1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 11y daughter wants to tell her girl crush

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by kabubi, Sep 30, 2015.

1. kabubi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi.
    I have a daughter who is 11 years old. We recently had a conversation about crushes. It started when I asked if one of her friends had a boyfriend, we talked about how silly it was to have "boyfriends and girlfriends" when you are in middle school. I mentioned to her, that having crushes and liking people is normal, but that it is such an early age, many things can happen. I have always tried to be gender neutral with both my daughters when we talk about relationships, mainly because I want them to realize there are many types of relationships, not only heterosexual.
    Anyway, this conversation ended with her telling me that she indeed had a crush, but that she was very confused and worried about it, because it was different.
    I told her, "that´s ok. You can tell me if you want, or not, but I want you to know that I am willing to listen and I love you always. Whatever you feel, there is nothing ever that you can do to change that". So then she told me she had feelings for one of her best friends.
    She said " I don´t know if this means that I am gay". and then asked me what I thought.

So, honestly...this was no surprise to me, but I didn´t want to tell her what I thought. I don´t want to influence her either way. So I said " I don´t know what it means. It means you like her. That´s it. You don´t need to give it a label. You may find that you don´t like her in a month, you might find you like her and a boy, or you might later realize you only like boys. That changes. You will figure it out eventually, but you don´t have to do it now. Just enjoy the feeling".

Later I told my husband, who basically told her the same: "we love you.Whoever you choose to love is fine with us, but take it slow. You are 11, you are not old enough to be in any relationship, you are old enough to explore, have friends and discover yourself".

So...here´s the question. We do believe that she is not old enough to act on her feelings, we had talked about this, it doesn´t matter if she is gay or straight. She is 11.

But, kids in middle school, and particularly her best friend, whom she has a crush on, is pressuring her to share who is her crush. Now this girl comes from a super conservative and frankly homophobic family. I have not intervened in the friendship, because she is a good kid, has the same interesests as my daughter. But now, I am so scared about what can happen to her. She has no idea how mean and ugly and cruel people can be. So, I don´t know if I should break this bubble and tell her, that if she opens up this early to this people, she is risking lots of tears.

Do I tell my daughter, lie don´t tell people who you are? Do I encourage her to be brave and open up? She is 11. What if she later changes her mind? or what if she is Bisexual?
    this is a lot to understand for most adults. She is very mature, but I am sure her friends, and particularly their parents, are not as open.

I don´t want her to feel like she has to hide who she is, because she is amazing. But yet, I am so scared for her safety.

Thanks for your help.

2. TraceElement

Congrats on being such open and loving parents! In regards to her friends family, just remind her that some people don't always respect other sexual orientations, and can be mean about it.

3. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are really an amazing mother <3

I think you should warn her for sure, and also remind her that said friend comes from a rather conservative and possibly homophobic family, but if she chooses to say it, she should.

In my personal experience, I've gotten mostly friendly reactions. I tell people who I feel will be supportive- people who don't use "gay" as an insult, who don't think it's weird or wrong. I have come out accidentally to a few people who were homophobic, and it's very hurtful. Tell your daughter she should only tell people if she can face possible negative reactions

4. Aldrick

Hey Kabubi, I want to start by saying that you and your husband have done a fantastic job with this situation. It is textbook perfect. You encouraged her to explore her feelings, told her that she doesn't need a label, and you've empowered her to figure things out on her own. Over the next several months to a year or so, she'll likely have a better understanding of her feelings--as she moves through puberty as nature will ultimately push her in whatever direction is right for her.

This situation I think might appear tricky, but I would invite you to see it from a slightly different perspective. You obviously want to protect your daughter from the bigoted and harmful people and beliefs in society. This is an understandable thing to do, especially when they are young and may be negatively influenced by them. Of course, your daughter is still young, but she is at a different phase of her life at the moment. Do you think you are really protecting her by shielding her from the ugly truth of the world in which she lives, or are you really leaving her vulnerable to making a bad decision because she does not have good information? I would say it is more of the latter than the former. By keeping her in the dark about how many people, particularly her friends parents, see gay people in particular, she is flying blind in a situation where she ultimately has to make a decision: to be truthful or to lie.

Obviously, I believe that you should fully educate her, and that this is the best way to protect her. However, this raises another problem, which is a moral / ethical problem for your daughter. Once she has this information, how does she react? Does she tell the truth or does she lie?

