1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help! Gay/Aspergers son jumping the gun

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by turtlemom, Nov 17, 2014.

1. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello everyone,

I will try to get to the point and make this brief as possible. Im a mom and our 19 yr old son started an online relationship, (which is fine with us). This is his first relationship. In fact he doesnt even have a close gay friend his age. My opinion is that he feels like he better get in a relationship with the first gay person his age that he meets because he doesnt know anyone else. Ok, so that probably sounds pretty typical to most of you and even for many young people gay or not they want to jump into a relationship and start saying I love you in the first two weeks. Ok, I can live with that. However, things moved very fast to the point they talk about future plans of moving in together. First of all we live over 18 hr drive from this person. His friend is in dire straights, he has no family that will help him. He is on SSI and just got his first apt. He loaned a "friend" 700 dollars and didnt get paid back. Now he is with no money for rest of month. His case manager is helping him find resources to help him. My son wants to hurry and find a job to help him. Yes, the job thing is fine and he only wants to get part time since he is going to college. He also has Aspergers (high functioning Autism). What I would like some help with today are some words to use when my husband and I talk to our son to let him know our concerns and want him to take a step back so to speak. I know it will be a very delicate topic since my son is sooooo excited about this relationship. I just need to keep it organized? I dont want to bounce all over the place, I need to be direct with respect and not come across negative as my son would probably see it. Maybe no matter how well I word it, he will think we are negative anyway. But maybe if I watch what I say and how I say it then it wont seem so bad to our son. He knows we are supportive of him in every way Im just hoping after we talk to him, he will digest it and and take a step back. I guess meaning, rethink about the moving in together. Its soooo early in the relationship. This friend of his is so needy right now, that even I as an adult couldnt take on his needs....no way. He has pstd, anxiety, depression, suicidal tendencies ect. My son has Asperers, he is struggling as it is. Thank you for taking time to read this.

2. Aldrick

Rather than simply approaching him with your concerns, why not approach him with honest and sincere questions? As a nineteen year old, he is legally an adult, and there is not much you can do to stop him. Despite being a LEGAL adult, he is still a teenager--so coming on too strongly could actually have the opposite effect of what you desire. Sometimes a light touch and gentle guidance is better than a heavy hand.

Rather than having a "talk" with your son, ask him how things are going. Show that you are happy that he is in a relationship, and are glad that he is meeting people. Then actually listen to what he has to say--listen very closely. It is likely that as you just have a casual conversation about his life and his relationship, he is going to leave subtle clues about concerns he might be having. When you catch one of those clues, just draw attention to it by asking a question. If you have trouble there, draw upon your own life experiences, for example: "When your father and I first moved in together... <blah...blah...blah...> So if you are planning to move in with him, have you both discussed how the bills will be paid?"

Right now, your son is floating high on love chemicals in the brain. As a result, he likely is not planning that far out ahead, and he is just taking big leaps. Help him see the details he is overlooking, by drawing attention to them.

The good thing about hiding your concerns in the form of a question, is that it does not feel like you are TELLING him what to think or do. You are just asking a simple question. By doing it this way, he is going to have the sense that HE is the one making the decisions. He is going to feel like these are his choices, even though you sort of gently guided him in the right direction.

My primary concern with having a formal "talk" with him is that he is simply going to get angry with you, and that any legitimate concerns you bring up are going to fall on deaf ears. When dealing with sticky situations like this, the indirect and subtle way is always the best.

...and of course, your son is going to make mistakes. You cannot shield him from life. He is going to have good relationships and bad relationships, and hopefully his bad relationships will teach him the necessary lessons he needs to know in order to make the good relationships even better. Making mistakes is just part of growing up and life in general.

3. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Aldrick, your son will make mistakes. Those mistakes will break his heart. They may hurt his bank account. But he will make them. He will have fantastic relationships, and ones that are less so. It's part of growing up.

Being gay can be, and can seem, quite lonely. When you're 19 and have the world ahead of you, finding someone you click with, is amazing.

You may want to sit him down and ask him about the situation. Try to talk through it, but don't try to dominate the conversation. Hopefully he'll decide what is right for him, and hopefully that decision will be the one you want. But be prepared that it may not be. He's 19. If he decides to go through with this, there's not much you can do. Just be there if and when things fall through, just like with any kid.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I hope everything works out :slight_smile: .

4. kumawool

At the end of the day, there isn't a lot you can do to shield your son from relationships and associated pain. You can, and should, explain and talk about what he's getting into. Discuss supports for his relationship, like mental health resources as required, and LISTEN, because he may have a lot to talk about. With aspergers, it's especially important, since he's going to have difficulty concisely and clearly articulating his own feelings.

