1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changes from HRT

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by tgboymom, Sep 24, 2015.

1. tgboymom

My F - m son has been on hormones for over 2 months now and although the changes are making him happy, he seems to be undergoing some personality changes that have me walking on eggshells lately. :icon_sad: Every little thing seems to piss him off. He is always so annoyed with us lately. He was angry with his father for arranging for J to pick up something which his father purchased at a store a mile away from the apartment, and J ranted that he was tired after work and was angry because his father called a second time in a week when the store reported the item hadn't been retrieved. Note....we live a good 9 hour drive and we strive to make gifts as convenient as possible, but sometimes it requires a small effort on J's part.

I listened and asked if anything else is happening. He said that everything is fine and this is daddy's fault! I responded by saying that his father thought he was doing something good and the attitude was unwarranted. I asked if the testosterone could be a reason for his anger, because this is not like him. Of course he said no. I spoke calmly and reminded J that he needs his father ' s support right now so for the sake of keeping peace, can we choose our battles a little more wisely. I reminded J that his father is a 70 year old man, and sometimes we need to be a little patient and asked that an effort is made not to alienate him.

Honestly, his father did nothing wrong. He was just trying to give J a gift. Mind you, this is strange. I'm the first one to hop on pop for being ridiculous, but I didn't see a problem. I then find myself pleading with J not to make waves over something so irrelevant because I need his father's $ to continue financing the transition. I can't do it alone.

Could it be the hormones? I feel and hear aggression I've never heard before and I'm beginning to feel distance. For example... he "told" me to make his doctor appointment. When I got the information, I called and gave him the date and time and told him I'd make a deposit to his account to cover the appointment and expenses and he was like "ok bye". ???? I'm getting too old for this. :icon_sad:

2. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    His behavior is fairly normal, when you start taking hormones you effectively go through a second puberty, you become moody and emotional and you often start behaving in a stereotypical male or female manner depending on the gender you are transitioning towards. The mood swings will pass as his identity stabilizes and he starts establishing a more mature male gender identity. It does take time, so be patient with him and maybe read a bit about coping psychologically with having a son who is going through puberty. (*hug*)

3. tgboymom

Once again, thank you. I'll do that today. I know his father won't do it so I'll TRY to talk to him and ask for patience. When his father throws his hands up and says "I give up", I have to do double eggshell walking.

#3 tgboymom, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  4. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It reminds me of an uncomfortable conversation that I had with my father. So i was taking to him about transitioning and how hard it can be for me when I'm misgendered and how vulnerable I am right now and one thing lead to the other and my father told me that even if I am a woman I need to cotrol my emotions better as I am after all not a teenage girl. I didn't have the heart to tell him that if he thinks that I'm emotional now, things are going to be get very interesting once I start HRT... :icon_redf

Try to remember that once your son's identity stabilizes, everything will be worth it, you will see him for the first time as the person he was meant to be. He will know who he is and hopefully feel truly comfortble in his body and he will no longer be living behind the mask that made his life so hard to cope with throughout his life. (*hug*)

5. tgboymom

First of all. I resent that. I'm a female and never went off as a teenage girl even when I was a teenager!! LOL :roflmao: I was more the type to be tough.

Let's pray that evening out happens sooner than later. I've already been through this once. Haha. The hard thing is now I'm walking a tight rope. Hormones or not, I think it's foolish to alienate the only allies. I must say that Jake has a genius IQ and I hope he uses his intellect instead of his anger. I'll hang on until I die, but it will be easy for others to walk away from the anger. Yanno what I mean?

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, this is a common thing to experience when first starting HRT. With time, it will even out. It is a frustrating part of the process to go through though..

7. tgboymom

I'm glad to know it's normal. I'm not thrilled with having to go through this stage again, the stage where I feel my kids hatred for us, but I don't have any alternative. Sigh.....

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sucks having to go through it again on our end too. The only good thing is that at least this time it is the right puberty. Hopefully as he becomes more used to T his mood will be more stable.

9. tgboymom

Brad, I realize that this is no picnic for Jake which is why I didn't throw my hands up like his father did. I think it only reasonable for the shenanigans to be held at bay just like the first time around. Trust me, as a parent, I've taken much more disrespectful attitude than I would have EVER taken the first time around. No matter the situation, mutual respect is essential for a good relationship. This transition is double sided. Just because I'm not taking shots doesn't mean I'm not going through it. I'm still a mother and we do feel our child's pain as much as ever. I don't want to whip out the "I'm the mother" card. I'd rather he just realize that I'm not the enemy. (*hug*)

10. tgboymom

I spoke with Jake a little while ago. I called him (as usual lately) and began the convo about some financial things. I let him know that I put extra in his account and got account numbers for stuff I'm going to pay from here. Jake's job is done for the winter and doesn't start up again until April so I rolled the dice and took the chance to go back at him about the ichiology program at the University again. I told him that I understood concerns about being misgendered and suggested he do any courses he could get done online. I told him that we'd do everything we can to cover it. He's already got an Associates with the advanced maths out of the way and he has special gifts in math and science so I can see him just blowing through the biologies, but the labs will probably have to be done on campus. I tried to say that the gender dysphoria does not define him and it's a waste for him to ignore his God given talents while transitioning. I reminded him that the world is a different place now a days and he might find his contemporaries more accepting than he thinks.

Surprisingly, he listened instead of getting angry this time. I told him that I have EVERY confidence that he'll have his bachelors in no time with his talent, and attaining his degree and working toward his doctorate will prove to be as beneficial to his life as continuing his transition journey. I pray that this sunk in. There is more to him than only his gender!

