1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Husband wants to be a woman

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Puddincakes, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Puddincakes

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have tried a couple different sites before trying this one. I just don't know what to do. Every site I go to frowns upon me and says things to spite me. I know I'm not good with words a lot of times but I can't be that bad that people would lash out at me.

I have been married to my husband for two years now, we dated for a year before that and have known each other a total of 4 years. I love them to the end of the world and back. She recently came out to me as wanting to be my wife. At first I didn't know how to react. I shrugged it off and said it was whatever. I'd love her no matter what. But I have never been in this situation before. I've dated women before, but there was a reason I stopped dating them. It just wasn't for me. It was fun, and I loved each and every one of them, but I just couldn't see myself growing old with a woman.

As I type this, tears fall from my cheeks. I feel so stupid and selfish. I feel lost and ashamed. I don't want to leave her. I want to be with her till death do us part. But I don't know If I can stay after the transition. I keep telling myself she won't change. She's the same person and always will be. But at night, when we lay together I cry. I don't know why. One day I feel like everything will be ok. I can do this. WE can do this. But then the next day I'm on another support site trying to find help. I've talked to her about it and she tells me she won't do any of it. She will stay a man for me. But I will NOT let her do that. I cannot let her deny herself for me. I want her to be happy. I need her to be happy. She is my everything But it doesn't feel right sometimes.

I hate myself for the thoughts I have. People tell me "love is love, she will be the same person why would you think of leaving?" I don't have the answer. I don't want to I'm just so damn confused. I know she's hurting and I don't want that for her. Am I so terrible of a person?

One person even told me to "go fuck myself and just get the damn divorce over with." That one hurt the most. So how can that hurt me yet I have doubts that it will work out?? I feel like if I had known before we got married that I would feel different. I'd have at least come into the marriage knowing how she felt. Not years later when I'm thinking of having children. We can't afford operations AND kids. But that's a whole different story all together. I'm lost, confused, and don't have anyone to talk to. I don't want her to worry about me. She already has so much to worry about as it is. Please. Someone give me advice, kind words, anything.

2. wolf of fire

My apologies firstly because I am terrible at this sort of thing and secondly because this probably not going to make sense.
    I can see why this is hard for you but I am going to give you the same advice I would give most couples: focus on the positive not the negative and simply see what happens, your sexualities may cause issues but love is always a gamble all you can do is roll the dice and hope for the best. I wish you and your wife luck with everything.

3. Drednaught

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're a very kind and understanding person to let the wife you love be herself regardless the amount of stress, sorrow and confusion you're feeling right now. Seriously, you are amazing, and I think what you're trying to do for her is wonderful.

Now, I know it must be very hard for you, and you must feel really lost right now, but I think you should also see what she is trying to do for you as well. She was willing to stay a man to be with you. You shouldn't be worried at all whether or not you're going to stay together. If you want to stay together and she wants to as well, then there's no reason at all as to why you shouldn't be able to. You can work this out together, and there's nothing wrong with also getting a little bit of help from others. I know I'm only a teenager saying this, but what it really comes down to is if you're both willing to stay and make this work, and I think you already know what you want to do. I'm really sorry you have to go through this. I really hope this helped. Best of luck! (*hug*)

#3 Drednaught, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  4. PossumJack

First of all, you are an amazing person to be trying so hard to support your partner, and you should know that it's normal to feel this way. In all honesty, you are doing a GREAT job so far and sadly most people would not even try to understand the other person's feelings when put in your shoes. When someone important in our lives announces their transition, we often go through the five stages of grief before coming to terms with it. In a sense, you are "losing" her, or rather the perception of her as a husband, and it's normal, even healthy to grieve that. It would actually be weirder if you didn't feel some kind of emotional turmoil.

It's not my place to say what you should do, because that's your choice. From a trans person's perspective, however, I just want to say that the fact she is willing to stay male for your sake shows just how much she cares for you. From what you posted, I feel like you two really love each other and I truly believe you have to strength to pull through this.

A woman named Diane Daniel went through a similar experience when her husband decided to transition from male to female, and she runs a blog documenting her experience. I know it's not much but I just want you to know that you're not alone in this. Stay strong, and I wish you and your partner the best of luck (*hug*)

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It seems to me you guys love each other, but you are terrified of the future. Also you clearly said, you don't want to be with a woman.

You need to be honest with her. I understand you don't want to hurt her, but you do want her to be happy. I'm not sure this is going to be good for any of you on the long run.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I would have probably been in your wife's position, and I know my partner would have never wanted to be with a man, so I'm sure he would have left me at some point. Children were often a topic too, and clearly he wasn't going to get them from me, not in a million years...

So... He would have left me, as soon as he knew about the real me. Being human, my first reaction would have been feeling hurt, but I know later I would have been thankful to him for being honest, even when honesty hurts.

