1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my 14yo step-daughter and breast-binding

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Elodie, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Elodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi guys,
    First, wanted to let you know what an amazing support you've been to me. Now, I have to come to you again.
    My pan 14 y.o. step-daughter is seeming to be more and more comfortable chatting with me about her sexuality. (Note how thrilled I am that she feels open and safe to talk to me about this stuff:slight_smile: )
    Today she talked to me about breast binding. Hmm... I know nothing about it. She showed me an instagram message explaining how to do it. I asked her if she'd tried it, she said no, that she didn't have the right tank tops for it.

I ask you for help on this one. I was thinking of going out and buying her a couple tank tops to let her experiment with, but I'm not sure what else i can do. I grew up thinking that more was supposed to be better not less in the breast department, so this whole binding thing is new to me. I assume she's trying out different gender expressions, but I'm not sure.

Any advice for me on how to be supportive ?

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, firstly thanks for being such an awesome step-mom!
    Sounds like she might be trying out different gender expressions. I've been doing the same thing, except what I do is I double up on sports bras. Maybe she could give that a try? If she decides she really likes it, you may even want to invest in a binder, which is something that helps flatten your chest. Buying her the tank tops would definitely be a good start.
    All in all, I think it would be a good idea to have a conversation to her about gender, and what's going on with the whole binding thing. Maybe then, you'll have a clearer idea of what she needs. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask EC in general :slight_smile:

3. alli o

alli o Guest

As for binding the answer above it great! So I have decided I am going to discuss with you how to support your daughter...the answer is simple you need to understand her and support her but also give her time and let her tell you things as she does don't force or assume anything. Which you seem to be doing! Good luck you are truly an ideal stepmom:slight_smile: