1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My son came out to me this morning.

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by justkeepspinnin, Aug 13, 2015.

1. justkeepspinnin

This morning my son came out to me that he was transgendered. He did it over text which was horrible because there was no emotion. He wouldn't call me, he said it was because he couldn't and he has been wanting to tell me for over a year. He knows my position on the LBGT community is very liberal yet still he was very afraid to talk to me so I cant imagine how hard this was for him. We texted back and forth for about an hour, which is not unusual for him He is 22 in the NAVY and works a lot so he is super super busy, when he gets a chance to text with mom, I always take him up on that. He is usually silly and joking with me but his texts were emotionless. There was a lot of talk from him about how he was broken, messed up and worthless, which I of course countered. He said that he has felt this way since he was little and has always been mad that he couldn't be a little girl. I have always felt that he needed therapy as he was a very angry from pre teen on. His anger was usually directed towards me but I always attributed it to his dad leaving.

I have been thinking about this all day and there have been times when I have suspected that he was gay, I even remember asking him on at least two occasions and telling him that it would be ok if he was but it always ended with him telling me no and making those teenage psh mooom come on comments. I think back and can remember situations and they make more sense now.

I have alway taken the position that if either of my kids were gay I would be okay with that because I truly believe that people are born the way that they are but I never ever considered them telling me that they were transgendered. I feel helpless and don't know what I can do to make him feel better. That is the hard part about being a mom I guess. You love your kids so much and you hate seeing them hurting in any way. There is going to be a long road ahead for him. I can be there for him the best that I can but I am afraid for him.

2. QuecksilverEyes

First of all, welcome to EC, I hope we can help you here.
    Am I right to assume that your child is biologically male?
    If that's the case, you could start using the right pronouns, that usually helps a lot. Also, tell your child that you love them and that you accept them.
    When it comes to your child's issues regarding their self esteem, maybe try suggesting a therapist, but be careful, that can easily be misunderstood.
    I wish you both that you can sort this out (*hug*)

#2 QuecksilverEyes, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry that he did it over text. You may perceive text as "emotionless", but it was full of emotion no doubt; its just that texts are not perceived properly when you can only read words rather than reading, listening and watching expressions as you would in person.

You sound incredibility supportive. But even so, this is his own journey. And he needs to take the path that works for him. You might be a positive influence and have previously reassured him; but the rest of society still puts up barriers (even mores in the military). The good news is that he communicated, whatever form it took. And you should be happy that he reached the point where he could do so and he chose to communicate with you.

Be there for him, listen to him. Don't feel compelled to offer him advice, just offer him your support.

Your sound like a great parent.

4. Kaya-Sente

I second that you should find out what you child's preferred pronouns are and start using them. It's a massive gesture to make.

Coming out is super tricky and immensely terrifying. It's hard to get it right. Don't take offense, being transgender takes a lot of coming to terms with ones self, and few are willing to accept it.

If your child isn't ready to talk, make it clear you care. Probably start researching what it actually means to be trans as well of course. There are lots of incorrect notions on it, the biggest being that it is sexual. Trust me in saying being transgender says very little about ones sexual interests.

5. aguynamednick

thats a sweet thing for him to open up to u but the best thing u can do it tell him u support him no matter wat and inform him that he can become a girl if he wants to

6. Leon Vernanzio

You don't know how hard it is to come out face to face. It's just.... Scary. Today, my father was looking through my phone and found that I was on this website. I'm the opposite of your son (I would normally say daughter in this situation but I understand that's a touchy subject to you), I'm a guy with the body of a girl. He was shocked, confused, and I think a little bit angry. I wasn't ready to come out yet, I'm locked inside of my room right now. It could've been worse, and the fact that he told you is just showing how much courage he has. Just support his decision, he's an adult now anyway so it's out of your hands. I'm sorry if this didn't help.

7. KaelTail

I'm in a position now where I want to come out to my mom, and I can only hope she will be as understanding, caring, and supportive as you are. It's amazing that you are reaching out to understand what your son is going through, when many parents unfortunately buckle down and try to tell their child that they're wrong. I agree with a lot of the posters here, that a good first step to show that your support is to ask what your son's preferred pronouns are and start using them.

I've been going to support groups where, even though I have not made many physical changes, I am addressed by my chosen name and pronouns, and it has made me feel accepted and HUMAN in a way I have never felt before. For someone who has always felt out of place being assigned a role I did not fit, it is amazing to finally feel like I belong. It's normal to feel self-doubt when you are trans, leading to feelings of being "crazy" or "unworthy", and having outside affirmation of my identity alleviates so much of that anxiety and depression.

8. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I would suggest doing some more research on what it's like to be transgender. Coming on this site was a great start! And it's a great place to ask questions like this if you ever need to. If you are more informed about it, you'll understand your child better and they'll sense that. Ask them what pronouns they would prefer because they'll probably appreciate that a lot.

And don't feel bad that it was over text. Coming out can be incredibly difficult for some even when telling the most accepting people. For one, sometimes it can be something the person has struggled with for a while and simply saying it out loud is hard for them without getting emotional. And for a lot of people, it can just be a generally nerve-wracking experience, even if you know it will probably turn out just fine in the end. So definitely don't take it personally. As long as you show your love and support and put in the effort to use correct pronouns and be informed, your child will be very grateful. It's understandable that you're confused and a bit shaken up right now, but what's admirable is the fact that you came on here to ask for help and that you want to help your son.
    Best wishes.