1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6-year-old Sister a Lesbian?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Emmichan, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Emmichan

Okay, so I have a little sister who is six (seven in a few months) and she might be a lesbian or LGBT. One part of me is saying, "what, come on, she's only six." I strongly believe that people are born with their sexualities and that many people do know early in childhood, but at the same time she seems so young, especially as I began suspecting it when she was even younger.

I am not thinking this because she is a tomboy or anything; in fact, my sister is very feminine. Loves dresses, make-up, princesses, etc. She's a lot more girly me or her other sister actually - easily the girliest. The reason I am suspecting is because since she was really young she has always mentioned wanting to marry a girl. The first time something like this happened was when she was maybe four and said she wanted to marry me. (I told her she couldn't because we were sisters.) It has come out several times again and she stopped wanting to marry me, but she stills makes these hints. Like whenever she plays dolls she wants to be an "all-girl family" with all the girl children and two moms. When I was watching The Fosters and mentioned that the two moms were married she said, "yay" and watched for a bit.

One of the biggest things was a couple of months ago after a school lesson. We're homeschooled, and while we're really not religious my sisters and I have a Christian education. She and her other sister got to a lesson about Sodom and Gomorrah, and I was present when my mom read from a Bible storybook that the reason the cities were so sinful was because man married man and woman married woman. (I would say it was because the citizens thought gang-r****g visitors was okay, but back to my sister.) My mom stopped at this point to say some things about how she didn't necessarily agree with that, but the Bible kind of said it wasn't okay, but she wasn't sure it was actually sinful. She didn't come to a point but kept talking. Sometime during this, my sister started to sniffle and cry, and said she wanted to stop talking about it. My other sister just listened and asked a question or two. My other sister (who is more of a tomboy) has never made mention of marrying anyone but picks a husband to be while playing with dolls.

So, yeah, I think she might be LGBT. It feels strange because she is so young and probably doesn't understand the concept of homosexuality, but I really think she is. Obviously I would be accepting of that and currently I try to encourage her without exactly encouraging her to be gay. I don't think my parents or my other siblings know/suspect anything aside from my older brother to whom I mentioned it during the conversation in which I came out to him. My dad has never discussed anything concerning LGBT issues, and I can't tell if my mom is homophobic or not. She says that she would be completely okay if one of us were gay and she wouldn't care, but at the same time she was against same-sex marriage and occasionally makes some comment that borders on homophobia. My mom isn't abusive, but she would definitely not win any mothering awards and is generally unsupportive, As I am queer myself and feel very strongly about LGBT issues, I feel like I have some sort of personal responsibility to make her feel accepted and encourage and educate her. I am not out, but I feel like I should come out simply so that she knows she is not alone.

Is there anything else I can do to support my sister? Is it impossible to tell at all if she is LGBT in the first place? I have just come to terms with my own sexuality after struggling with it for years, so even if we are both queer I have no idea what it is like to know you are different from a young age. Any advice? Please?

2. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    She's six she doesn't know what she wants, she'll probably know at puberty

3. heyKittie

I think she may be, or she could just feel strongly for the LGBT. but it is a bit unusual for a 6 year old to often mention marrying girls and actually cry and stop wanting to talk about gayness being a "sin." But she could possibly just do it because she's confused or doesnt know much about that stuff. You probably have to wait a while to find out though. For me though, I thought about being with girls and stuff before I was 10.

4. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, because she is SIX years old. Will she be when she is older? That's completely impossible to say. I wouldn't exactly be surprised given all the comments about the 'all girl family' and everything. However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if she wasn't.

5. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    she is six she will not understand it all till shes in ther teens, chances are shes going through the phase of kids thinking the opposite sex is ewwwy (to put it in a 6 year olds words)

6. Mags the Goron

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think, despite all the evidence, it is much too early to know for sure. I suggest keeping in the back of your mind, and occasionally casually mention that homosexuality is a thing and stuff. Maybe say that same-sex marriage was legalised in the US this year, tell her you're reading a book about a gay couple, etc. As Dollop said, she could just be going through the phase of thinking boys are gross, but she could also be homosexual. I think dropping a few hints here and there will help her find out more and think it over a little, until she makes up her mind. You could tell her that, if she ever finds out that she's not cisgender and/or straight, you will always be there to support her. Hope this helps!

