1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to help my sister

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Twinny, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Twinny

Twinny Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My twin sister is still questioning her gender, so I've been trying to give her a sort unprofessional therapy and just been there for her to talk to, as she's been really struggling and stressing. I've put in research, and convinced her to try a professional test about gender identity, but she says she still needs time to think and I feel like I'm getting to her. Maybe I'm just not handling this right.

2. RunicSquirrel05

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would just make her aware that you are there for her no matter what and I think presenting her with the tools that are out there is a great thing.

However, be careful not to push too hard because she may not be ready to take the step of professional help/tests to confirm what she may already know deep on the inside. Of course if your sister were to make any attempts or indicate that she may hurt herself or others then you need to go to through the proper channels. But by pushing her it could strain your relationship or upset her deeply. She may just need time to really digest that moving onto professional help and tests is the next step.

Just be supportive and have a loving relationship with her.

3. Twinny

Twinny Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've told her I'm always here, and explained that she never has to be or feel alone with or because of her Gender Identity and feelings about it.

I do realise she needs to do this on her own when it comes to actually realising her real Identity, and I'll do my best to help. But when she tells me how she feels, I just want this questioning thing to be over so she can feel better again. But thank you for the advice, I'll try my very best not to push her or bother her.

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hey, Twinny! (*hug*)

You have been an exemplary sister :slight_smile: Your title is more than earned!

I think you're doing just the right thing.
    Just continue being supportive!! :slight_smile: In modern, Internet-talk language, "you're doing it f***ing right!"
    :slight_smile:

5. Twinny

Twinny Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Aww! Thanks so much! (*hug*)
    I'm glad to know I'm doing everything how I should be! :slight_smile:

6. David21201

I wish my sister would be like this! you are doing a great job! :3

7. Twinny

Twinny Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Aw! I wish everyone was supportive, I guess knowing that their not helps motivate myself to support my sister (if that makes sense).
    Thank you! I try! :slight_smile:

8. blossoms

blossoms Guest

I think you're doing a wonderful job at supporting her! Discovering your identity is a hell of a journey and it's more often than not, really very difficult. It takes a long time to feel comfortable with who you are, so just continue being there for her to talk to, and supporting her and I'm sure that within time she'll start to find things a little bit better. If only everyone could have a sibling like you!

9. Twinny

Twinny Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Aw! Thanks! I'm trying my best to support her! :slight_smile:

10. Oh Lilac

You're a wonderful sister! It is surely awful to see your loved one in pain. It is unfortunately a slow, difficult journey. Just keep being there, showing her love and support. That is all you can do, but it is also a marvelous thing.

11. Twinny

Twinny Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you! It's very difficult, but if it means she'll feel better then it's worth it.