1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I talk to parents about LGBT?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by mangotree, Dec 17, 2014.

1. mangotree

After reading a recent article about a wonderful parent who is completely accepting and proud of her 10 year old gay son, it got me thinking.

Often when I hear friends and/or workmates saying things like "When my son grows up and has a girlfriend", I really want to say "or boyfriend" - but I know that will come across as rude and/or offensive.

I don't want to be one of these non-parents who is telling parents how to parent, but I want people to know how damaging it can be for a LGBT child to grow up thinking that heterosexuality is the ONLY way to be.

So if there's any parents reading this, how would you recommend talking about this (if at all)?

2. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    Just ask "and if they didn't have a girlfriend? Of course, homophobic people will consider you rude for even suggesting that, so...

3. shinji

shinji Guest

Just say something like "Yeah, I'm sure they will indeed find someone who they can be with, life is full of surprises".

I question why you even feel the need to say anything. It's not like, whatever you say, will change anything.

4. mangotree

You never know.
    When you plant a seed, often a flower will grow.

5. soulcatcher

Subliminal messages will not work on heterosexist people.

6. Haim

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a big leap from thinking a child will likely conform to societal norms to being homophobic. My parents said similar things, and could not have been more accepting when I came out to them. Growing up I had a lot more exposure to LGTB culture than my parents generation, and I know the generation following on from me has even more exposure.

7. mangotree

Thanks, I hadn't thought of it that way.
    This up coming generation will be a lot more accepting, regardless of their parents.

Not long after I posted this, I saw this Ellen interview.
    [YOUTUBE]ug3-Q7eLSz4[/YOUTUBE]
    "You'll be smooching with whoever you want to be smooching with when you grow up."

So I guess we just need to care about the children first and then the parents second.