1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice please - my 12 year old has told me he is gay

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by daisy35, Aug 3, 2015.

1. daisy35

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello everyone,

I am new to this site, I was googling some advice and this forum seemed like a very supportive one with great advice.

Yesterday my 12 year old son told me he is gay. I told him that he was amazing, I am proud of him and as long as he is happy that's all I care about. He said lots of his friends know and are fine and normal with him.

He is very very grown up for his age is so mature. Now I have had time to digest this info I feel so so sick with worry I haven't been able to eat today and I feel so upset. Not because he is gay but I am so worried he is going to get bullied when he is back at school or his friends that are boys will alienate him and not want to be around him. I can't stand it. Most of his friends have found out in the holidays so its when he goes back to school and everyone knows that I'm worried about.

I have tried to talk to my son and he is totally comfortable and open with it, said everyone will be fine and for me to stop worrying. He isn't worried at all. I am also worried about him doing things he shouldn't online but he said to me he was gay before I knew and didn't do those things so why would he do them now. He is so sensible!
    Can anyone give me any advice?? Or will these feelings I have just pass?

Thanks.so much

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey daisy35,

Welcome to EC!

First, congratulations in being such a great, supportive mom! :grin:

About bullying, make it clear that you will be there for him in case he needs help, and that he isn't alone. But, by what you described, he is confortable with himself, you are a supportive mom and he has friends that already know that he is gay, so i don't think you will have big problems here.

About doing things online, it is the same talk that you would have with a straight son. It is important to talk to him regularly about the dangers of the internet and how he should use it without compromising his safety.

It is normal to be surprised, but take a deep breath, everything is okay (*hug*)

The forum is here if you or him needs help, don't be afraid to ask :slight_smile:

Hugs

3. gillisland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually came out to my mother today and she was fine with it. She thought the same thing. As I can think the same as your son, you shouldn't worry. If he does get bullied that's when you step in, but until then don't worry.

4. 50ishandout

Most schools have a Gay Straight Alliance Group. I'm sure if there is an issue and you bring it to the attention of the school administration they will deal with it appropriately.

Just make sure your son knowas you are there for him.

5. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

It's very hard for a mother not to worry.. But I do agree with this! Don't worry too much Daisy.. any ''bullying'' hasn't happened yet so it's not even something that should be focused on right now. The main thing you can do is just support your son.. and you're doing very well! Good luck x

#5 ChloeKiss, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  6. 50ishandout

Also, I have a niece who through high school was gay who now is in a heterosexual relationship, and a nephew who is and was through high open and out and they never had an issue. I would have known I was the Chairman of the School Committee.

Things are better today. Bullies are much more monitored today.

7. Clay

Your worry is actually a normal and good thing. It's just common motherly instincts and a lot of parents with gay children said they've experienced a similar thing.

But your son seems to be fine with it. His generation especially, even within this past 5 years, are nowhere near as negative towards gay people as they were in your time.

If he's fine and happy you should trust him. As long as you make him know you'll always be there for him and you love him, and if he ever does get bullied he should always come to you about it, then he'll be fine.

So yeah, you're doing fine and you sound like a great mother.

8. daisy35

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks so much for your help and support. I hardly slept a wink last night with worry.

12 just seems so young to come out and I'm worried about the pressures that will bring and his friends alienating him and not wanting to be around him. Is that just a natural thing go worry about??

We are going out at the weekend and I am going to invite one of his friends so hopefully he will still come and if I can see things are the same that will maybe ease my mind.
    Is 12 not too young? He said he's known for a long time. What's your thoughts? Sorry, this is all unfamiliar ground xx

9. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It is natural to worry about this. Maintain good communication with him, so you will know in the case his colleagues aren't respectful, for example. But don't worry too much, be calm.

Around 13 is a common age for some people to come out and be sure about orientation, so he isn't too young for this. It varies of course. Myself, i only discovered myself when i was 19. My boyfriend, on the other hand, always knew he was gay, since very early on his life.

Don't apologize! That's why we are here! We are happy to help :slight_smile:

Hugs (*hug*)

10. dragon20

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just want to say I admire your son's courage. 12 may seem a little young but if he's sure of himself why not be out? You're a good mom for worrying a little but if he thinks he'll be ok it's his choice. Just make sure he knows you love and support him and all that jazz. I'm almost 25 and I still haven't told my mom. He's got a lot of courage and you're an awesome mom for being so accepting. :slight_smile:

11. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sure the situation has changed today than had it been just 10 years ago. There are other kids who probably are gay themselves, or have family members who are out. Would it be alright for you to check if his school has a non-discrimination policy? By the time he is an adult, it would be even more accepted. My thought is: if he said he's known for a long time, then it is true. I've known I was gay ever since I could remember (also around 12, if not younger), and it hasn't changed. Around the time of puberty might be a little catastrophic (as I'm sure it's been with everybody), but I would wager that it be even more so with gay youth. But since he's established his identity at such a young age, and has the necessary support system (props to you), then I could only think it'd be a lot easier on him later on.

If worse comes to worst and he does have to face with bullies, a lot of parents go so far as to change schools. If all his friends already know and are fine with it, I don't see how it'd change so much when he returns to school. But for now it's just "wait and see", and that's the scariest part I'd presume. I think inviting his friend(s) over was definitely a great idea on your behalf.

12. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you in Bristol UK ? There is a group called freedom youth which might be beneficial. I'd your worried about thinga at school it might be worth speaking to his head of house who can keep an eye on the situation.

13. Mags the Goron

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    First off, I'd like to say that you seem to be handling this extremely well. Your worries are probably showing your son that you accept and love him, and everything a mother should want.
    I would also like to say that there are many scientific theories (I don't know too much in the subject) which prove that homosexuality is determined when you are still in the womb. There are many cases where people discover their sexuality or gender much earlier than twelve. For example, I have memories of feeling exceptionally bigender, but I was unable to discover myself because I had little to no knowledge about LGBT+. I was twelve myself when I finally started to pick up on it.
    Me and your son's generation are extremely knowledgeable and accepting of LGBT+, and nobody I know has been bullied for their gender or sexuality.
    Also, I personally think that it's very good for your son to come out this early in life, because it means that coming out will be much less of a problem when he's older.