Am I wrong?

#10 tgboymom, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  11. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You were completely right and saying that gender dysphoria doesn't define him at this stage of your journey is a powerful statement considering your acceptance of him and your support. Of course, if he would have reacted badly you would have needed to be careful about how you responded but as he didn't you can be at ease. I just wanted to say that this is a situation in which you can see why acceptance is so important for both you and your son. I know that I become much more willing to listen to feedback and advice given by the family members that accept me and if someone would do so fully, like you do, I would probably follow their advice without much hesitation if it was reasonable. That's really what happened with my older brother. Last time I talked to him I felt that he was genuine about his acceptance and his actions showed that to me, it gave me the strength to move forward a step and go to a therapist which he helped me arrange.

I hope everything works out for the best and you continue to grow and your son finds true happiness!

(*hug*)

12. tgboymom

Oh sweetpea, I'm happy to hear of this positive experience with your brother! He just wants the best for you and he was able to convey that!

I truly do not believe that Jake is no one but a f - m transgender. Yes, that's a part of his goal for his happiness, but so is a lucrative and fulfilling career.

Ok...complete honesty here. I'll lay it on the line. I'm frightened. As long as I'm alive, I will back him up. What happens when I die? I absolutely need to feel confident that he can support himself and doing that with something he loves is a bonus! He still sells his art, but there are good times and bad with that. Sometimes he stays up all night trying to catch up on commissions and sometimes nothing comes in for a month so I think it wise to have a career with a steady income as well.

I just have to catch him in a good mood! Testosterone or not....life issues are as much of a priority. He is soooooo much more than gender.

#12 tgboymom, Sep 29, 2015
  13. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Of course he is more than a transman... this is just a stage in his journey. He will in a few years time simply be a grown man and as such he will be more than capable of taking care of himself, no matter what the world throws at him. One thing to keep in mind is that while we can be really vulnerable during transitioning especially if we don't pass well, this only lasts for a limited time. Eventually, we simply blend into society as people of the gender we are transitioning towards and live relatively normal lives. Most of the cases of violence towards trans individuals happen during this transition period which is why family support is so important during that time. He might be struggling at the moment to create a stable life for himself, however, this is natural as he is still in the initial stages of forming a more stable identity. In time he will find his calling and his path in life and it should happen sooner than later. You can't really know what the future will bring and as such it's important to focus on the present and doing your best to enjoy the journey and making the most out of what you do have in life: love, friendship, laughter, tears and the many other human experiences that give so much meaning to our time on this earth.

Much love,

(*hug*)

Yael

#13 Eveline, Sep 29, 2015
  14. tgboymom

Well said, sweetie!

15. tgboymom

Another honest note. I've been talking to my husband about selling out here and moving to Jake's town. I think he should get what every other guy who lives away from home gets. I could clean his house while he's at work and leave nutritious meals. An added bonus is that I can train him. He's got a bench and there's a full gym in the complex. I worry about him training on his own. I bench 225... not bad for a man, nevermind a woman, and I know he'd do better with a trainer. I had one most of my life and I have learned soooooo much about form and proper nutrition in weight training. I can help! (!)

16. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm... personally, I would object to my mother coming over to clean my house and make meals for me; I would find it intrusive. He is building up an independent life for himself, you probably need to give him the space to grow as a person and mature. Remember, that your fear is that he won't be able to cope without you, by moving there and dedicating your life to making his easier, you are actually risking making this fear a reality. If you do move nearby, the focus should probably be on strengthening family bonds, organizing family meals once a week and being there for him if he needs emotional support.

#16 Eveline, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  17. tgboymom

Jake HATES cleaning, so I thought if the house could get clean without his effort, it might be doing him a solid.

You are right....I didn't think of that...I'd be making my fear a reality. I think it's instinct to want to protect him a and I have to learn to stifle that.

---------- Post added 30th Sep 2015 at 04:51 PM ----------

I'm still worried about training though. J says his bf will spot him but I can't see that skinny gut lifting a bar off of my kid's chest! We talk about it...ie. I let him know to work only the bar until his stabilizer muscles are ready, but I can't spot him from here. Frankly, I'd love to see him become as strong and muscular as I am and that testosterone will go a long way to helping to build muscle! Man... I leg press 550. I'd LOVE to see him surpass that! LOL

#17 tgboymom, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  18. Willa

These behavioral changes are mostly normal. Testosterone causes major changes in mood and the way that a person processes their emotions. It lowers a person's capacity for impulse-control as well. Three major things happen when you start T: You get hungry, horny, and angry. It does eventually level out though as your system adjusts to the changes. Don't worry- your little one will level out and be sweet again. In the meantime, try to just talk to him calmly about the way his behavior makes you feel. I can tell you that saying things like"Your tone is very hurtful" will just make him feel guilty. Try something like "I can tell you're feeling some anger. I know you don't mean to, but sometimes when you get like this, you hurt my feelings. Is there something I can do to help you with what you're feeling?"

19. tgboymom

That's close to what I say. I communicated more of a question such as, "this doesn't sound like you, could the testosterone be causing your anger". Angrily... he tells me NO! I always ASK if there is something wrong... something of which I'm not aware.

Before the anger, we laughed about the hungry and horny part. LOL

20. Ineedmywaifu

Out Status:
    A few people
    Just wondering, does hormone puberty of the emotions mean more dysphoria and less control? Or is it only the outbursts of emotions.