1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my little brother GAY (HE'S 8!)?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by AdverseYaw, Feb 12, 2015.

1. AdverseYaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These are the signs that make me susicious:
    1. My little brother had confessed to me that he kissed another boy when he was 6 and liked it. He even told me he wanted to marry the boy one day. 2. I saw him playing on The Sims using "romantic" (kissing, flirting, and hugging) interactions with other males (that were based from his 'boyfriends' at school).
    3. He told me he has a lot of boyfriends that were "very good looking" and he hugs and kisses on the mouth.
    4. Once, he saw an advertisement on IMVU (I hate those sick ads) with a heterosexual couple making out and he said it was disgusting. The girl dressed in provocative clothing was also labelled as 'disgusting'.

Don't get me wrong, I love my little brother. I am bisexual myself and believe that gender is irrelevant in love itself. It's just that my family is highly homophobic and believes homosexuality leads to colorblindness, AIDS, STDs and ridiculous **** like that. Once they find out, they will try "therapy" to "correct" him.

2. Sos13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would ask him about it since you cant really decide with just evidence alone :lol: , although. .. he is only 8 so im not sure

3. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well haha I think in any scenario you should support him and not try to scare him from being himself.

Don't pressure him, he'll come to you when he knows for sure.

4. AdverseYaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't believe my brother is so young and can still express an interest in members of the same gender. In fact, he told me there was one time when the teacher found out he was kissing the other boy on the mouth. The teacher told them if they did that again, the police could come and get them.

Is the teacher being homophobic? I think that is a really cruel way, scaring them to get them to stop. Also, I will NEVER tell my parents much about this. They would think I was the one that influenced his decision to be gay/bisexual, put all the blames on me THEN disown me. I hate homophobic people, damn.

5. guitar

Your little brother shows obvious signs of being gay, and I know people who knew they were gay as early as 4. With that said, until puberty really kicks in, who knows? Anything can happen.

I feel sad for the both of you given your home life and - as you describe it - a lack of familial support. I am glad to hear that you're looking to support him and are open minded about his sexuality, should he indeed be gay. Stay strong and support him but give him time. (*hug*)

6. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    IMO 8 is too young for a person to know what their sexuality is. He could very well be gay or it could just be a phase (for want of a better word).

As an anecdote, one of my (straight) guy friends was telling me the other day about how he used to think he was gay when he was in primary school because he found all the chubby boys in his class really cute. All he wanted to do was cuddle and kiss them lol. He's never even experimented with guys and that "phase" just passed.

It's unfortunate the way your family is about this but at least he has you :slight_smile:

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He could just think girls are "icky", but I'd give it time.

8. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The teacher is being extremely homophobic, cruel and unprofessional, especially since he/she is scaring a young student that is still learning social stuff. In my country, that can (and should) be denounced.

I'm not sure if 8's too young, but, anyway, it's good to know he has you to support him.

9. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I dont think 8 year olds being romantically interested in people is weird at all. Thats the age I started having serious crushes. I was in love with girls at that age and told them I would kiss them if I were a boy and I made my friends play games with me where I was a boy and pretended to be their boyfriend etc. Some people even have boyfriends/girlfriends in kindergarten lol.

You shouldnt ask him about it though, even if he IS gay he probably wouldnt know about it at that age. Little kids should not be asked questions like that, they need to figure it out on their own. He's too young, when the time comes and he realizes hes just he'll tell you. Just make sure he knows he can come to you.

10. lyjo

Well my little brother is the same age, and he says he thinks it's ok to be gay at any age. :grin: He also said that he prefers girls. Kids are too cute! The point is, just because he's young doesn't mean he can't know whether or not he's straight or gay. As said in the previous comments, let him figure it out. When he's ready, he'll probably tell you. I hope your parents could be more open-minded, but don't worry too much for now. :slight_smile:

11. indiqo

I have heard of many children this age having those feelings toward same-sex and opposite sex.

I understand why you would be so concerned. it is a difficult thing when parents are like this. it's no wonder you would want to protect him.

perhaps talk with him more about it when he mentions it again. also if anyone has not had this conversation with him yet, perhaps the it's your body and your choice conversation needs to happen, to make him aware of the control he has over who he allows to have physical contact with him. and how he can recognise if someone is doing something wrong toward him in this way.

I think the teacher was very unfair. this could greatly impact a child this young.

12. Clay

He is giving the signs that he might be gay, but he's also young, so who knows. I mean he might just not like girls because he's below puberty.

I'd say tell him that he can speak to you. Or well, make it clear that if he does like boys he can always tell you. It's safe for him to speak to you, you're not like your family.