1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New - Parents MTF young adult - Need advice

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by parents, Mar 25, 2015.

1. parents

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi,

We are new here and are looking for advice or for other families who have come across their children breaking contact with their families.

We were told about two years ago that our child had always felt like a female and wanted to change over to being a female. We have been supportive with their decision and tried to learn as much as possible about transgender. Through that time she has started hormonal treatment which were are still worried about due to possible long term side affects. She also had been diagnosis with mild Asperger's and has had trouble with expressing emotions.

Last summer her younger brother and her went to different colleges that were some distance from us. We worked together on finding a college that had a strong support group on the campus. In August she moved into off campus housing and over time we have heard less and less and now nothing from her since shortly before Christmas.

Whenever, we tried to contact her she didn't answer for long periods of time and never voluntarily contacted us since, October. Our other son has also tried to contact her and tried to go to her place multiple times but can't get in to see her or leave a message since she has a security system.

Our cell phone has been disconnected, doesn't Skype, answer emails, or reply to letters. We do know she is very involved in many organizations. But, this is not only about us, we also have a teenage daughter who has autism and doesn't understand why her sister doesn't contact or want to see her.

We recently go a letter from the insurance that the request for in-patient mental health care had been denied for the second day. We contacted the hospital but they wouldn't give us any information since she is over 21.

We are at a point in time not to know what to do with no contact from her. We do know she is facing stress in her life from grades to money issues. We have offered to help in our contacts to her but not received any contact back. She has also stopped having contact with friends, it is as if she doesn't want to have any ties to anyone in her past.

What to do...

2. S0apB0x

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Goodness. This is a tricky situation. If she came out to you guys and you all were relatively accepting, i don't see why she would completely leave you all behind once she got to school. Sometimes we all go a little overboard with the freedom we receive the second we are no longer our parents rooftops, but i am bewildered by your circumstance. I am a college student myself, and i still have relatively decent relations with my folks (whether or not that stays after i come out is a different story), but i know i went through a phase of distancing. I came right back though when i realized i needed their support financially and their advice... Hm... Have you got contact with any of her fiends on campus? You say she has a security system... Does that mean she is off campus? If so does she have a roommate you could contact? Or the land lord to ask them to check up on her? And worse case scenario, how hard is it to drive down there yourself? At that point in time i would probably take matters into your own hands and try and make contact with her. Your paying for her schooling, you have a right to know about her wellbeing if you're paying for some of it (or at least id assume you are. Don't want to make assumptions though)... Anyways. Please update us when you hear back. Sometimes it can just be the time getting away from us, and not knowing how to communicate how we feel to those we love so we just choose to ignore. Keep your alls heads up. Things will work out.

3. parents

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    While, we helped her financially before she went to college and shortly afterward, she didn't seem to want any financial help afterward. Part of that is because she got financial assistance from school that paid for her place that off campus but affiliated with the college. It is very strange because there is no intercom service and there needs to be someone down at the door to let you into the appt. building from one of the appt. Today, we left a letter on her door luckily because someone was coming out.

We have tried calling her cell phone and leaving messages: no longer in service
    Going to appt. where we live about an 1 hour 1/2 from and never know when she might be home or even if we can get in contact with her if she is due to the security system.

Called security to check on her in the beginning because she hadn't contacted us and we were worried something might have happened: She told them she didn't have time on her phone.

Used Skype with no response back. Emailed her college and personal emails and sent her a letter. She did contact us back when we told her we had received her refund check and needed to get it to her by skype.

She has even closed out her bank account in our town. So, there would be no way to help her financially even if we tried. We also contacted the LGBT organization at the college and told them that we were trying to contact her and were worried, but haven't heard anything back. We don't know any of her new friends or even if for sure she has one.:icon_sad:

Any ideas...

4. White Knight

I think your daughter see you as a part of the life she wants to left behind. At least it is what I understand from your describtions.

Another thing comes to my mind is being too deep in depression... At least it was what I did, trying to push everyone out of my life when mine were at its peak.

Maybe you can work out a deal with her... for you to let her alone she would call at least twice a month to let she is okay.

We all do/did very stupid thing when we were young. One of the most common misconceptions we had probably thinking our parents are invulnerable, they can handle anything... but they can't... you realize it when you get older and have children of your own... or cats/nephews in my case.

I don't know what else to say but give both to you and your husband virtual hugs and including you in my prayers. (*hug*)

Hope you can find a solution to this problem soon. Stay strong.

5. Innoscience

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, I'm a transgender female whose probably about the same age as your daughter (though I am in a different stage of my transition. I've yet to start hormones.)and I have been told by a former autism expert that I probably suffer from aspergers (and, by my current therapist, that a significant number of blows to the head as a child has damaged my sensory processing and cognitive functions, meaning instead of aspergers I have brain damage that causes symptoms of autism. I walk like I'm crippled, now, and have fragmented perception.), so I may be able to offer insight. If I didn't have access to my extremely accepting family because of their close proximity to my location; I probably wouldn't speak much to them either. It would not be out of disrespect or dislike, but simply that I'm to busy to do anything other than homework.
    The fact she doesn't respond to emails doesn't surprise me one bit. I don't even check my email. I get so caught up in other thing, such as this website, that my email is the last thing on my mind when I'm on the internet. I know I would accept no support from my family financially, but that's only because we're dirt poor. I can assure you your daughter has some friends. I am known for being completely silent for days at a time, and I have friends at college. Me! Friends!
    Keep trying to contact her, she'll respond at some point I'm sure. Isolation is rarely something people do by choice. I can't think of any direct means by which to help you, but leaving a letter on her door should do some good. The semester is coming to a close, and once the stress of college lets up a bit I think she'll probably get back to you.
    Good luck! I hope things work out.

6. TraceElement

I see it's been almost a month since you posted. Have you had any luck/response? Has the LGBT group responded?

7. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As an aspie myself, I can tell you, sometimes it's difficult socializing. Even with close family. There are times I go completely on autopilot, higher functions completely shut down for maintenance that can last weeks. Unneccessary, as in not needed to survive, communications DO NOT happen when I am like this. Perhaps that is what she is going thru?

8. parents

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well it has been a while since posting. It is now May and she has finished classes. We no longer even know where she is. Her brother saw her at her place by chance and found out she now has a new phone and number which she would not give him. She also asked him to leave and not to contact her anymore and that she was moving away.

We are seeking counseling through the school for our 16 year old daughter with special needs who wants to see her sister or at least her from her. We have written her and left messages with some of her friends that she has seen that live near us. But, have heard nothing back. This disconnect has been hard on everyone, but particularly on our daughter. If something were to happen that we needed to contact her we have no way of doing so if she also loses touch with her friends near us. We have had no direct contact from her now since before Christmas.

Do people who disconnect from their families ever return after they make a complete transition? Has anyone else gone through this disconnect from family member?

9. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as after transition, I'm not familiar, however I have heard of long lost close family members desiring to reconnect years or decades later...