So this is my answer. Think about it. To love someone is both to enjoy and suffer, depending on the circumstances. If you really love her, you'll tell her about how you really feel.

Talk to her.

6. Clay

It's normal to feel what you're feeling. I don't really understand why people would be so hateful towards you over perfectly valid fears or things to get upset over.

Ultimately I don't have any advice I could give, but this place is a lot more helpful that whatever sites you visited last.

7. theskyiseverywhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First of all, than you. Thank you for being such a beautiful and kind-hearted person for accepting her. A lot of people would just pack their bags and go. Also, I am so sorry about how conflicted you feel. Many people feel like you do; not knowing who they are or what they feel. All LGBT people most likely have felt it at one point. But please, do not feel like you have to label yourself. Don't feel like you need to say "I'm bisexual" or "I'm a lesbian". What you're feeling is completely normal.

About your spouse. Again, you are handling this situation so well. I think that you just need to sit down with her and talk. Convince her that she needs to change, because she is in the wrong body. See what she wants to do regardless of what you feel. I think when you know exactly what she wants you will be able to talk about the future of your relationship. I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

8. Lazuri

I don't think you're terrible. The fact that you've had no luck on other sites and gotten these spiteful responses on them make literally no sense to me.

You have been much, much more understanding than most other unions where one part came out as trans.

And you need to realize that people need to be selfish to be alright. People like to say that "all you need is love" but that's idealistic crap that doesn't really stand up in reality. If a relationship makes you feel bad for any reason, there's no shame in breaking it. Obviously it's best to try and find solutions first, but sometime's there aren't any.

It's still early and you don't know how it will eventually feel so I count three options now. The first is to break up, obviously, because as it is now at least one of you will be unhappy--you'll be unhappy for the reasons you listed if she transitions and she'll be unhappy if she's forced to stay a man for you. The second alternative is to wait and see how it will actually feel before making decisions, but you risk getting more attached as time goes along. The third alternative is to try and compromise; make some sacrifices so she can be happy and she'll do the same for you until you find a middle ground where you both are content.

It might sound a bit dickish, but I'm being a bit logical and calculating here, as I am wont to do, and I just want you both to avoid living your entire lives repressing something or other. Sometimes you need to make hard decisions. Besides, even if you break up you can remain the best of friends.

9. Aldrick

I agree with Lazuri.

There is nothing wrong with the way you are feeling. It is important that you both find a way to be happy.

My advice is to seek couples therapy. This is a complicated situation, and you both need a professional to help guide you through this period in your life. It is important that whoever you decide on is trans* positive and affirming.

If you decide that your relationship will not work out, this does not mean the end of your love and support for one another. It does not mean the time you spent together is wasted. You both can still be amazingly close to one another, and you can be there for every step of her transition. A separation or a divorce does not have to be an ugly affair where people end up hating each other. It is just an acknowledgement that the relationship as it currently stands is not going to work out, but that does not mean that the love, support, and everything else you have built has to be tossed out the window. It just means that you both are transitioning to different places in your life, and you are trying your best to support each other as you each travel your own journey.

You can still have "until death do us part" without being legally married and in a romantic and sexual relationship.

10. Taylor1985

Take a step back. Think. Make lists. Write it out. It works. When my boyfriend and I got together I had NO idea that he was contemplating transitioning. When it finally came out, I felt suffocated. I had to step back, breathe, and realize I cared about the person inside, and her happiness means more to me than anything. All problems have solutions. The concern, is what you're willing to accept. Mind you, we have been together 5 months. 5 short, amazing, eye opening, beautiful months. She has opened my eyes to figure out where, and who I may be. If you need someone to talk to, feel free to message me. This is a very difficult and trying time.

11. Puddincakes

Out Status:
    Some people
    First off I want to thank each and every one of you. I've thought a lot about what you've all told me and you've all helped me in your own ways.

Thank you so much for your kind words. You really put things into perspective. I AM losing him. But I'm gaining a beautiful woman to take his place. One that can better represent the wonderful being that she is. As for the 5 stages, I just hope this grief stage passes fast.
    As for the article, I've actually been looking for a blog by someone in a similar situation as me.

Thank you for this. This one hurt the most because I came to the realization that no matter what, we will get through this. I love her and no physical changes will make me leave her. Thank you again for this side of the situation.

I thought a lot about this post in particular. When I talked to her the other day, she mentioned going through the hormone treatment, breast implants, all those other things to make herself feminine, but stopping at the belt line; At least for a while. I told her that would work.

See, when I think of the whole transition, genitals, long hair, boobs, dresses, makeup, perfume... I start to get overwhelmed. I start to freak out and go inside myself to hide. But this process isn't going to happen all at once. I wont wake up and find a fully developed woman laying next to me lol. It takes time, enough time for me to get used to the ideas.

