1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I made a Facebook announcement

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by tgboymom, Jul 9, 2015.

1. tgboymom

I got so tired of seeing the disparaging remarks and comments about how the LGBT community is ruining our country that I made an announcement on my facebook that my CHRISTIAN child is transgender and this was an opportunity for my "friends" to delete me if they so choose.

There is one that I deleted myself. This was my child's insurance/investment agent. I first sent a personal note referring to his disrespectful posts about Caitlyn Jenner and asked if this is how he felt about all transgenders. He said yes, that he's not a fan and then asked why. I told him that my child, his client, now former client, is trans and the communication was left at that.

My X husband blew a fit and called the company and asked for a different agent/advisor and told them that Jake's current advisor was making disparaging LGBT-aphobe remarks in a public forum and we REFUSE TO allow him to make money off of Jake's investments.

For the most part, my friends were supportive, but it's obvious that we have to investigate the professionals further. And so it begins! :dry:

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People are like that, unfortunately. Though it's really awesome to see you standing up for your son like that, I'm sure Jake really appreciates it. I know I would.

3. tgboymom

Thank you for the support... but I wasn't sure that I did the right thing. I guess I have to research advisors in the LGBT community somehow. I don't want. My kid dealing with such discrimination when I am no, longer around to provide protection?

4. sappho06

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You and your husband sound like great parents, and what you've dome for your son is awesome :slight_smile:

Someday he'll have to stand up for himself, but you're showing a great example as to how he should handle it. There will always be homophobia and transphobia, but we have to learn to deal with it. I can't say he won't have to face discrimination because I don't know, but what I know is that he has great parents who will be there for him whatever happens, and that about as much as a kid needs to go out and face life.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You have done an amazing job being supportive for your child. When it comes to discrimination, there will be a point where he will experience it. So, it would probably be better to teach him how to stand up to others and handle the discrimination. Like you said, there will be a point where you can no longer protect him. So, he will have to learn to himself.

6. Lazuri

Let me tell you something. 41% of transgender individuals do at some point attempt to take their life. Many of them are because they don't have parents like you. You can be extremely proud of yourself over what you're doing and I'm sure your child already is.

7. tgboymom

I sent Jake a note indicating that we are taking steps to get another financial advisor. Basically I said "I FIRED HIM". My ex husband and I have decided to make a 16 hour ride to discuss our final wishes with a niece of ours who is another loving, kind and honest person who runs a radio station so we are CERTAIN our wishes are carried out and the name change won't be an issue. My niece is a killer when it comes to getting things accomplished.,:thumbsup: