1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

for parents who are new to having a trans child

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by tgboymom, Aug 11, 2015.

1. tgboymom

The other day I was on Facebook and saw a post that said something about being lucky because not only is my son so wonderful, but also that I get to be his mommy.

I shared that to my trans son,Jake's, page. A few days later he im'd me and said that when he read it, he cried and said to himself "I'm so loved".

It was such a small thing, but it meant so much to him.

Little things can mean so much to a child who is going through this. As Jake is a 28 year old adult, I believe that even adult children can benefit emotionally as well.

2. Covalent

Covalent Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You sound like a wonderful mother. I wasn't so lucky, as far as acceptance goes, but it's heartwarming to hear of kids (adult and not) who were.

3. LezzyLizzyy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is always very nice to see people accepting members of the LGBTQ in their lives. Thank you for being you.

4. tgboymom

I'm so sorry. For the record, I was very upset and confused at first. I prayed that God would remove this burden from my only child. My child was so unhappy and in so much pain and I was unable to do anything about it...... until I realized that I COULD do something. I could help facilitate his transition. I could take the bull by the horns and get this thing going and be the same mother to this adult child that I was when he still needed me. I realized that he did still need mom to help figure things out. It's such a complicated mess of emotions. I'll be forever grateful to the folks here at EC. I had to cry it out here because I couldn't let my baby see me losing it. I figured he had enough to worry about.

Although I'm still very unsure about how I feel about this, I am sure of one thing. I'm sure that I spend a lot less time crying as Jake spends more time laughing and smiling and finally enjoying life. I'm getting closer to that place of comfort where every parent needs to be in order to leave their child behind in this world and die knowing that their kid will be alright without them.

That's all I ask.... well that's a lie...I asked Jake not to wear the nose ring when I visit because I do have a hard time looking at his beautiful face with that thing hanging out of his nose! I'm still his mother! :lol:

I wish every parent new to this situation would come here before reacting so I could remind the confused moms and dads that not only do their children still need them.....they need them more than ever.

Please share your experience that I may learn from you.

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2015 at 11:48 AM ----------

Thanks sweetie. I wish it came easier than it did, but it came. I had to grieve the loss of my daughter and that's ok, as long as Jake was able to let me do that and understand I will love him just as much as I did her. My God... I couldn't bear to lose my child.

5. Covalent

Covalent Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I came out to my (appearing to be) socially liberal mom who didn't take it well at all. She immediately made my life awful, verbally abusing me and policing who I was friends with, what I did and how I presented myself. Almost every day she would say something hateful about how I was "nature's mistake" (she's scientifically oriented), that I needed to be fixed and that nobody would ever love me romantically. I remember praying every night that she would wake up one day and understand. Unfortunately, that never had and probably never will happen.

She did get better though, using the correct name and pronouns, but she would use the wrong name and pronouns as a punishment. I thought it was time to talk about hormones t her, because she seemed to be getting to acceptance. Instead, she threatened to kick me out, take away my trust fund from my grandparents and stop paying for my tuition (I go r boarding school). On top of that, she lied to my family and close extended family and said that I said I hated her. It was a rough couple of weeks trying to convince everyone that I didn't say that.

I'm attending boarding school in the fall partially because my mom says she can't handle me being me and partially because living with her is absolute hell.

I hope you can take something out of my sob story.

6. tgboymom

:icon_sad: my heart is aching for you, child. I want to think that your mother is grieving right now and I hope she educates herself and apologizes to you. I also hope you know that you are not "nature's mistake"! You are just as God made you, and God doesn't make mistakes. (*hug*)

I've had many different thoughts go through my head and I think the biggest one was wondering what I did wrong to cause my child so much pain. As a mother, I can tell you that I felt like someone threw a grenade and blew up all the hopes and dreams I had for my daughter. I couldn't tell Jake that, of course. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this must be for him, so he doesn't need my issues to deal with as well. I know it sounds like we have a distant family dynamic, but it's quite the opposite. I'm getting a kick out of Jake's enjoyment of the changes from the hormones. I've sent this kid on several 3 week all expense paid trips to 7 countries. As an artist, seeing the Sistine Chapel should have been the highlight of his young life, but no. If I would have only known that a deep voice and a furry butt was truly what was going to make him happy, I could have saved a fortune! :roflmao:

I don't know your mother but I don't think I have ever met a mother that doesn't love her child. Maybe the next time she says something like that, you can gently explain that is not a path you chose and it's hurtful to hear these things. Oh, and I thought Jake hated my guts, but as time went on, I saw that this was just part of becoming an adult.

I wish you only the best on your journey..(*hug*) God be with you!!

Ps.. I gleaned a lot from your experience. Thank you for sharing.

#6 tgboymom, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  7. TomLayton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    You're a great mum. My mother doesn't accept me, so I'm stuck in misery.

8. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's great to see parents like you! It really is the small things that count. :slight_smile:

9. weirdkid128

I can only hope that my parents will be like you when I come out, but I am too scared to tell them. They have a tendency to say things that really hurt about LGBTQ+ people (ex. Calling some other my friends it because they're LGBTQ+).

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wish my parents would see this...

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The little things really do go a long way. You are an amazingly supportive mom! I wish that we would see some more parents out there that are as supportive as you are :slight_smile:

12. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    maybe print it out with the identifiers taken out for them to read?

just a thought.

to the original poster; you totally Rock as a parent.

#12 looking for me, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  13. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

You sound like you and your kids are communicating. My parents are doing the same, as they both had friends who committed suicide. I'm a sibling of a MtF sister and I am not sure of me (I think I am another MtF, but I'm taking hormone blockers.)

Enjoy you kids, parents.