When I think of it one step at a time, it makes sense. Ok we start with this, then we add a little of this, sprinkle in some extra stuff and eventually we end up with this result. It's less stressful.

Which brings me to the compromise point you brought up. For now, we've both decided that she will go through with the hormones, I'll help her with her hair and makeup and all the small things. It's going to take a long time to transition so we'll wait a couple years before doing any surgeries, and if at that point in time I decide I'm not comfortable with it, she won't go through with it. But I have a feeling that if I stayed all the way to that point, that it will no longer be an issue.

I mean, thinking about it in the most literal of senses, it sounds silly. I'm ok with her dressing as a girl but if she chops it off I'm suddenly NOT? What kind of a hypocrite would that make me? I used to call myself pansexual yet I'm having doubts about my wife being trans?

So for me, I just need to slow down and take it a step at a time and it feels better inside. Don't worry myself with the end results and just cherish the time I'm spending with my love as of right now. Thank you all for your words of encouragement. You've all helped me so much.

12. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Glad that you finally found help here... And sorry if I hurt you, I never was a good PR, that's why I have the signature, kind of a warning :icon_wink

Anyways, I wish you both the best. You knew her as a man and fell in love back then. This is going to be probably one hell of a ride for both, but if you keep being honest, having an open mind and being aware of your own needs, it might be possible.

I also agree with Lazuri that you could still be there after a breakup, as friends. This society tends to underestimate friendship, when it's actually one of the most clean and honest kind of relationships between two human beings.

Please, feel free to keep us updated. It's great to hear how things really are at the other side. We can learn a lot from each other (*hug*)

13. Puddincakes

Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh no, You are fine :slight_smile: I needed your side of things. Really, thank you so much. It wasn't so much you, but just the thought of not being with her. I'll definitely keep updating things. I'm sure I'll be back plenty of times once the transitioning actually begins :slight_smile:
    Again, thank you all so much!

14. Lazuri

Good to see we managed to help you.

Your wife is obviously welcome here as well.

15. MisterTinkles

As you have seemed to already gotten advice, this will just be my "two cents" worth...

Did you fall in love because of "he was a man", or because of his looks? Or did you fall in love with the personality of the person inside the male wrapping?

From what you described, you fell in love with the person inside, not whats on the outside. So.........what is changing the "wrapping" on the package deal going to be to you? If you love this person for who they are.........then I have news for you.......you already fell in love with the woman inside the male wrapper!!!

Who cares what the brain-dead moronic imbeciles of the world think! Well, thats the problem.....they DON'T THINK! That is why they are brain-dead imbeciles. Every time you hear some moron spout hateful things......just laugh at them and say "Geez, you REALLY love to show off your stupidity don't you"!!! And walk away.

Love has many faces. Yours is just getting an update.

If he lost both of his legs in a car accident, would you love him less?
    If he lost his arm, or got his face burned badly.......would you love him less?
    This is no different.

Companies update their product labels, boxes, cans, and bottles all the time.
    It's STILL the same product on the inside.....it just looks a bit different on the outside.

You love who you love.

You just have to be sure to follow all the proper steps to him transforming, so hopefully there will be no problems along the way. And for this, you will probably need to see a sex-change therapist/psychologist..........both of you.

There are plenty of documentaries on m/f couples who changed to f/f couples. I tried to find a couple for you, but apparently either I'm using the wrong search words or they aren't available online. But I am sure a therapist/psychologist can give you the names of some documentaries to watch.

16. Puddincakes

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for the wonderful analogies :slight_smile: I didn't really think about it that way.

17. Theron

18. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're a great wife don't listen to all the negative ass holes who tell you otherwise. You're awesome (*hug*) :thumbsup:

19. Taylor1985

goodness you take my feelings and type them out, some of them that I"m not even ready to deal with on my own yet. We went yesterday to get stuff to make a "bust tea" that will increase estrogen levels and promote development, and I started to think about what the increase in estrogen will lead to, and it terrifies me more than I can say. I had to take a bit and absorb into myself. I have said for a very long time that if you truly care about someone, then their happiness trumps your own. But I am so scared that during transition, or even post that I wont be the object of affection any more. Crazy, but true. I also feel as though there are things that I am not included in, although I am told that is not the case. I am just scared. This is all so new for the both of us, and I am trying to not let my fears and insecurities show, cause honestly, I realize this is not at all about me. But, as us as a couple, and IDK how to approach certain topics... LIke I said we have only been together for 5 months, and I left a 12 year relationship from to be with him, as he was having issues, namely that our 8 year old son was showing signs of being trans... I couldn't deal with his lack of acceptance. NOw I feel as though I am following. I completely support and want to be here. Thank you all for listening to me vent...