The best way to handle this situation is to create the proper perspective. You should educate and fully inform your daughter--don't let her fly blind into a potentially hurtful situation. However, you need to make sure that as you do this that she needs to understand this important point: She should not hide who she is because she is ashamed of something, because she has nothing to be ashamed of. She should be proud of who she is, no matter her sexual orientation, and she should in no way feel like she has to hide part of herself to win the approval of others.

However, that does not necessarily mean that telling her friend is the right thing to do. There are plenty of reasons to lie, not because you are ashamed of who you are, but because you want to protect yourself from harmful repercussions--as an example.

So, ultimately, you should handle this situation by telling her the truth, giving her the proper perspective (she should be proud of who she is), letting her know the potential consequences of her decision, and then stepping back and letting her make the choice.

There is no right or wrong answer here. It is her choice. However, the consequences of that choice are what she has to live with--whether they are good or bad. Learning how to deal with difficult choices and their consequences is part of growing up and becoming an adult. If your daughter is a lesbian, this will not be the last time the consequences of coming out are put before her--merely the first. This is a learning and growing experience for her, and it is an important part of her journey.

Empower her to make her own choices, then step back and help her deal with the consequences of whatever decision she makes. I think this is the best position for you at the moment.

I hope this advice helps.

5. kabubi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you so much to all of you for your kind responses.

Aldrick, you gave me a lot to think about.

As it turned out, I had a follow up conversation with her about the issue of telling her friend she had a crush on her.

Just in case this might help someone else, here´s how it went.

I asked her what had SHE thought about the issue. "So, your best friend, and the girl you have a crush on, wants you to tell her who do you like. Ok. How about we explore the possible consequences of each choice?"

These were my questions:
    On one side, if you tell her and she likes you too, great. But then what? what happens if she tells her parents?.
    She said that that would be a crisis, because her friend's parents are super christian conservatives, and probably would freak out and forbid her from being friends. "Well, and it is not even like I want to kiss her or hold hands, I just really like her, so that doesn't have to change", she said.

On the other side, if you tell her and she doesn't like you, what would happen? what if she freaks out?
    that would be the worst.

If you liked a boy, and he asked you now who was your crush, would you tell him? She said no, I wouldn't, that would be awkward, because if he was my friend, then probably the friendship would change.

I told her, well what do you think you should do?
    She said, that sharing who is your crush with your friends is a must, that in fact she knows her bf likes this guy. So she has to say something to keep the trust.

So, we thought it trough, and she came up with the idea of telling her that she currently has no crushes on any boys (true), that she had a crush on this guy back in June (true), and that she is more focused right now on her friends (true). And if the friend really presses for info. She will mention guys she thinks are cute, and that is it.

After that, I went back to talk to her about the issue of homophobia, and mentioned to her that, she is the only person who can decide what she likes, who she likes and who she is. I asked her, are you sure you only like girls? she said no, she had no idea. So I said to her, "well, you don't have to be sure, but, since you yourself are not sure yet, and you are still trying to figure this thing out, don't you think it would be wise to wait before telling other people? You can tell, but just be aware of the fact they also might not understand, they might have their own issues with it, and there might be a risk of alienating people right now, or risks for you from people who are afraid and are hateful of anything different".

She does not understand, and I realized is not aware, of hate crimes. So I had to tell her about Mathew Shepard. (I know this might be too harsh, but, I want her to know there is a real risk of telling the wrong people at the wrong time).
    So we cried together for a while, then, we talked about safety and how you have to know people before telling them those things that are important to you.

We finished the conversation laughing, cause she asked me how did I know I was heterosexual and at what age I had figured out I liked boys. I said 5 years old in kindergarten, and I never questioned it, but that's just me. She thought that was hilarious.

Anyway, hope this narration helps someone else.

It helps me to share, and hear your comments and advice.

We have a long way to go, but if something I am sure, and thanks Aldrick for reminding me of that, is that speaking with the truth and from the heart is the only way to go.

Send you all my best in your journeys..
    K

6. lilla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    hi Kabubi, I just wanted to chime in and say that you sound like an excellent parent! Your daughter is very lucky to have you! :slight_smile:

7. Kaboom

I don't have anything to add. I just wanted to say I think all that was wonderful and you handled the situation perfectly.

8. bonnie115

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i wish my parents were as nice as you

9. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome job handling this. Three cheers for this lovely mom!