If he does pursue the relationship, it may not work out, and it may end poorly. As a parent, make sure that's it is clear that you are there to support your son. If he falls hard, and is in significant trouble, he needs to know he always has someone to turn to - you.

Also, the very nature of online relationships is scary. But, if your son wants it, you would be surprised. My best friend through highschool had an online, long distance relationship, and I never expected it to work out. It's lasted for 3 years, and at the current stage, her and her boyfriend live together, with him working, and her in university. The amount both of them have grown is very impressive, and I suspect their relationship will grow into marriage. The difference here: She hid her relationship for a year and a half from her parents! You are very fortunate to have a good relationship with your son, and I hope you capitalize on it!

You may want to stress that your son needs to focus on school, and getting into post secondary for a good future and career, depending on what his goals/abilities are. It may turn out that his boyfriend is a major source to stress for him, and you may find yourself helping your son to find solutions for his boyfriend. I would let him make the decisions, but offering input with strengthen a lot of his communication skills, and help him in his relationships now and later.

Reflective listening may help you in these conversations with your son;
    Reflective listening - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As the brother of someone with Asperger's, it is a lot different than dealing with someone who is 19 with higher emotional intelligence. I am not in any way trying to malign someone with the condition; it is just the facts. I fully support my brother, but I have seen the challenges he faces.

I would first ask, how independent is your son? Can he drive? Does he setup medical appointments and schedule his day? Has he made poor decisions regarding relationships in the past(platonic)? Everyone is not the same on the spectrum, and this is why I ask. I would worry about your son if I was a parent too. Does your son face depression and suicidal tendencies himself?

6. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you Aldrick that was great advice and things for me to think about. It really helps having someone else outside of the situation look at things more objectively. It went very well, somehow it went almost like you said. Only I could have asked a bit more. I think my son and I had somewhat of a miscommunication. He was calm and agreed on things I explained to him. I tried very hard not to be long winded. He clarified and said that no he wasnt planning on moving in with him anytime soon, that he knows he is in no positon to do that. He was just saying hypothetically in a few yrs (if) they were still in a relationship then they might move in together. Anyway it went very well and if fact he called his friend to make sure they were both on the same page. I explained to him to be very careful and never mislead a person. He understood. So I think thats why he called his friend right away because he doesnt want to hurt anyone. Anway thank you so much and I will re-read your reply so I can use that adivce on other things in the future. Thanks :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 17th Nov 2014 at 09:39 PM ----------

Thanks so much StephenB! You can read the reply I sent to Aldrick too. I just wanted to let you know things went very well, it wasnt as bad as I was thinking it might be as far as my son taking it that far. Thanks so much!:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 17th Nov 2014 at 09:42 PM ----------

Yes, that was good advice, very helful. You rock! Thanks kumawool :slight_smile:

7. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    hey turtlemom, i know what its like to deal with people that have autizm and other disorders like it because i have a cousin that is a mute autistic. like others have said just guid him slowly and try not to be assertive, and try to act ( in future situations) genuinly intrested and curious. whenever i speak (or sign speek) with my little cousin i always try to just ask him questions and find out what he means, wants, or needs.

8. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi bigguy8, thanks for your time, I appreciate everyone taking time to reply. I know there must be a lot of people here and much to read. As I relied to everyone else it all went very well. I think I did a pretty good job since I hadnt even read everyones replies yet. The timing just worked out that way. But none of this is too late because this story will continue and many more like it Im sure and I need all the help I can get, I say that because I want to do my best and learn more so I can be a better mom. There is always room for improvement. You hit the nail on the head... (challenges). And yes it can be so very different for everyone even though they share so many symptoms/traits.
    yes he can drive but it has been a slow process compared to neuro typical person. It is limited. He drives in town, we live in a city with over 32,000 for population. So not too big and not real small. He is very aware of his limitations and many other struggles. He just started college this last Aug. The college is under 10 min from out home. He does quite well with friendships. He has had a lot of practice. We started that in kindergarten. Then when he was about 14 he started going to the comic book store, I know just like big bang theory lol but its true. he plays Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic cards. He went there several times a week for about 4 yrs. So he formed good friendships there. He has always had many friends to our home on a reg basis. As far as depression, thats a tricky one. He can go kind of deep but most of the time when he does it is very short lasted. About 3 months a go he developed love feelings for a straight friend and he shared that with his friend. His friend was really cool about it and sensitive to his feelings. However, I learned from my husband before our son told his friend he talked about cutting himself and told his dad not to tell me. As far as we know that is the only time he had those thoughts because thats what he told his dad. As Im sure you know, Aspergers symptoms/traits can wax and wane over time and that has been true for our son. He started to tell us a couple of yrs a go about his concerns he had about ever living on his own. I know its better but I also know they are still real concerns he has. He validated that today. So yes, this is a big part of why its more delicate and I want to do my best. Every time I have posted a thread here asking for adivice, ok maybe this is the second time Im not sure but everyone that replies are so wise and sensitive and articulative. I have read other threads and always see a lot of helpful info. Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate your time. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 17th Nov 2014 at 10:18 PM ----------

