1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapy didn't go well today

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by tgboymom, Jun 23, 2015.

1. tgboymom

J is in tears over today's therapy, so much so that I had the urge to drive out there and go see this therapist. J feels like this is one big test. The therapist asks questions and J feels incompetent with every answer.

J lives with a man. They were once engaged to be married before J decided to transition. T is fine with it and they've worked it out and are best friends who share an apt. The therapist starts asking what will happen with the transition if something happens to T. Of course J got upset. J was told to think about it and answer next week.

J was asked why surgery and hrt and J talked about being misgendered by strangers and apparently the shrink doesn't think this is a good enough reason. I was like.... was this shrink even in the same room with you? I mean.. did she notice that you look like a girl, not a boy? ::shaking head:: I'm the mother, I changed the diapers so, yes, I make the mistake of misgendering even though I am really working on it, but the shrink is using the wrong name and gender referring to J to other staff as MISS.

J was crying so hard that I thought that I need to beat this woman's ass! J isn't being sent to therapy to hear negativity! I calmly reminded J that I've got a guy lined up if J feels uncomfortable with this woman because not every shrink is a good fit. J said no because there are only 5 weeks left to get the letter IF the woman will write it. :eek: IF. I asked if I should come and deal with this woman and J laughed and said it was under control.

Is this a normal part of the process? J works outdoors in the heat and this day off was spent in despair. :icon_sad:

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    From what I have heard finding the right therapist can be extremely hard.
    Sorry if I say something weird or anything, I have therapy tomorrow and I'm really nervous, might shape my judgment here, but I'll try.

It seems like this is a really shit therapist, actually. maybe you could tell her once and for all "get your shit together" (in some nicer way... this got me mad too), and if she won't, move on, I think.
    If you can get the therapist or help J make the therapist improve, again, maybe, waiting it out for the letter would be a good idea.
    Then again, it could break J's heart if the therapist says no. So on that note, maybe it would be better to move on.

I totally understand your son's unwillingness to raze this progress. The hard truth is, it isn't necessarily progress at all, it could make him feel worse if she'll say no.

It's your judgment and J's... but keep talking to J and let him know that things might not work out but that if it doesn't, you have the back-up therapist ready. Also make sure to check that one is not a transphobe... And that if he decides to continue with this woman, everything is not lost even if she says no on the letter.

it's not normal, it's bad luck... make sure the next one is legit before starting therapy (if a next one is necessary)...

hope that helps at all

all the best

3. tgboymom

Yanno Becky, now I feel like I did this. I told J before the first appointment not to worry because therapy would prove to be cathartic. I told J that therapy was like taking an emotional poop and now I think it's causing more anxiety. J asked what to wear to the appointment and I said just be neat and clean and wear whatever is comfortable. They are not there to judge you and the ONLY power a shrink has is what YOU give them.

How long have you been going? I never felt anxious about therapy, but then again I know that if I don't like someone's attitude, I'd have no problem offering a verbal adjustment. ... physical if warranted and I have no problem throwing down with someone who messes with my kid. The thing is that I will not be here forever, and J has to learn to throw down when warranted. The only person J is getting forceful with is me .... and I'm the one that's ALWAYS on J's side, right or wrong. :frowning2:

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't remember how old J is. If over 18, then this is something that J probably needs to deal with directly. Unless this therapist is fluent with gender identity issues -- and it sounds like she may not be -- it's going to be pretty useless to continue going to her. So J could, at the very least, ask the therapist some pointed questions... how many gender-variant clients have you had in the past 3 years seeking gender reassignment surgery? Of those, how many did you write letters for?

That would give a good idea. If it's 50/50 or less... there's likely a problem.

But ultimately, it's going to be J's issue to deal with (perhaps with some help and encouragement from you.)