoppies

Hi there!

So my little sister(sibling?) came out to me last night as "not a girl, not a boy, but a person". She (I'll refer to her as her, because right now those are her preferred pronouns), like me, isn't really educated on gender so right now she's told me she's just pretty confused about it all. I gave her the terms agender and androgyne but I know there's much more. She's 14 and the fact she even brought this up makes me think that she really means it. She has also expressed interest in getting a binder, after I told her that was was a thing.

Right now she's only told me, because we're pretty close and I'm out as bisexual to everyone.
    My parents are really open minded, and they've always included the small thing of 'or girlfriend of course' when talking about partners even since we were really little. However, I know they don't fully understand gender and view these kinds of things as 'odd', so it would take some time for them to understand but they would probably take it well.

I'm just really unsure on all of this right now, but I've done my best to be accepting (I told her that this was perfectly fine, and there were other people who felt this way even if I didn't know much about it).

So basically I want to help her try and figure stuff out, but right now I'm pretty clueless. Of course I can't tell her exactly what she is, but at least I want to try to give her the resources to find out, if that makes any sense.

2. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're in the right place. There are so many people on here who can help you out.

My advice would be to just be cool with whatever she tells you. If you don't understand something, say so. "I don't really understand, but I'll be by your side anyways" is one of the best things someone who's struggling with coming out can hear. Don't try to tell her things she might be or suggest potential labels; that can just add more stress or make her think you're trying to force her into something she's not.

Feel free to message me on here if you want to chat, and I'm sure someone more helpful than me will be around shortly!

3. Alive

I have to agree with SwimScotty here. Just letting her know that you support her no matter what helps a great deal. Don't have her think too much about labels but have her concentrate on what feels right to her. Like if she wants to change her clothing style, bind, cut her hair... support her in that. She is confused enough as it is and having people who care around ger makes a world of a difference. I would say that she needs to tell your parents about this as well. It will give them an idea as to what is going on and they can be really helpful.

4. Ryujin

Okay, first, good for you on being supportive, as you probably know, coming out is hard so you need to support your sibling.

Second, perhaps recommend EC to her, there's a fair few non-binary people on here who could provide help.

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look at this:
    Breaking Through the Binary: Gender Explained Using Continuums
    and this:
    Am I
    and this:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/150966-androgyne-identity.html#14

The tg spectrum goes i.e. from people living with almost androgynous appearance, to styling more like the preferred gender, to taking hormones, etc.
    Of course the list is not all possible options.
    It's up to you to collect further information...
    You might also for example talk to a gender therapist or someone from an lgbt center, if that's what you want.

I would do things I'm comfortable with, don't feel pressured to do something... its your decision...
    There is no only one right way to do this.
    Its your choice what you want to do... and it can be fun along the way...

If you have questions, just ask...

(*hug*)

#5 jay777, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is really a lot of information... you don't have to go through it all... just take your time...
    and if you have further questions, just ask, many people like to help...
    (*hug*)

7. David21201

youre a good person. tell ger you support her, and hell get her a binder for X-mas (or whatever u celebrate)

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

she's lucky to have you to turn to, and you're lucky that she has placed her confidence in you. what a wonderful sister relationship. lots of good, solid advice in this thread. Just keep loving her, and as long as you act from love, compassion, understanding and keep listening with open ears and an open heart, I don't think you can go wrong.

9. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    Simple! Just accept them for who they are!

10. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow, you and your sib are the exact opposite of me and mine! My little sister is bi and I'm gq!

If you want to help your sib, just let them figure it out, give them resources or go shopping with them or whatever but you don't have to do all the work. I understand how it is from the older sibling perspective, you want to navigate the road ahead and make sure the path is clear and safe but it's better to figure these things out on our own and over time.

Definitely introduce her (you said feminine pronouns right?) to EC.

11. Wildside

Wildside Guest

wow, that is a powerful thought! and so true. each and every one of us have to figure out our own path that we are going to walk. as much as we love someone, we can't do it for them. it just doesn't work that way. but we can support them and love them along the way, and let them know in a thousand million ways that we love and support them.(*hug*)