7. Summer Rose

The questions is, as the question should always be: is she too young to feel attraction, like a crush? If girls can feel attracted to boys at such an age, nothing should change if the genders are the same, except a higher rate of rejection. I would say to give it more time, but try not to pass it off until there's a clear sign.

8. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Awww this is so cute! My advice to you: tread carefully. Of course it's not a bad thing to be supportive of your sister but yes you should very much so keep a distance from encouragement (mainly because she may be too young for a more head on approach'' and she may repeat words to your mother (who wants that?)

You're a good sister from what I can see so far. Keep doing what you're doing! Good luck x

9. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    6 years old seems way, way too young to know about such things, gay or not. :dry: I'd wait until she's at least in her pre-teens (like 11/12 years old) or early teens before asking her about it. But for now she should just enjoy being a kid. :eusa_danc

#9 Canterpiece, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  10. CameronMR

Kids explore their own sexuality from very early on. Check out one of Meg Hickling's book or dvds at the library. I went to one of her seminars when my oldest was a kid and it was very informative! Anyone with kids should. Lol she's an RN and sex educator.

#10 CameronMR, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  11. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think it could go either way. I think you just have to support her and help her to know that she can confide in you, but I wouldn't to her that you think she may be LGBT+ because this could confuse her further or feel like she needs to hide it (because she would think she's being obvious and wouldn't want your parents to know).
    Maybe you could talk to her about the Bible thing if it comes up again, just say there's a lot of things the Bible could mean, it's not necessarily about homosexuality or however you want to explain it to her.
    Other than that, just don't act like anything's up. If she wants to play dolls with you, you could just be like "which mom am I?" that kind of thing. Just support her and encourage her and if down the road you want to come out to show her it's okay, that would be great too. You could even tell just her that if you're not ready to tell your parents (although if you do that just make sure you don't tell her you're afraid to tell your parents or anything, that could scare her).

12. guitar

I know gay men and women who knew they were at 5 years old and they ended up being gay. I'm not aware of people who thought they were gay as a kid and wound up being straight after puberty, but I suppose it does happen.

She's still young and nothing can be known for certain until she enters puberty (or even much later). Just love her, support her, and know your sister could be lgbt :slight_smile:

13. mallix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I wouldn't worry about it now.
    She will figure it out, just let her know you'll always love her no matter what.

When I was about six, my sister asked me if i wanted to marry a boy when i grew up, i said something like "ew boys are gross, i'm going to marry a girl" so you never know lol

14. FootballFan101

Shes six shes basically asexual until puberty hits her

15. wanderinggirl

The best you can do is let her know you'll be there for her no matter who she loves. Unconditional support is wonderful anyways, whether or not you're gay. I'm sure she'd appreciate being reminded of this.

16. Willa

Your littlesis might be gay. She might not be. At her age, she might just think that boys are icky. Who knows? It doesn't really matter. She's just your sister.

17. flitterpad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's very possible that she might be gay, but I think you'll just have to wait and see. I wouldn't advise coming out unless you feel safe and comfortable doing it. Come out if you want, but do it because you want to, not for your little sister. It would make it easier for her if she is queer but I think coming out is something you have to do just for yourself.
    Good luck! :slight_smile:

18. RainDreamer

Maybe, maybe not, there is no way to know until she tell you herself. It is a bad idea to assume these kinds of things. Be supportive either way.

19. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your sister's behavior isn't the average behavior for a straight person at age 6, but also it is definitely too early for anyone (including her) to know if she's gay. People usually don't start getting crushes until closer to 4th and 5th grade. The best thing you can do is to not assume anything about her yet, but to make it clear that you're supportive of lgbtq people so if she does turn out to be gay, she'll always know you'll support her.

20. iamdesperate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well... All i wanna say is that you should keep in mind that girls hates boys, like boys hate girls too, in a very young age. That may be the reason she wants to build a family all-girls while playing with dolls since it seems the family is gonna be nicer off those "annoying boys". It is too early to say she has an attraction for girls, so dont worry, there might be a decade for ,not even you, but her to find that out.