Hey, thanks Awesome_trans_girl. I get what you mean. This has all been very helpful. Everything worked out great with my son. He was really cool and listened and I even told him sometimes I struggle with what I want to say especially since Im a mom and I want to choose and pick the right words. I dont want to come across negative or non supportive. You have a great day! :slight_smile:

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You've done a great job in communicating with him. I'm glad that you caught him at the right time and that you are both on the same page. :slight_smile: This is the best thing that you can do is let your child express his feelings because they may change or he wasn't able to explain himself as well as he had hoped. Bravo.

10. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi bigguy8, maybe you would have some thoughts on this other thing.... my son goes to the GSA at the college. So far he hasnt made any friendships there. He did say there is one nice girl there that he has talked to a bit. He said it gets loud in there and that is a struggle for him ( loud noises). Can you think of any suggestions on what I could suggest to him to connect a little more. For ex: maybe encourage him and remind him to chat a bit more with this girl and maybe they could exchange FB info or something. Its so hard for me to get a good pic of whats going on in there because all he says is that its loud and the last few Mondays when they met, they were discussing future plans for some kind of activities. I will try to find out more. I think he said there were about 15 people. I will ask again. If you cant think of much thats ok. thanks

11. biroautistic

People with Asperger's just want to be able to express themselves in their own way, without allistic people interfering. How would I know?

I have Asperger's, and I know that I have questioned myself for the longest time. First, my religion, then my gender, and, lastly, my orientation.

He will find out, in one way or another, that he is, or is not, gay. Just encourage relationships closer to home instead of ones between countries--contact initiation between Aspies and the world is crucial. Whether the person is male, female, or something else, it is imperative that social interaction is face-to-face whenever possible.

This is why my parents will not let me have online relationships, at least, not until I am old enough to move away.

I'll check back here later tomorrow; it is past my allotted time.

12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is solid advice.

In addition, I would say invite a few people over for a birthday party or maybe a holiday gift exchange from the GSA.

13. worried67

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Turlemom, from one mother to another we want to protect our children no matter what they age is. Honestly I know online dating seems to be the big thing now but it scares me. How long have they been dating? How well do you know this man? I don't mean to scare you but honestly I wouldn't like it if it were my son, The bad thing is, is you can only tell him what you think and how you feel, he probably is going to do what he wants anyways (I know because I have one about the same age lol) Have you talked to both him and his partner together? This is the hard part of being a parent is we have to let them make mistakes on there own which is very very hard.

14. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thats a great idea and I normally would but cant anytime soon. We just moved into this house over a month a go and its been one issue after another. I mean major repairs. We were going to start remodeling the huge basement for his gaming room but we had a major set back with the plumbing. Real good thoughts though. Thank you

---------- Post added 26th Nov 2014 at 08:44 PM ----------

biroautistic, thanks for taking time to message. Im sorry Im just now getting back on here. Its Wed the 26th. I hadnt been feeling well for one and for two lots of things going on with the house. i know what your talking about the face to face thing. Our son does have plenty of friends that are straight, but I know he really needs and wants that connection with other people that are gay as well. Also he has really had the desire to have a relationship for some time now. So this online thing seems to satisfy him for now. I did share with him that I know him and feel that he is more the kind of person that really needs the in person connection. I also know this is something he wanted to do since he hasnt met anyone in person that is gay. This is the next best thing. For now I think its pretty harmless and makes him happy. We are keeping close tabs on him, meaning we check in with him often, things seem to be ok.

15. melbournian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As your son is just about to break into the new world of adulthood and free will. He WILL make mistakes. He will make many mistakes like everyone else including you. As a parent all you can do is to guide them on a path from the moment when they were born. There were struggles and hardships. But at the end of the day you made the big decisions. But tommorow he will now make his own decisions. He will learn from them. But teach him and make him understand whatever he wants to do. He needs to own up to it and not blame anyone. I am also saying this to not blame yourself if anything goes wrong. You are not responsible for his entire life. You are a parent not a puppeteer. If he falls make sure you are there to catch him. That is the best thing any parent can do.