1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I selfish?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by LittleGecko, Feb 1, 2015.

1. LittleGecko

LittleGecko Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I've always suspected my little brother is gay or bi, there have been lots of little signs. And the other day he said a little boy in his class is cute. I have nothing against him being gay, seeing as I'm a lesbian, but I don't want him to go through all the bullying and discrimination I have. Is it really selfish of me to hope he's straight? We live in a very narrow minded community, and he's already been picked on for his long hair and love of dolls.:confused: I'll love my brother no matter what, but I still kinda hope he's straight. And if he is gay, how can I protect and defend my baby brother? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Sh1f73r

Let him come out when he is ready, just stand up for him, in case religious discrimination comes, watch "Fish Out of Water" and use that to stand up for him as well.Word of wisdom:"Haters Gonna Hate"
    God makes no mistakes, don't hope that your brother is something he isn't, just accept him eventually people will accept him.

3. LittleGecko

LittleGecko Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Sh1f73r! I'll try.

4. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's natural to wish for an easier life for your loved ones. But having an "easy" life would be no guarantee he'd be any more happy or fulfilled. His best chance at a good life is to be able to who he is and have those he loves support him 100% in that.

5. LittleGecko

LittleGecko Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks gogreen. I agree.

6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not selfish. You don't want him to be gay because you don't want him to be discriminated against; that's a wish for him rather than for yourself.

Good luck, both of you!

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think that's normal if you've dealt with discrimination yourself.

Keep in mind he could still turn out straight as my brother also showed feminine traits as a kid, but he isn't gay now. And if he is gay, just give him your support. Even though it might be hard, It'll be harder for him to have no support at all.

8. LittleGecko

LittleGecko Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay fallingdown. I'll love and support my brother no matter what, and yeah he might turn out straight, seeing as he's too young to know what being "gay" really means.

9. TraceElement

I don't consider it being selfish, but loving him so much you don't want to see him hurt.

10. Wildside

Wildside Guest

it's not selfish to wish whatever you want. when my mother was pregnant, my sister was wishing for a little sister. when I was born male, there was nothing left to do but accept the fact that she had a little brother. So for now, wish whatever you wish. And then when it's clear that he is straight, or gay, or something else, accept it and be the loving, supporting big sister, like mine was. and as far as bullying goes, you know how that happens to people for all kinds of reasons, not just for being gay, and it is always wrong! I'm glad that you want to protect your brother from being bullied. That is a wonderful thing!

11. LittleGecko

LittleGecko Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks guys!

12. FrenchKid98

I agree with what has been said, it's not selfish, it actually shows how much you love him and don't want him to be hurt.

Also, I don't know how much younger your little brother is, but we can hope that by the time he reaches his teenage years, the situation for LGBT+ youth will be even better